[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anti-American flag-wavers

wiegie

This is heading for a big old :D

This is exactly the problem. When anything is incendiary to some, it cannot be allowed here regardless of what it means to others.

1399382[/snapback]

I'm not necessarily opposed to a display of regional pride or condoning Nazis, I just think that some Southerners who view the Confederate battle flag as a benign symbol seem to utterly have their head into the ground as to the reprehensible meanings some other groups have projected onto it.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus, dont forget our reparations!!! :D

1399384[/snapback]

We paid to rebuild yer crappy reason immediately after the war. Heck, the capital improvements continued at LEAST into the 30s, with the federally funded TVA giving you hayseeds electric light.

Big gubmint loves tossin' money at the South; why won't the South love big gubmint back?

We paid to rebuild yer crappy reason

1399390[/snapback]

I have no idea how "region" got mutated into "reason." Hopefully the sentence makes slightly more sense now.

I'm not necessarily opposed to a display of regional pride or condoning Nazis, I just think that some Southerners who view the Confederate battle flag as a benign symbol seem to utterly have their head into the ground as to the reprehensible meanings some other groups have projected onto it.

1399389[/snapback]

It seems like a more benign symbol would be the stars and bars that DMD linked to. It's not a "battle flag", and it hasn't been co-opted by hate groups, or given a negative connotation by misunderstanding northerners (or whatever). Pride of Southern heritage is not a bad thing. Why not fly that flag (unless you're trying to piss people off?) :D

I love black people.

Edited by AtomicCEO

But something tells me DMD and WW would be a tad upset if a cabal of prominent posters appropriated it as a group avatar.

1399362[/snapback]

Another dam cabal of huddlers? Jesus H Christ! Have you been talking to Skins again? :D

1399389[/snapback]

I absolutely agree. Though I do not in any instance condone nazism and find a rather large difference between a civil war in the US versus the Nazi party in Germany trying to literally take over the world and who used genocide as a tool. But the fact that you would equate the two, however incredible to me, is proof how perceptions mean everything.

I absolutely agree. Though I do not in any instance condone nazism and find a rather large difference between a civil war in the US versus the Nazi party in Germany trying to literally take over the world and who used genocide as a tool. But the fact that you would equate the two, however incredible to me, is proof how perceptions mean everything.

1399400[/snapback]

Both the swastika and the Confederate battle flag have been appropriated as symbols by racist groups is all I'm sayin'. :D

Although I might additionally say that despite the protests, part of the Southern heritage that the CSA was fighting to defend was their rights to continue to own slaves. But I wouldn't want to get the thread locked. :D

I rarely ever see that flag. And by rarely, I mean almost never. Except when the liberal media can find 20 hicks at a KKK rally or a Lynard Skynard concert. And it just tears you northern aggressors into quivering bleeding hearts every time you see it! Yes, i am laughing at you! :D

1399400[/snapback]

Yo boss! Yankees be stupid. Think they know everything but they cant pour piss out of boot with the directions on the heel. Their minds have been made up for them by a brain washing media that tells them that the south and southern symbols are the same thing as the nazi's. How ridicukously stupid can they be?

... part of the Southern heritage that the CSA was fighting to defend was their rights to continue to own slaves. But I wouldn't want to get the thread locked. :D

1399406[/snapback]

:D

No... that is not correct...

Man... that is just so unrealistic and misusing facts...

Is this "find my hotbutton" day?

:D deep breath... relaxing... 10...9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1..

Ah..

Yo boss!  Yankees be stupid.  Think they know everything but they cant pour piss out of boot with the directions on the heel.  Their minds have been made up for them by a brain washing media that tells them that the south and southern symbols are the same thing as the nazi's.  How ridicukously stupid can they be?

1399411[/snapback]

I don't equate Nazi Germany and the CSA at all. For one, the Nazis conquered all of continental Europe, northern Africa, and big hunks of Russia and the Middle East before being beaten back by some of the great generals ever to wear the stars (Ike, Patton, Montgomery, etc). The CSA couldn't even hold their home turf against that drunk Grant.

:D deep breath... relaxing...  10...9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1..

Ah..

1399421[/snapback]

Man, did ya see that big one I almost landed? Line snapped right before I hauled him into the boat... :D

:D deep breath... relaxing...  10...9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1..

Ah..

1399421[/snapback]

[instigate] Sissy [/instigate]

DMD, are you saying that the statement "part of the Southern heritage that the CSA was fighting to defend was their rights to continue to own slaves" is incorrect?

if you are, you're wrong.

1399435[/snapback]

Mr. Smuggly! Welcome to the conversation! With your first post, you have already shown how brutally ignorant, arrogant, and condescending you can be. Quite a feat even by your standards! But welcome aboard anyway!

BTW, notice how much Jazz came from the south... :D

Mr. Smuggly!  Welcome to the conversation!  With your first post, you have already shown how brutally ignorant, arrogant, and condescending you can be.  Quite a feat even by your standards!

1399439[/snapback]

So slavery was NOT any sort of factor in the Civil War?

Darn liberal textbooks....

I guess their definition of "history" down south is kind of like their definition of "science."

1399445[/snapback]

...or "dentistry" :D

Hey! Which one of you yellow bellied carpet baggers stole my new avi! That pic was awesome! And couldnt be offensive except to those who are always looking to be offended... :D

So slavery was NOT any sort of factor in the Civil War?

Darn liberal textbooks....

1399443[/snapback]

Bingo! The folks who win the war, are the one's who write the textbooks! Hello! Is anybody f'n home?

Bingo!  The folks who win the war, are the one's who write the textbooks!  Hello!  Is anybody f'n home?

1399453[/snapback]

::D

Although the majority of the American people-- including many moderate politicians like Abraham Lincoln--wanted to avoid Civil War and were content to allow slavery to die a slow, inevitable death, the most influential political leaders of the day were not. On the southern side, "fire-eaters" like Rhett and Yancey were willing to make war to guarantee the propagation of their "right" to own slaves. On the northern side, abolitionists like John Brown and Henry Ward Beecher of Connecticut were willing to make war in order to put an immediate end to the degrading institution of slavery.

These leaders, through either words or action, were able to convince the majority that it was necessary to go to war, and in order to convince them they justified the war with arguments that only indirectly referred to the subject of slavery (i.e., state rights et. al.).

Southern politicians convinced their majority that the North was threatening their way of life and their culture. Northern politicians convinced their majority that the South, if allowed to secede, was really striking a serious blow at democratic government. In these arguments, both southern and northern politicians were speaking the truth--but not "the whole truth." They knew that to declare the war to be a fight over slavery would cause a lot of the potential soldiers of both sides to refuse to fight.

So-was the war about slavery? Absolutely. If there had been no disagreement over the issue of slavery, the South would probably not have discerned a threat to its culture and the southern politicians would have been much less likely to seek "their right to secede." But was it only about slavery? No. It was also about the constitutional argument over whether or not a state had a right to leave the Union, and--of primary concern to most southern soldiers--the continuation of antebellum southern culture. Although the majority of Southerners had little interest in slaves, slavery was a primary interest of Southern politicians--and consequently the underlying cause of the South's desire to seek independence and state rights.

http://members.tripod.com/~greatamericanhistory/gr02013.htm

Neither Squeegie nor I are saying that the Civil War was SOLELY about slavery, but it certainly was an underlying factor that led the country down that path.