[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Has anyone made the switch

Savage Beatings

• 1 year later...

Incandescent bulbs will now be illegal beginning in 2012.

In the meantime I've been reading up on the alternatives. CFL's seem to be the only thing people are considering (besides sunlight and candles) but the CFL's contain mercury and also emit more UV rays which could be dangerous for people who have a history with skin cancer (which my wife does).

I've seen recently that LED light bulbs are coming to market. They are obviously A LOT more expensive than the incandescents and the CFL's, but they last about 6 times longer than the CFL's without the health and envirnomental risks (last 40 times longer than an incandescent bulb). Has anyone here had any expereience with LED bulbs maybe where you work, etc.? I'd like to know more about them... if they are worth the investment for home use.

I've got them in all the fixtures that accept them.

They take a second to turn on when they are cold - weird delay when you are used to incandescents.

Be careful if you break one - they contain mercury or some other harmful substance. Clean them up with a face mask on.

save about 10 bucks a month but they never go out. I have been running this set for 2 years and they appear to be in mint condition.

I assume you're talking about CFL's not LED's right?

the light they emit sucks

I've seen some that give off very soft yellow light, just like an incandescent bulb. It just depends upon which bulb you buy.

I think there is a warning on the packaging not to use them with dimmer switches.

I like them quite a bit. Definately save money. I think I've seen slightly more expensive bulbs that create a better qualtiy of light.

That's the other thing about the LED bulbs, is that you can dim them just like the incandescents. The only thing that I can find that is bad about the LED's so far is that they are expensive, due to the fact that LED's are directional by nature so it takes a lot of work to get the light to disperse.

That's the other thing about the LED bulbs, is that you can dim them just like the incandescents. The only thing that I can find that is bad about the LED's so far is that they are expensive, due to the fact that LED's are directional by nature so it takes a lot of work to get the light to disperse.

bad for my mood lighting!

That could be a good thing on these long, cold winter nights. :wacko:

wait, this may be a good thing!

I believe you'll be able to use LEDs outside as well, which you can't with CFLs. I expect LEDs lights are just too expensive as of yet. The sticker shock just won't fly in the big box stores. Or at least I haven't noticed them in there yet.

I believe you'll be able to use LEDs outside as well, which you can't with CFLs. I expect LEDs lights are just too expensive as of yet. The sticker shock just won't fly in the big box stores. Or at least I haven't noticed them in there yet.

Wal-Mart sells them by the bushel

LED's are cheaper in the long run, and safer as you don't have to worry about mercury. This page has a brief discussion about incandescent, CFL and LED. Click on the Lightbulb Comparison Spreadsheet for some pretty amazing information.

Edit to add: The link is almost a year old. LED's have come a long way in that time. Now they are not nearly as directional as they used to be. Also, I've read that the newer LED's last 10 times longer than a CFL as opposed to the 6 times noted in the link above.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Since I work for an ELECTRIC Co. those things are the devil!! My stock goes down and will make me work 3 more years till retirement.. They put out very dangerous EMFs.. and you will go blind in around 5 years.. other than that they do save electricty, not $50 a month but probably around 10-15 depending on how much you keep the lights on.

E... Ecstasy

M... Muthafugga Muthagugga

F... From us to you

Yeah... I know the EMF B-sides for some reason.