[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tanking issue

Caveman_Nick

In one of my locals (10 team, keep 2 players) I am going to make the playoffs. The top 3 teams in each division make it, and the top team gets a bye. I am currently in second place and am playing the team that's in third place this week. The only result of consequence is that if I win the game and the person in first place loses their game, I will get a bye. It can be a big deal to get a bye if you ask me.

Well, the team playing the first place team is eliminated, and has the following roster:

Cutler, Jay DEN QB

Grossman, Rex CHI QB

Kitna, Jon DET QB

Plummer, Jake DEN QB

Foster, De'shaun CAR RB (Q)

Henry, Travis TEN RB

Johnson, Rudi CIN RB

Jones, Thomas CHI RB (P)

McGahee, Willis BUF RB

Driver, Donald GBP WR

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR

Walker, Javon DEN WR (P)

Wilford, Ernest JAC WR

Clark, Desmond CHI TE

Rackers, Neil ARI PK

Rayner, Dave GBP PK

Colts, Indianapolis IND Def

Cowboys, Dallas DAL Def

And for this week's game he submitted the following line-up

Plummer

Foster

McGahee

Fitzgerald

Wilford

Clark

Rayner

Colts

I emailed the commish and asked that a valid line-up be inserted, which I was told can not be done because the line-up deadline has passed and that it's not my place to say if the players he picked were a competitive line-up.

I am ticked off at this. Plummer's benched, Foster is questionable and could possibly be the 5th best option on the team, and Wilford is being started over Driver and Walker? Obvious tank, and now I am making waves about it.

And I sound like a :D making an issue out of it, but frankly I don't care. As has been said many times, apathy can destroy any league. First prize in this league is somewhere between $800 and $900. If one of the teams that has to play next week because of a tanking owner gets stiffed (ie. would have won the league with the bye, or in an easier playoff schedule), the integrity of the league is comprimised. And now I am in a position like I feel I have to leave my favorite league (which this has been for a long time...and we haven't had an issue like this before)

I emailed the commish and asked that a valid line-up be inserted, which I was told can not be done because the line-up deadline has passed and that it's not my place to say if the players he picked were a competitive line-up.

actually, for the integrity of the league, it's your place and every other owners to be able to comment on another owners lineup. if a player is injured or benched and there are other options, it should be commented on. if he chooses between 2 receivers because he has a hunch, then so be it, but injured players or benched players should not be active.

is the commish the team he's playing this week nick?

What's in your rules? Plain and simple. That is NOT a valid lineup. If you don't have a rule for dealing with lineups that are not valid, then you're sh*t out of luck.

And you're a big :D regardless, this won't make us think less of you. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

actually, for the integrity of the league, it's your place and every other owners to be able to comment on another owners lineup. if a player is injured or benched and there are other options, it should be commented on. if he chooses between 2 receivers because he has a hunch, then so be it, but injured players or benched players should not be active.

is the commish the team he's playing this week nick?

No...the commish is in the other division. It could be looked at that it is in Commish's best interest that I get bumped, as my team is the highest scoring team in the league for the season, but I think that's a stretch. I think the commish doesn't want to deal with the havoc that could ensue if he changed someone's line-up.

No...the commish is in the other division. It could be looked at that it is in Commish's best interest that I get bumped, as my team is the highest scoring team in the league for the season, but I think that's a stretch. I think the commish doesn't want to deal with the havoc that could ensue if he changed someone's line-up.

i would say that cutler should at least be inserted for plummer, and that should not get any argument from anyone in the league. after that, i guess the other decisions could be considered a matter of that owner's opinion. overall, i'd say your taking one up the crapper if the commish isn't even willing to talk to the owner submitting that lineup.

What's in your rules? Plain and simple. That is NOT a valid lineup. If you don't have a rule for dealing with lineups that are not valid, then you're sh*t out of luck.

And you're a big :D regardless, this won't make us think less of you. :D

There are no rules for it, but IMO that's why leagues have commishes. There shouldn't have to be a rule that league members do their best to win games. If you're not going to bother to participate, why pay the entry fee.

And FWIW, I wouldn't complain about the other choices in the line-up if it weren't completely obvious that this is a tank job. The owner set the line-up this week (as in he didn't leave it over from last week), it just looks like he set it to score as few points as possible.

There are no rules for it, but IMO that's why leagues have commishes. There shouldn't have to be a rule that league members do their best to win games. If you're not going to bother to participate, why pay the entry fee.

And FWIW, I wouldn't complain about the other choices in the line-up if it weren't completely obvious that this is a tank job. The owner set the line-up this week (as in he didn't leave it over from last week), it just looks like he set it to score as few points as possible.

A commishes job is not to make new rules in the middle of the season. According to your current rules, it's perfectly legal to insert any lineup, legal or not. No?

Someone needs to publicly call out teh owner that submitted the lineup and ask him to either explain/justify his actions or submit his resignation as an owner in your league. Either way I think the Commish needs to grow a pair and take up this challenge for the good of the league. This is his job as Commish to resolve this issue, and if he is unwilling to do his job, then someone else should become the Commissioner.

Keep making a stink about this until someone does the right thing!

A commishes job is not to make new rules in the middle of the season. According to your current rules, it's perfectly legal to insert any lineup, legal or not. No?

I hear what you are saying and you are right about that, but there is also a rule against collusion. The collusion rule trumps all other rules, and putting players in your line-up who will not play giving another team a win it needs is collusion.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I hear what you are saying and you are right about that, but there is also a rule against collusion. The collusion rule trumps all other rules, and putting players in your line-up who will not play giving another team a in it needs is collusion.

the problem there is that collusion and tanking are 2 different things.

i still think the commish needs to at least address the complaint properly because it's his job to ensure the league runs properly. that should include resolving problems.

But it is his job to deal with conflicts and legitimate grievances. He seems to be trying to just duck/dodge the issue altogether instead of making waves. That's lame. He needs to call out the owner to publicly justify his actions here IMO.

He's got a full time position changing Al Davis' Depends.

Troller is a tanking expert and should be sought after for his insight and knowledge during this discussion. This whole thread may not even be relevant without his input.

Yes collusion is not fair to those who are in the playoff hunt. If I were the Commish in this league I would confront the owner about the lineup and see if it was a honest mistake and give him a chance to correct the lineup on his own. I may have the same sort of problem myself in a league I run here's my thread.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...5entry1824105

the problem there is that collusion and tanking are 2 different things.

i still think the commish needs to at least address the complaint properly because it's his job to ensure the league runs properly. that should include resolving problems.

If tanking is used to give one player an advantage over another, it is collusion.

This is a tank, regardless. The situation, considering the guy set the line-up with some of the worst choices and a QB not playing, even though he has set a valid line-up every other week, makes it look bad.

Troller is a tanking expert and should be sought after for his insight and knowledge during this discussion. This whole thread may not even be relevant without his input.

While I have no question that Controller is this site's foremost expert on tanking, it doesn't change the fact that he is occupied by a most important position ensuring that Al Davis stays clean, dry, and free of diaper rash.

Let's get our priorities straight, shall we?

I'm all for using the league message board to voice my opinion in situations like this. If you like the league, do it tastefully but make your point regarding lineups. You commish is right to do nothing right now as there is no rule in place for such a thing.

Not sure of your scoring rules, but if interceptions are -1 and the scoring is minimal, Plummer might be a better start than the other 3.

You commish is right to do nothing right now as there is no rule in place for such a thing.

No cheating is pretty much universally accepted in every league. There is no need to painstakingly spell out in your rules every possible form that cheating might take.