[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tanking issue

Caveman_Nick

I'm 3-9 in one of my leagues and last week the owner of the team I was playing asked me to turn in a similar lineup to help him make the playoffs. I have no problem with him making the playoffs, but I'll be damned if he does it because I gave him an easy win. NO Way. When owners quit trying to win all of their games, it is time for them to move on. I commission 2 leagues and this owner would not be invited back next year.

No cheating is pretty much universally accepted in every league. There is no need to painstakingly spell out in your rules every possible form that cheating might take.

Oh sure, here's what I'm going to do! Haven't done it all year or in past years...but I think THIS particular coach could play a better lineup so I'll just put one in for him so he'll knock off another coach while helping one that is complaining get the bye. Sound Great Guys? Nice playing with you!

What would happen if you put in Walker or Driver for Wilford, because as commish we're genius, and Wilford has a better day that could have won it for the guy? Now that would be a wonderful move by any commish which will surely go over well! The only thing I've seen, which is not so painstaking, is to allow the commish to put in players for those that were "out" or on a bye.

Again, I think lighting the guy up on the message board is about the best you can do unless you've made provisions in the rules for the commish stepping in.

Oh sure, here's what I'm going to do! Haven't done it all year or in past years...but I think THIS particular coach could play a better lineup so I'll just put one in for him so he'll knock off another coach while helping one that is complaining get the bye. Sound Great Guys? Nice playing with you!

What would happen if you put in Walker or Driver for Wilford, because as commish we're genius, and Wilford has a better day that could have won it for the guy? Now that would be a wonderful move by any commish which will surely go over well! The only thing I've seen, which is not so painstaking, is to allow the commish to put in players for those that were "out" or on a bye.

Again, I think lighting the guy up on the message board is about the best you can do unless you've made provisions in the rules for the commish stepping in.

Dude, he's starting a QB who won't even be in the game, and there are clear playoff implications on the outcome of this matchup. If you don't think this is an obvious attempt to tank, then you're being just a tad myopic here.

Plus, I never suggested that the Commish just unilaterally change the lineup to whatever he wants... I've said that the Commish needs to stop ducking the issue and handle it somehow, starting with calling out the owner and getting some kind of explanation.

Edited by Savage Beatings

In this case based on the fact that he is starting a qb that isnt even going to play it is obvious he isnt staring Wilford because he has a gut feeling that he is going to out perform Driver or Walker .

You know what amazes me and I hope im not in the minority here..How can anyone feel good about and accept a win and a possible title down the line based on a tanked line up victory or some of the other shenanigans we see posted on these boards ? I would never feel good or right about winning a title if I had someone tank against me along the way or if I cheated somehow.. I know its about money for some people and dont get me wrong winning some cash is great but I would never disrespect my league members and show zero pride in myself by working out a cheating arraingement with someone for a win..Caveman Nick is 100 % right to be livid here and his commish has no balls IMO..

Dude, he's starting a QB who won't even be in the game, and there are clear playoff implications on the outcome of this matchup. If you don't think this is an obvious attempt to tank, then you're being just a tad myopic here.

Plus, I never suggested that the Commish just unilaterally change the lineup to whatever he wants... I've said that the Commish needs to stop ducking the issue and handle it somehow, starting with calling out the owner and getting some kind of explanation.

I agree with both of your points. It is obvious he is not putting the best lineup out there (tank). I don't know if I'd call it "cheating" but more like not playing by the spirit of competition...or something like that. Either way it's not a coach I would want in my league and I'd make that clear now and certainly before next season. There is no place for it.

The commish has no real power to change anything if it's not in the rules that he CAN. That was my suggestion and leagues can give the commish power to keep it fair by giving him/her the authority. Even with the authority, making a change like this, would create an unpleasant stir to say the least...if I tried to pull it off in my leagues. Anytime a commish has to step in with some kind of "power" move, someone gets their feathers ruffled and I'm sure you've seen it happen. Then again, it's the job we accept.

This is my opinion as well.

You be surprised how many people don't feel that way... even in some prominent leagues of veteran players.

I've seen some arguments for implementing it as a strategy for those teams that are still in the playoff run and are trying to manipulate the seeding for a presumably better matchup for themselves in the playoffs. When that is the case, at the very least it might not be considered cheating. In that case the owner would be doing it for the benefit of his own team. I still don't like it, but it would have to be dealt with differently than tanking by someone who is totally out of the playoffs. Either way, its not very cool IMO. And I know cool.

I've seen some arguments for implementing it as a strategy for those teams that are still in the playoff run and are trying to manipulate the seeding for a presumably better matchup for themselves in the playoffs. When that is the case, at the very least it might not be considered cheating. In that case the owner would be doing it for the benefit of his own team. I still don't like it, but it would have to be dealt with differently than tanking by someone who is totally out of the playoffs. Either way, its not very cool IMO. And I know cool.

I have tanked to manipulate my playoff seeding before, but that is a totally different issue.

In this case, the commish doesn't have the right to change a lineup unless the rules state that he does. Plain and simple. If the lineup deadline has passed, it seems to me that there is nothing that can be done except some whining and crying. If the rules don't cover it, the commish can't do squat.