[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Games to be played in foreign countries.

broncosn05

Just heard on ESPN. Was half listening but I think it said that an owners meeting in New Orleans has passed that two NFL games a year will be played in foreign countries, an idea backed by new commish Roger Goodell. Just thought I'd post, link to follow.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/nf...rticleID=177638

Edited by broncosn05

Just heard on ESPN. Was half listening but I think it said that an owners meeting in New Orleans has passed that two NFL games a year will be played in foreign countries, an idea backed by new commish Roger Goodell. Just thought I'd post, link to follow.

This is not good. this is American Football not the world flucking league. It will have to be done after a bye week to arrange for travel and all. depending on where they play as to when they have to leave to allow for jet lag and getting use to new time zone. which in turn messes up practice schedules and days off for players. It also screws homers out of 1 game to see their team at home, and you know they ain't sending the raiders-cards. it will be 2 decent teams. now if they are talking Canada and Mexico it won't be so bad for the travel and all but I'm thinking they are talking Europe and England. Keep regular season here let them play preseason in the foreign countries. They have their own football they should be happy with that. I don't see why the NFL thinks this is a good idea.

First reaction: this is stupid. Games like basketball and baseball have their places in international markets. They play it. They send their players here. They're good at it. Football? Uh. No. This is a dumb idea. Let them play PRESEASON games overseas. They would draw just as big of crowds as regular season games without all the travel-related BS wearing on the players and coaching staff. Dumb.

This is not good. this is American Football not the world flucking league. It will have to be done after a bye week to arrange for travel and all. depending on where they play as to when they have to leave to allow for jet lag and getting use to new time zone. which in turn messes up practice schedules and days off for players. It also screws homers out of 1 game to see their team at home, and you know they ain't sending the raiders-cards. it will be 2 decent teams. now if they are talking Canada and Mexico it won't be so bad for the travel and all but I'm thinking they are talking Europe and England. Keep regular season here let them play preseason in the foreign countries. They have their own football they should be happy with that. I don't see why the NFL thinks this is a good idea.

Psst, England is IN Europe... :D

I think you probably meant Europe and Asia? That's probably what's going to happen.

:D

im only ok with pre-season games but not regular.

but i want to add, that the NBA is better with the international wave, it brought the sexy-back to basketball, instead of this individualistic game we have seen since the glory days of the 80's and early 90's

and in baseball i think most baseball fans really enjoyed the world baseball classic.

when ever i watch a football game in an international market they just cheer for punts and field goals.

I don't like this idea at all. I think it takes away from the integrity of the game. In sports like baseball and basketball, you play so many games that I think games elsewhere work. Plus I think home field advantage is bigger in football than other sports. You only get 8 regular season home games as it is. With only 16 regular season games, each game is so much more important. I would really hate to see a big time matchup being played elsewhere. They probably would try to avoid that, but with the way things change so much in the NFL from year to year it would be hard to tell how important a game will be.

how do we know the games wouldn't be away games for both teams? who said it was taking away a home game?

also, I for one hate, the idea, but I do understand it. I do however, love the idea of expanding the NFL and the NFL market.

It could create a world league of football, with a super duper bowl after the super bowl, or the like.

Alot of positives could come out of it, but we all know, it's the cashola. It's the the same in all languages.

also, i think they should make it a priviledge to goto another country to play.

For instance, if it was for the 4 teams that made the conference championship games, then it would be a good thing to goto Italy, or whatever.

Or maybe the teams that had the biggest winning streak the prior year, that way you're not sending the 4 best teams oversees, not to mention the 2 that played in the superbowl the year before.

If it was a reward to doing something the year before, it would rid the teams of the resentment for having to go, at least a little.

I wonder if it's mathematically possible. :D

are you being sarcastic, or serious? I'm really not sure if I'm merely over looking something here.

If the panthers play dallas this sunday, CAR is home and DAL is away. why couldn't they play in vegas, and both be away, and instead of the next away game for CAR, they play at home, and the opponent is away? And the same for DAL?

Sorry if I'm overlooking something, or being a moran. It makes sense in my head, but alot of other stuff do too. :D

are you being sarcastic, or serious? I'm really not sure if I'm merely over looking something here.

If the panthers play dallas this sunday, CAR is home and DAL is away. why couldn't they play in vegas, and both be away, and instead of the next away game for CAR, they play at home, and the opponent is away? And the same for DAL?

Sorry if I'm overlooking something, or being a moran. It makes sense in my head, but alot of other stuff do too. :D

I dunno but I'm pretty sure that having two teams playing each other, both officially away, demands that two other teams must match up, both officially at home. :D

Remember the Cards game in Mexico City? The Cards were officially at home because of this problem.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

I dunno but I'm pretty sure that having two teams playing each other, both officially away, demands that two other teams must match up, both officially at home. :bash:

Remember the Cards game in Mexico City? The Cards were officially at home because of this problem.

Is there a standard home/away number every week? I just thought it was 8 and 8 for all the teams, and it didn't matter the weekly, as long as it matched at the end of the season? :D you might be right there, but if they're willing to send 4 teams over sees a year now, they might be willing to change that rule.

I see it working out much better as an away game for both teams, and tweaking the sched to give them their home games.

And the arizona "home" game was pretty close to a home game. Everyone there was rooting for them, AND it was a nicer stadium at the time :D

Is there a standard home/away number every week? I just thought it was 8 and 8 for all the teams, and it didn't matter the weekly, as long as it matched at the end of the season? :D you might be right there, but if they're willing to send 4 teams over sees a year now, they might be willing to change that rule.

I see it working out much better as an away game for both teams, and tweaking the sched to give them their home games.

And the arizona "home" game was pretty close to a home game. Everyone there was rooting for them, AND it was a nicer stadium at the time :bash:

In any season, there is always the same number of home games to away games, obviously. Thus, if two teams play each other, both away, then there must be another game, both at home, or it's not going to work.

Unless the Jets play the Giants in that home/home game. :D

And if they play a game in Amsterdam half of both teams will be suspended for 4 games shortly thereafter. :D

:bash:

That would also be a lot of travel time to get the teams to Amsterdam and back. Lot of time zones, would they play during the evening there so we can watch it in the afternoon? :D

:D

That would also be a lot of travel time to get the teams to Amsterdam and back. Lot of time zones, would they play during the evening there so we can watch it in the afternoon? :D

holy crap. I never even thought of this. What about china. would we watch it at 3am, or whatever time, or would it be delayed? I completely forgot about that whole "time" dimension.

In any season, there is always the same number of home games to away games, obviously. Thus, if two teams play each other, both away, then there must be another game, both at home, or it's not going to work.

Unless the Jets play the Giants in that home/home game. :D

now that i think about it, i see your point. i was just thinking that 2 teams could have their away games at the same time, and against each other. But for every team that has an away game, there's 1 that has a home game. Now it all makes sense. :D i really thought I was onto something there.

Well, then it makes it even more important for the NFL to make a reward out of it. That way the team that is "home" doesn't feel so bad about being anywhere but "home". Something like money wouldn't cut it either, it would have to be about pride.

If the NFL was to come out and say "the 2 teams that score 200 pts FIRST this year, get to play in china next year" or even better "the first 2 teams that get 10 wins this season..." get my drift?

If the NFL was to come out and say "the 2 teams that score 200 pts FIRST this year, get to play in china next year" or even better "the first 2 teams that get 10 wins this season..." get my drift?

I would imagine most coaches would be so keen on traveling all the way to China in the middle of the season that they'd probably opt for field goals from the one yard line on first down rather than be the first to 200 points. Seriously, I don't see any NFL coach being happy with this, especially the guy who loses the home game that year.

Add me to the "this is a really stupid idea" crowd. This is not the friggin WFL or "NFL Europe." You want to see a game, come to the U.S. PS it's only a matter of time before we have entire teams from outside the US too (like the "Mexico City Cardinals"). :hurl:

But you guys forget that the NFL and the newest POS commish care about one thing and that's making money. They don't give the slighest flip about fans missing an extra game or whether the fans like it or whatever...unless of course it means they'd sell less tickets to other games ie get a net loss, which won't happen. Unfortunately.