[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What would you do?

Wolv

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very generous, but no way in hell that I would involve myself with that trainwreck.

1431505[/snapback]

Like I said, it was an off the wall idea and I am not familiar with all the circumstances. He's probably already involved to a certain degree just by the mere fact that they are neighbors. Good kid in a bad situation? Sometimes it's hard to judge. My experience has been the rewards outweigh the risks, but that's just me and I don't pretend to know enough about Wolv's situation.

When I was growing up, we had a kid next door who was very loosely supervised and turned out to be a pretty crazy teenager, often involved in minor scrpaes with the law and stuff. one night, he came home stone drunk and proceeded to puke all over our front lawn and then passed out there, and before we even knew about it the cops were out front giving this kid a hard time. My Dad went out there and talked to the cops, asked them to cut the kid some slack, then he helped the neighbor kid clean himself up and get into his own home.

That was maybe thirty years ago. The kid straightened himself out and has alwsy been extremely grateful to my dad for the kindness he showed him that night. This "kid" (now a grown man of course) ended up inheriting his boyhood home from his folks and is once again my dad's next door neighbor. My Mom and Dad are in their late 70s now, still very capable, but this neighbor is an absolute godsend - helps my Dad around the house, especially with snow shoveling, watches the house when they go on vacation, etc. And believe me, it's a real comfort to me, living about 45 minutes away, to know that this neighbor is there for my folks in any time of emergency.

Hopefully this story doesn't make me a liberal, but so be it. :D

When I was growing up, we had a kid next door who was very loosely supervised and turned out to be a pretty crazy teenager, often involved in minor scrpaes with the law and stuff.  one night, he came home stone drunk and proceeded to puke all over our front lawn and then passed out there, and before we even knew about it the cops were out front giving this kid a hard time.  My Dad went out there and talked to the cops, asked them to cut the kid some slack, then he helped the neighbor kid clean himself up and get into his own home.

That was maybe thirty years ago.  The kid straightened himself out and has alwsy been extremely grateful to my dad for the kindness he showed him that night.  This "kid" (now a grown man of course) ended up inheriting his boyhood home from his folks and is once again my dad's next door neighbor.  My Mom and Dad are in their late 70s now, still very capable, but this neighbor is an absolute godsend - helps my Dad around the house, especially with snow shoveling, watches the house when they go on vacation, etc.  And believe me, it's a real comfort to me, living about 45 minutes away, to know that this neighbor is there for my folks in any time of emergency.

Hopefully this story doesn't make me a liberal, but so be it.  :D

1431534[/snapback]

Excellent.

sometimes kids just need someone to have some faith in them... someone that they are afraid to let down

The problem is the parents don't watch the kids. They let them outside on their own to entertain themselves. This includes a 6 and 4 year old. Of course the 14 year old can take care of himself, but he musn't be doing a very good job if he's always in trouble with the law.

Basically it came down to the parents letting him use it cuz it was a tool to keep him busy and near home, once again taking the easy way out from 'parenting'. While that may work for them, its an issue for me, especially when it involves my home, family, and peace of mind.

1431473[/snapback]

Hmmm, I'm not sure yet. The fact that he's a deliquent does throw a wrench into the situation but the fact that the kids play up and down the street without supervision doesn't bother me too much as long as they aren't destroying anything, ie... flowers, grass (to a point), landscaping, etc... if they are, then that's a problem.

I have a 13, 7, 5, and 2 year old and would hate for my neighbors to complain everytime my kids were in their yards to retrieve a ball, play catching, etc... but at the same time I would make sure they are respectful of the neighbors property. Obviously they do most of these things in our yard but sometimes it spills over into the neighbors yard.

But the fact that he's a potential trouble maker is not a good situation for the neighbors involved, I wouldn't want that hassle either.

My one neighbors usually jumps right in and will play with my kids. The guy on the other side just doesn't give a shiznit either way but his new wife is cool with them.

Edited by chiefjay

How big are her...oh, never mind.

1431572[/snapback]

I've tried to peek in the windows but have not been successful as of yet. She does not wear neighbor friendly clothing.

I've tried to peek in the windows but have not been successful as of yet.  She does not wear neighbor friendly clothing.

1431578[/snapback]

I'm sorry if I offended someone with this post considering no one responded. :D

Sounds like something I just did last night. I am trying to sell my house right now. I have a trashy neighbor who for some reason every three months or so will place a HUGH zebra striped rug on her fence and leave it there for weeks. Well I have an open house this weekend and darned if it was going to stay there until then. I aint knocking on this morans door either, they have a 1930's fridge in the driveway i'd like to set fire to as well :D

No more Zebra rug :D

No cat. They have a rottweiler tho  :D

Thats certainly the admirable thing. Unfortunately, until the culdesac gets built, there's no unobtrusive place for the hoop. I have been thinking about taking him fishing tho....

1431502[/snapback]

Deep sea fishing?

You talked to the parents... that was the right move.  They didn't want to do anything in the interest of keeping neighborly relations, so you did what you had to do in order to provide for your own peace of mind at your home. 

If it happens to come up again, then perhaps more drastic action would be necessary... but until then I think you've done fine, and I wouldn't ever bring it up to them again unless they have the audacity to confront you with the 'mysterious' events.

1431458[/snapback]

Savage beatings sums it up well here.

You handled it the right way. :D

Guest THEbigred
The problem is the parents don't watch the kids. They let them outside on their own to entertain themselves. This includes a 6 and 4 year old.

1431473[/snapback]

ie they're not only thoughtless, mindless, obnoxious low-class neighbors, but worthless POS parents to boot. Charming. Yet another example why I built my 2d house in the middle of 20+ heavily wooded acres.

PS more applause for how you handled it. Many limp-wristed yahoos would simply allow themselves to be treated poorly.

Guest THEbigred
I have a trashy neighbor who for some reason every three months or so will place a HUGH zebra striped rug on her fence and leave it there for weeks.

they have a 1930's fridge in the driveway i'd like to set fire to as well :D

1431632[/snapback]

How are things in Hampton Roads VA these days?