[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Westy looks iffy....Buckhalter vs Moats

RussMan

There seems to be some disagreement about who would take over for Westbrook if has to shut it down for a few weeks to take care of his knee. I've seen some sites that say Buckhalter is the guy while others say it would be Moats.

I think that day will come soon enough and that if you have a roster spot you need to make your move now while Buck and Moats are still available.

Any Philly homers, experts, or prognosticators know which guy would be the one to pick up? Either guy in a starting role could put up decent numbers in that offense.

-----------------------

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/15690307.htm

Brian Westbrook didn't even participate in a walk-through at Eagles practice Thursday.

Westbrook was participating in the team's walk-through last week. Perhaps it's nothing, but Westbrook hasn't done anything since missing Monday night's game despite reports that he's improving.

Not a Philly fan (by any stretch) but it looked to me like they wanted Bucky to be the guy last week. He got first crack at the job when Westy was scratched and gave way to Moats only after fumbling the ball away.

So it is my estimation that Buck will get first crack at it and likley keep it if he remains healthy AND if he holds onto the ball.

in one of my leagues, took a flier on Moats over Buckhalter after watching the two fumbles. After doing a little more research, i regret my choice. Moats had two long runs last year that inflated his numbers. He is not consistant and i don't know if he has good hands or can block well (and keeping McNabb is priority #1). The only positive is that he is young and relatively healthy.

IMHO, Buck will get first crack, but Reid will not tolerate fumbles.

Since PHI like a RBBC approach, i can see a 2:1 in favor of Buck, unless he screws up, or the OFF runs better with Moats in there.

and since I am in the middle of Bye week hell, i may have to start him as my flex over Benson (but I will probably go with Welker)

Well I have Bush as my #3 flex guy.. and am taking flyers on guys and sitting them on my bench in hopes that they may polish up ..... all the obvious guys are gone.... so I recenlty added L Washington, Dayne, and now am looking at Buckhalter/Moats.

I am leaning Buckhalter... there must be a reason that Moats isnt the clear guy over an older and previously injured guy.

I am leaning Buckhalter... there must be a reason that Moats isnt the clear guy over an older and previously injured guy.

True. Why exactly is Moates so far down the depth chart? Is he in Reid's doghouse or does he just suck? He looked good last year and I thought he would improve on that.

Buck is the man, NO DOUBT!

If Reid wanted to go to Moats, he had every chance last week after Buck fumbled 2 times. But he broght Buck to the sidelines, spelled him with Moats and Buck was back in the game. It's clear Reid didn't lose confindence in Buck and it seemed like nerves more then a problem to me.

Philadelphia RB Correll Buckhalter won't allow himself to be surprised again, like he was Monday when he was notified just 30 minutes before kickoff that he was replacing the injured Brian Westbrook.

Huddle Up: It's beginning to look more and more like Buckhalter will get that call. Westbrook didn't practice again on Thursday, continuing to nurse a supposed "bone bruise" in his knee. Don't be surprised, though, if Westbrook guts it out in the big game against Dallas then is shut down the rest of the season for knee surgery.

Any 1 else hear anything about possible surgery for Westy? The Huddle is the only place i have seen this..

IMO their going to play westy this week and try to have the surgery line up with their bye (week 9) so not to lose him for too many games but get him back for a late run and the playoffs that seems to be the talk here in philly buck will definetly get first shot at the spot but is known for getting hurt and also got a history of fumbling so don't know if or for how long he'll keep it

Westbrook misses Friday's practice

RB Brian Westbrook (knee) sat out Friday's practice for the third straight day.

It now seems unlikely that Westbrook will play this week, despite being listed as questionable. He was a late scratch Monday night and hasn't seen the field since. "It's literally a day-to-day thing," coach Andy Reid said. "We'll see how it goes here." Have alternatives ready to go, because at best he'll be a game-time decision. The Eagles have a 4 PM start on Friday. Oct. 6 - 4:16 pm et

Source: PhiladelphiaEagles.com

True. Why exactly is Moates so far down the depth chart? Is he in Reid's doghouse or does he just suck? He looked good last year and I thought he would improve on that.

Buckhalter wasn't available as an option last year, so Moats was #2 by default.

Ex-Eagles doctor on Westbrook

Our buddy at the Philly Inquirer, Les Bowen, wrote about Brian Westbrook's knee issue today: "The Eagles don't let their team physicians talk to reporters, but former team physicians and unaffiliated sports orthopedists are not under their control. Dr. Art Bartolozzi, former team orthopedist for the Eagles and the Flyers, said yesterday that while he doesn't know the specifics of Westbrook's case, it sounds pretty familiar. When a knee suffers a bone bruise, Bartolozzi said, the covering articular cartilage, the smooth, glistening, sliding surface at the end of a bone, tends to flake or peel off and create inflammation. The first treatment is rest, which the Eagles now have tried. The second is draining fluid that develops because of the irritation, which the Eagles also have tried. The third would be a cortico-steroid injection, to mitigate the irritation and cut down on the fluid being produced. We don't know if the Eagles have tried that. If none of those options offers lasting relief, the next step is an arthroscopic cleanout."

Westbrook not looking good

Brian Westbrook missed all drills and walk-throughs this week. He hasn't done anything this week, making us wonder if he got his knee drained Monday. "Westbrook didn't even participate in the walk-through yesterday, which is something he was doing last week before it was decided he shouldn't play against the Packers," reports Les Bowen of the Inquirer. Time to drop Westbrook OFF the Week 5 list and push Correll Buckhalter up accordingly. Conventional wisdom suggests Westbrook needs surgical attention to get healthy. For added drama, the Dallas/Philly game is at 4:15 PM... hours after 90% of fantasy leagues log their lineups.

Posted on Oct 06, 2006 - 7:13 PM

IMO their going to play westy this week and try to have the surgery line up with their bye (week 9) so not to lose him for too many games but get him back for a late run and the playoffs that seems to be the talk here in philly buck will definetly get first shot at the spot but is known for getting hurt and also got a history of fumbling so don't know if or for how long he'll keep it

I thought that about McNabb lst year. Maybe.

Ex-Eagles doctor on Westbrook

Our buddy at the Philly Inquirer, Les Bowen, wrote about Brian Westbrook's knee issue today: "The Eagles don't let their team physicians talk to reporters, but former team physicians and unaffiliated sports orthopedists are not under their control. Dr. Art Bartolozzi, former team orthopedist for the Eagles and the Flyers, said yesterday that while he doesn't know the specifics of Westbrook's case, it sounds pretty familiar. When a knee suffers a bone bruise, Bartolozzi said, the covering articular cartilage, the smooth, glistening, sliding surface at the end of a bone, tends to flake or peel off and create inflammation. The first treatment is rest, which the Eagles now have tried. The second is draining fluid that develops because of the irritation, which the Eagles also have tried. The third would be a cortico-steroid injection, to mitigate the irritation and cut down on the fluid being produced. We don't know if the Eagles have tried that. If none of those options offers lasting relief, the next step is an arthroscopic cleanout."

Good stuff right there. Seems to me that they would have done the steriod injection as well.

I am tempted to sit Bush for Buckhalter this weekened but that 4pm start makes its too much a gamble.

Ive said it before on here..Im not talking about this week but when the dust settles at some point this year Moats is going to be a hot commodity and a valuable fantasy back..Hopefully for a stretch run..I dont wish injury on anyone but it looks like Westy isnt going to hold up again and Buck has a tough time making a full season as well..

I thought that about McNabb lst year. Maybe.

the one big difference between mcnabb last year and westy this is that they didn't know how long mcnabb's recovery would be and speculation was that it would be much longer than what they're saying about westy (2-6 weeks) personally i think the eagles would be smart to get the surgery after the cowboys game. this game is big for them for reasons other than TO they already lost one divisional game at home and can't really afford to lose another it would put them pretty far back on the tie breaker list and they also haven't won a divisional game since 2004

Ive said it before on here..Im not talking about this week but when the dust settles at some point this year Moats is going to be a hot commodity and a valuable fantasy back..Hopefully for a stretch run..I dont wish injury on anyone but it looks like Westy isnt going to hold up again and Buck has a tough time making a full season as well..

Agree with this.

hmmm... I belive soeone from the Huddle also said Moats may be the better longterm play and same from these guys...

From Rotoworld.

Having missed three straight days of practice, it looks like Westbrook won't be playing, and it could again be a hefty committee that replaces him. Eagles backup running back Correll Buckhalter's yard-per-carry average from Week 4 was certainly respectable, but the comeback-player-of-the-year candidate lost a fumble and contributed to another that was ultimately given to QB Donovan McNabb. Buckhalter would make for an excellent fill-in if he were guaranteed 20 carries, but Ryan Moats, Reno Mahe and even fullback Thomas Tapeh will factor into a working rotation. None of the reserves outside of Buckhalter deserve a roster spot right now, but Moats could become one that does if he shines on Sunday.

From Rotoworld:

FoxSports.com's John Czarnecki reports that Brian Westbrook will need microfracture surgery once the season is over.

Westbrook is a game-time decision Sunday and will reportedly "try to play." But the news that he's delaying such a devastating surgery is ominous for fantasy owners. He may not quite be the same next year and it shows he's dealing with serious issues this season.