[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trading down....

hause62

I have the #3 pick in the first round of a 16 team draft for a brand new keeper League.....I was thinking of trading down to pick up a younger running back. Because it seems that S.Alexander will be the player that I will get..... I'm not saying SA will not be good, I'm just thinking of going young and maybe picking up some higher lower round picks. Maybe a extra second or third round pick.

I would be intrested in hearing anybody's comments...... :D

Shaun has at least two solid years left behind a solid O-Line and a prolific offense lead by a young QB. Who knows what the world will look like in year three. Cross that bridge when you get there. But do NOT pass on Shaun this year. Thank your lucky stars you will have him.

I have the #3 pick in the first round of a 16 team draft for a brand new keeper League.....I was thinking of trading down to pick up a younger running back. Because it seems that S.Alexander will be the player that I will get..... I'm not saying SA will not be good, I'm just thinking of going young and maybe picking up some higher lower round picks. Maybe a extra second or third round pick.

I would be intrested in hearing anybody's comments...... :D

well it would depend on how u look at it, do u have anyone in ur league who will be willing to trade u 2 or 3 picks to move up?

to me ur best bet is to move down 3 or 2 spots to maybe 5 or 6. and grab Steven Jackson! he will be the future of your team for years to come.

but keep in mind that if u do the trade that u MUST get some form of compensation, now if it were me I would prefer to swing a draft pick for next years draft in this deal, maybe a 2nd rounder.

so u will get either #5 or #6 in '06 and a 2nd rd in '07 for your #3 in '06, remember this for the future so the more picks you have ahead of you the better.

I would trade down in a 16 team league. Lets face it, top quality players will be thin. Do not give him away though, get a least a second round for him. This will also allow you to pick earlier in the round coming back and get the extra pick. Just my opinion though. I am sure there are arguments for keeping SA.

I would be more than happy to take LT2 or SA in a keeper league draft. They're proven commodities and they're in their prime. Ronnie Brown, LaMont Jordan, Steven Jackson, and Carnell Williams only have one season as starters under their belts. Reggie Bush, D'Angelo Williams, Joseph Addai, and Lawrence Mulrooney have yet to play a down in the NFL. Just go back to last year when you would have posed the same question except your targets would have been guys like Julius Jones and Kevin Jones.

Don't get cute. Take the money in the bank. Odds are that you'll still be able to roll the dice on one of the rookie backs in the second round if that's what you want to do AND pick up one of the Tier 1 WRs in the 3rd.

If you're that nervous about taking LT2 or Alexander and want a guy that's a little younger, I think Portis would be a very good alternative there.

Edited by tomfin2000

how many players are you going to be able to keep? i am in a keeper where you keep 8 players. i have learned for me it is better to play to win today and your bench can be the young guys who are a year or two away from being regular starters. at the end of the year you decide who is worth keeping sense you are going to redraft half your team anyway. dynasty league is a little different as far as stashing talent for the long haul.

i think a keeper league you still draft to win this year, without going overboard on older players aka, someone like dillon or cmartin.

and if it is a money league,that helps me play for today as well.

just thoughts to consider

i love the 3rd pick and i love SA. you get one of the top 3 players of the game in his prime and then you get the first pick coming back in the draft, over the 1 and 2 spots. i agree with the advice to not overthink this one.

Trading down is something the guy with the fourth pick should be considering. Spots 1-3 are lock picks.

I disagree. If you know how to draft and know what u will do in future yrs do it. But if you dont have a CLUE. Dont.

I had the 1.3 and traded it away.

It netted me...

L.Maroney RB

L. White RB

Vernon Davis RB

Lance Briggs - LB

and 4 other players.

But this was in a Dynasty league. So it really depends on how u plan your draft. The best thing is everyone is different the way they plan to draft in your league. And better yet some dont plan they just draft.