[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The fatness of America...

dabuffbills

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gained weight after I got a job where everybody went out to lunch everyday. I stopped packing my lunch just so I didn't have to sit and eat by myself. These restaurants have been around my whole life, but I'm fat now because I chose to eat there regularly.

the best exercise you can do is right at meal time--sit in your chair and place your hands on the edge of the table--now push. Push yourself away from the f'n table.

Of course, I may not be all that welcome in this thread. While I'm 44 and my metabolism has slowed a bit, I still don't gain weight all that easy. It also helps that I'm not a big sweet eater so desserts rarely tempt me. When I get above 150lbs, I cut out all sweets and late snacks and I drop right back to where I'm comfortable.

On that note - finally found time to crack a Cormac McCarthy book - started with The Road and have No Coutry for Old Men on deck. :D so far.

You are going in reverse order, from most recent back. For McCarthy that is a good idea. When you get to the stuff he was writing about the West, Tennessee and Appalachia (Child of God is a crazy crazy dark book) about 20 or so years ago, you will feel like you are reading a completely different writer.

The Road and No Country for Old Men are good books by a great writer, by they are not his typical style.

If you like No Country for Old Men and that tough guy noir kind of story and writing, you have to read James Crumley's CW Sughrue detective novels--badasz. Crumley is a Vietnam vet who wrote an amazing novel about that war and then started writing some of the best and most unique detective fiction around. Dancing Bear and The Last Good Kiss were two of the best in the series. Like any series, start at the beginning.

If you just want some fun reading, I always enjoy a Dave Robicheaux "mystery" by James Lee Burke. Nothing fancy and even though sometimes formulaic, pretty well written and colorful.

Edited by skins

Not only are Americans big fat aszes, they are pretty stupid too. Giant lumbering overweight blubber covered water buffaloes with brains the size of peas.

You try talking to most people about the last book they read? My god, it is pathetic.

Skinsy m'boy, you're dead-on, as are a lot of people in this thread. Fast food isn't healthy because the market won't tolerate it. People prefer taste over health, eat too much, and move too little.

BTW, I just read Snow Falling on Cedars by whatshisname Gusterson or something like that. Kind of murder mystery set in the Pacific NW, examining the Japanese/White relationship post WWII. The author painted vivid beautiful pictures of the area with his words, and really made you think about what Americans of Japanese descent went through. All in all, recommended.

BTW, I've gone from 290 in Feb (I'm 6'3") to under 230 and still losing. The goal is 200. The jump-start was getting a neural stimulator implanted in my back and quitting oxycontin cold-turkey. So sorry skins, I got no more to share with you sweetie.

You are going in reverse order, from most recent back. For McCarthy that is a good idea. When you get to the stuff he was writing about the West, Tennessee and Appalachia (Child of God is a crazy crazy dark book) about 20 or so years ago, you will feel like you are reading a completely different writer.

The Road and No Country for Old Men are good books by a great writer, by they are not his typical style.

If you like No Country for Old Men and that tough guy noir kind of story and writing, you have to read James Crumley's CW Sughrue detective novels--badasz. Crumley is a Vietnam vet who wrote an amazing novel about that war and then started writing some of the best and most unique detective fiction around. Dancing Bear and The Last Good Kiss were two of the best in the series. Like any series, start at the beginning.

If you just want some fun reading, I always enjoy a Dave Robicheaux "mystery" by James Lee Burke. Nothing fancy and even though sometimes formulaic, pretty well written and colorful.

Cool - I'll cue these up on Amazon. Thanks.

I enjoyed The Road so much, I ordered the Border trilogy, Suttree and Blood Meridian today.

Is Child of God about the necrophiliac? Sounds like some good Christmas break reading. :D

Cool - I'll cue these up on Amazon. Thanks.

I enjoyed The Road so much, I ordered the Border trilogy, Suttree and Blood Meridian today.

Is Child of God about the necrophiliac? Sounds like some good Christmas break reading. :D

Oh man, you have some serious reading ahead of you. Suttree is like a homeless Spain in Tennessee. Blood Meridien is an amazing account of the old West--think a literary Deadwood only far more gory and realistic.

The Border Trilogy is his most commercially successful work, but I am more partial to Blood Meridien and others.

Child of God is about the necrophiliac. Pretty grim and disturbing stuff.

Oh man, you have some serious reading ahead of you. Suttree is like a homeless Spain in Tennessee. Blood Meridien is an amazing account of the old West--think a literary Deadwood only far more gory and realistic.

The Border Trilogy is his most commercially successful work, but I am more partial to Blood Meridien and others.

Child of God is about the necrophiliac. Pretty grim and disturbing stuff.

Nothing says "Thread killer" like a good ole necrophiliac novel.

And I'm just thankful I have food to eat and am not one of the millions of poor bastages in the world who NEVER get enough to eat. God Bless McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell (well, maybe not them), Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pizza Hut, Subway, White Castle, In-And-Out, all-you-can-eat truck stop buffets, The Back Forty All The Prime Rib You Can Eat Family Restuarant, Shoneys, Dunkin' Donut, Outback, Hardees, Dairy Queen, Ed's Package Liquor and Carry Out Burger Joint, Master Wangs, and all the other fine, fine businesses who are only giving us what we want! It's America, dammit. Eat up!

:D

:D