[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just when you thought Benson...

Randall

/sports/football/bears/cs-061130bearsbrite,1,6618259.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Benson goes on the air; static could follow

Implies team politics keep him 2nd string

By David Haugh

Tribune staff reporter

November 30, 2006, 11:34 PM CST

There goes Cedric Benson again. If only for the Bears it were in the open field rather than into an open microphone.

Appearing Thursday afternoon on WMVP-AM 1000's "Mac, Jurko and Harry" show, the running back dodged a question about whether he trusted the Bears' coaching staff. But some of Benson's other comments may bring him the same kind of flak he received for statements earlier this season.

Asked about the perception that blocking problems keep him off the field in favor of Thomas Jones, for example, Benson said that was a label unfairly tagged on him.

"It's a lot easier than they make it sound," Benson said, not making clear whether "they" referred to the Bears or the media. "I think they just needed something to 'down-talk' me on so they used that. … Hey, man, I'm watching the game just like you are."

Benson, who has 97 yards on 20 carries in his last two games in a backup role, added he had no interest in returning kicks or playing on special teams and did not hedge when addressing his relationship with Jones.

"It has kind of been the same … we're not friends," Benson said. "Me coming in was something heavy for him to deal with in his career. I'm supportive of him [and] all for him doing good."

Still, Benson implied locker-room politics had something to do with the popular veteran playing ahead of him all season.

"I think there are things going on," Benson said. "I really learned that when you get to the NFL, it's not like high school or college, but the best players don't always get on the field."

Extra points

The Vikings downgraded Minnesota defensive tackle Pat Williams, one of the NFL's premier run stoppers, to doubtful because of a sore knee and he was one of 10 Vikings held out of practice Thursday. …

Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris was held out of Thursday's practice with a sore knee. He was listed as probable and is expected to play Sunday.

/sports/football/bears/cs-061130bearsbrite,1,6618259.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

By David Haugh

Tribune staff reporter

There goes Cedric Benson again. If only for the Bears it were in the open field rather than into an open microphone.

Appearing Thursday afternoon on WMVP-AM 1000's "Mac, Jurko and Harry" show, the running back dodged a question about whether he trusted the Bears' coaching staff. But some of Benson's other comments may bring him the same kind of flak he received for statements earlier this season.

Asked about the perception that blocking problems keep him off the field in favor of Thomas Jones, for example, Benson said that was a label unfairly tagged on him.

"It's a lot easier than they make it sound," Benson said, not making clear whether "they" referred to the Bears or the media. "I think they just needed something to 'down-talk' me on so they used that. … Hey, man, I'm watching the game just like you are."

Benson, who has 97 yards on 20 carries in his last two games in a backup role, added he had no interest in returning kicks or playing on special teams and did not hedge when addressing his relationship with Jones.

"It has kind of been the same … we're not friends," Benson said. "Me coming in was something heavy for him to deal with in his career. I'm supportive of him [and] all for him doing good."

Still, Benson implied locker-room politics had something to do with the popular veteran playing ahead of him all season.

"I think there are things going on," Benson said. "I really learned that when you get to the NFL, it's not like high school or college, but the best players don't always get on the field."

Extra points

The Vikings downgraded Minnesota defensive tackle Pat Williams, one of the NFL's premier run stoppers, to doubtful because of a sore knee and he was one of 10 Vikings held out of practice Thursday. …

Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris was held out of Thursday's practice with a sore knee. He was listed as probable and is expected to play Sunday.

The only thing I like about this is the fact that Williams might not play. I know when he was with Buffalo, we were in the top 5 in rushing D. When he left, we were at the bottom 5, and still are. Now he is in MIN, and look where they are with the run.

If you ask me, Jones is a for sure starter if Williams sits out.

Oh Im a TJ owner.

"I really learned that when you get to the NFL, it's not like high school or college, but the best players don't always get on the field."

What a white waterbag Benson is. :D

Edit: What happened to splashbag? Now white waterbag comes out as "white waterbag?" :D

Edited by DMD

Wasn't that long ago that Larry Johnson was percieved as the same type of whiney ass. Since I have Benson in 2 keeper leagues, I hope he blows up the same way Johnson has.

But, that kind of good luck just doesn't happen to me.

I do agree, that one of those guys will need to be dealt in the off season.

I'm not sure what is all that bad about a player feeling he is the best at his position and wanting to play or even help his team. Thomas Jones has made no bones about his feelings but yet he is looked at as a "swell guy".

I don't suppose any of you have felt you were better than a co-worker who is doing the job you should be doing...and mentioned it to someone else!

Wasn't that long ago that Larry Johnson was percieved as the same type of whiney ass. Since I have Benson in 2 keeper leagues, I hope he blows up the same way Johnson has.

But, that kind of good luck just doesn't happen to me.

I do agree, that one of those guys will need to be dealt in the off season.

He had problems with the coaches, I don't remember LJ alienating his teammates in the same way.

Benson has really brought all of this on himself.

As good of luck the Bears have with the LB position, they have the reverse happen to them with drafted RB's.

This guy is such a prima donna....and I thought they built tough kids in Texas? What a baby ass.

Here is the article and the "between the lines" stuff...

By David Haugh

Tribune staff reporter

There goes Cedric Benson again. If only for the Bears it were in the open field rather than into an open microphone. since we repeatedly baited him into saying something we could slam him for

Appearing Thursday afternoon on WMVP-AM 1000's "Mac, Jurko and Harry" show, the running back dodged a question about whether he trusted the Bears' coaching staff. Hey, we tried to get him to say something bad. Not like we ask anyone else about coaching like this But some of Benson's other comments may bring him the same kind of flak he received for statements earlier this season. thank goodness we finally got him to say something we could point at

Asked about the perception that blocking problems keep him off the field in favor of Thomas Jones, for example, Benson said that was a label unfairly tagged on him. we love beating this horse

"It's a lot easier than they make it sound," Benson said, not making clear whether "they" referred to the Bears or the media. "I think they just needed something to 'down-talk' me on so they used that. … Hey, man, I'm watching the game just like you are." not quite slammable and apparently Benson has noticed how we like to bait him

Benson, who has 97 yards on 20 carries in his last two games in a backup role, added he had no interest in returning kicks or playing on special teams and did not hedge when addressing his relationship with Jones. Instead of saying how well Benson is running, we want to point out that he is not a team player because he will not return kicks the same as Jones would say if we asked him.

"It has kind of been the same … we're not friends," Benson said. "Me coming in was something heavy for him to deal with in his career. I'm supportive of him [and] all for him doing good." Dang, he did not say anything we can rip him for. He even said he was spportive. Must find something else.

Still, Benson implied locker-room politics had something to do with the popular veteran playing ahead of him all season. Nice set-up, deciding what Benson implied because we could not get him to say anything out right bad. No wonder Jones is the "popular" one, does he get asked these sort of questions over and over?

This is controversial? Did anyone expect Benson to say "Jones is clearly superior to me, even though I have gained more per run than he has lately, and the coaching staff is right because I am not as good a runner as is Jones. I treasure my time on the sideline to watch him. I am so happy to have been one of the top runners in NCAA history and get to play my eight carries, at most, per game for the first time in my life as a non-starter. When the coaching staff tells him he is going to be used, they don't. And other times he coaching staff tells the media they are going to use him more and forget to mention it to him?

Benson is screwed because no one wants him to succeed in CHI. much less the media. After almost two years of rotting on the bench he has never once been able to be the starter for even one game, despite running better than Jones in many cases.

It looks like the Bears spent $25 million to provide the local media with a hobby.