[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Air conditioner advice

Ursa Majoris

So, the A/C for the Ursa cave is on it's last legs and although it's running OK now, I need to plan to get a replacement. I'm looking for advice / feedback on:

Best brands (Trane, Carrier, other?)

Compressor type (scroll, cylinder, other?)

Price

Power (tonnage) requirement (I have a 2000 sq ft rambler to cool, 1000 sq ft is underground basement)

Anything else - Minnesota based Huddlers might want to weigh in on a decent honest contractor/vendor if there is such a thing. Is it likely I could get a price break in mid to late fall rather than buying now?

I already know about the SEER system and the refrigerant differences Freon vs Puron, etc.

TIA! :D

I'd guess you're not going to get a price break at any time of the year. The only difference with time of year is that later in the fall, you'd get to pick the time of delivery/service. Now you'd be told when they're coming.

We have a Carrier. Works fine... that's all I need to know.

My HVAC contractor puts Heil in my houses........actually have a Trane in my own home, but can tell as far as maintainence the Heil a/c unit is easier to clean the coils.......the Trane you have to take panels off to get it good not to mention 12 + screws to loose in the process...... :D ....

Do you have central air now? Do you have existing duct work? I used to sell for a supply house when I was in college..I dont know all the ins and outs but I remember these units that required no ducts. You just had to install these blowers. Its made by Mitsubishi and I believe its called Mr Slims. its almost like a window unit but it gets power from an outside condenser and its really quiet.

I have a friend that still works there. I emailed him your questions ..ill see what he says

Mr slim

Edited by whomper

Why do you need an AC in Minnesota? Don't you guys only have one day of summer up there :D

19 days above 90 degrees in July, most of them at 99 and a heat index in the triple digits. :D

Which reminds me, how come CNN is full of reports of all these limp-wristed nancy boys on the east coast wilting in the heat after a day or two when we had a three week heatwave here with nary a mention from the talking heads?

Poofs.

Do you have central air now? Do you have existing duct work? I used to sell for a supply house when I was in college..I dont know all the ins and outs but I remember these units that required no ducts. You just had to install these blowers. Its made by Mitsubishi and I believe its called Mr Slims. its almost like a window unit but it gets power from an outside condenser and its really quiet.

I have a friend that still works there. I emailed him your questions ..ill see what he says

Mr slim

Got an A/C now and ductwork up the wazoo. I need to plan to get a replacement because the current Ruud, only seven years old, is a POS and about to go tits up.