[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Katrina re-visited?

Randall

Wrong. People in a Do Not Go country should be on their own, otherwise it is the right and duty of our government to evacuate our nationals in case of an emergency. What exactly are "frivolous reasons"?

Going over there to tap a hot Lebonese chick :D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Katrina, you think our Gubment has the resources and the ability to evacuate 25,000 people or rebuild a city on a moment's notice? It's not like we have ships waiting by every hotspot on the planet. If you're vacationing in Beirut this summer, you might be a dumbass. If your city gets destroyed and you didn't listen to the warnings to leave, you might be a bigger dumbass. Unlike you, I don't expect to grab the Gubment's teet the second after I break a nail. :oldrolleyes:

I consider things like a junior year abroad to be a frivolous reason in the context of the overall instability there.

Look, the reasons for American nationals to be there are highly varied. What is frivolous for some might be compelling for others. By my judgement, if someone is doing junior year abroad or meeting some chick they met on myspace, they should be on their own.

Like Katrina, you think our Gubment has the resources and the ability to evacuate 25,000 people or rebuild a city on a moment's notice? It's not like we have ships waiting by every hotspot on the planet. If you're vacationing in Beirut this summer, you might be a dumbass. If your city gets destroyed and you didn't listen to the warnings to leave, you might be a bigger dumbass. Unlike you, I don't expect to grab the Gubment's teet the second after I break a nail. :oldrolleyes:

A common trait among righties is complete and total selfishness merged with a 20/20 hindsight.

If you're living and working in Beirut up to the start of this month, why would you expect an Israeli invasion? Anyone going there now is an idiot, but we have enough reach to offer rescue to our people who were trapped there, so why wouldn't we?

A common trait among righties is complete and total selfishness merged with a 20/20 hindsight.

If you're living and working in Beirut up to the start of this month, why would you expect an Israeli invasion? Anyone going there now is an idiot, but we have enough reach to offer rescue to our people who were trapped there, so why wouldn't we?

We are rescuing them. But because the Republicans didn't have a 25,000 seat taxi pulling up in front of every American's place of residence, the Democrats blame them. See Randull's title.

Oh, and I'll give everyone a little foresight....if you're thinking of vacationing in the Middle East in the next 25 years, you might be killed.

We are rescuing them. But because the Republicans didn't have a 25,000 seat taxi pulling up in front of every American's place of residence, the Democrats blame them. See Randull's title.

Oh, and I'll give everyone a little foresight....if you're thinking of vacationing in the Middle East in the next 25 years, you might be killed.

I'm not blaming any party, I'm just saying that in principle the US needs to evacuate it's nationals wherever and whenever it can. The constant impression I get from the righties on this board is f*ck everyone else, no tax dollars for anyone with a problem, blah blah blah.

It gets friggin' old.

I'm not blaming any party, I'm just saying that in principle the US needs to evacuate it's nationals wherever and whenever it can. The constant impression I get from the righties on this board is f*ck everyone else, no tax dollars for anyone with a problem, blah blah blah.

It gets friggin' old.

I'm no righty but I profess a belief in personal responsibility. The Middle East has not been a safe place to go for decades. When I was sent to Egypt (by the gummint) in 2003, I was not happy and I monitored the situation carefully prior to and for the entire week I was there.

:D if you think southern lebanon and egypt represent more or less the same level of threat to american visitors, i have to say you're not paying much attention.

Beirut is over 50 miles from the Israeli border.

Here you go - halfway up on the left, next to the blue bit (that's the sea, BTW)

Article on the bombing campaign in Egypt

Edited by Ursa Majoris

:D Explain your reaction please? Do you feel the government should be picking up the tab on this, and if so why? If you don't then what is the basis for your reaction?

Does it include people working for US companies in Beirut, those working for the American School, missionaries, aid workers, doctors, et al?

Does it include people working for US companies in Beirut, those working for the American School, missionaries, aid workers, doctors, et al?

Did the Gubment put them in handcuffs, blindfold them and drop them off in wacky Downtown Lebanon?

Did the Gubment put them in handcuffs, blindfold them and drop them off in wacky Downtown Lebanon?

Just because you get vertigo when you travel past the end of your driveway doesn't mean everyone has to consider a trip to the local McDonald's a major expedition.

Just because you get vertigo when you travel past the end of your driveway doesn't mean everyone has to consider a trip to the local McDonald's a major expedition.

You libs are funny. If I have a flat tire at the end of my driveway, George Bush better be there with a jack and a spare and change it like a NASCAR pit crew. :D

You libs are funny. If I have a flat tire at the end of my driveway, George Bush better be there with a jack and a spare and change it like a NASCAR pit crew. :D

Ever think all those doctors working abroad might be doing more good for the image of this country than all the raving idiots like Bolton, Cheney and their ilk could do in a lifetime?

Now, if we could just drop off all the Republican vermin in southern Lebanon, I'd be happy to leave them there. Or, better yet, charge some exorbitant fee to get them out, cash on the nail, get 'em up in the helicopters then boot 'em out over the Mediterranean.

well, either that or have them pay Halliburton $53,968.54 to come change it