[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is your league divisional setup

kwolf68

I am retooling my league after the most horrendous team in league history made the playoffs. I don't want to abolish head-to-head play, so I thought about our divisional setup.

Currently, our 12-team league has three 4-team divisions. We went with that, because everyone plays their own division twice and the other teams 1 time.

I wanted to go to two 6-team divisions, but that doesn't seem to work to where everyone plays each other. Our regular season ends on week 14 and we do playoffs in 15 and 16 and leave week 17 vacant. I would not be opposed to bringing back week 17 if needed, but all things equal I don't want it.

How do you guys do this? What is your system , pros, cons? Thanks for feedback folks.

That looks bizarre to me...Team 8 in division two plays team 1 (In Division 1) two times, but only plays Team 10 (in his own division) one time. Not sure...I see the point of it...basically its ONE and DONE against your own division.

And on the final week you are playing someone in the other division while your main competition may be playing some clod in another division. I really like playing your own division.

Edited by kwolf68

That looks bizarre to me...Team 8 in division two plays team 1 (In Division 1) two times, but only plays Team 10 (in his own division) one time. Not sure...I see the point of it...basically its ONE and DONE against your own division.

And on the final week you are playing someone in the other division while your main competition may be playing some clod in another division. I really like playing your own division.

Ask for advice.

Get advice.

Reject advice.

I did say might. :D

Try emailing them and ask for one to be built for you

Well I can devise a schedule with no problems, its just there is no way mathematically to do 2 divisions of 6 teams each and play everyone in the league while still playing your own division twice.

The dynamics of the 3 division 4 team setup is easily the best setup...I played the 3 teams in my division on the first three games of the season and the last 3 games of the season. In between I played the other 8 teams not within my own division one time each.

That takes us through week 14, in time for our two week playoff. To goto 6 and 2 means someone may not play each other. I am personally fine with that, but I have a couple folks that don't like that idea. My main goal is preventing Sega! teams from winning my league...if a team comprised of a starting lineup of Josh Reed, Sammie Parker, Caddy Williams, Bret Favre, and Bubba Franks wins my league we may as well just shut it down.

I play in 2 leagues with 2 divisions of 6 teams.

Only 4 teams make the playoffs.

The top 2 teams in each division play each other in week 15 to determine which team from each division will play for the league championship.

No byes.

We play each team in our division twice and a random 4 from the other division.

Edited by Grits and Shins

I even thought about the very crazy idea of doing it the way baseball used to do it.

2 divisions 6 teams...

You play teams in your own division THREE TIMES, no competition with the other division.

Then for week 16 and 17 do it like Grits and Shins league does it.

My 12 team league has two six team divisions, and the way we get everything to line up right is by having double weeks.

So in a double week you would submit one starting line up and that lineup goes up against two opponents in the same week.

Our double weeks are Week 2 and Week 11 of the NFL regular season, that way none of the players on your roster are on a bye during the double week.

It works out well, you play everyone in your division twice, and then everyone in the other division once. So you get 16 regular season games and the playoffs start in week 15.

The top 4 teams make the playoffs, and the Wild Card games are Week 15. Division winner with best record vs. Wild Card with worst record and so on. The winners in the wild card round advance to the Championship. The championship game is a two-week game during Weeks 16 and 17. Makes the championship game a little more interesting when it spans two weeks.

The rest of the teams play in a loser bowl, with week 15 being the qualifying round. The four highest scoring teams in Week 15 make the loser bowl brackets, and they play it out in Weeks 16 and 17 to crown the Loser Bowl winner.

I have yet to see a bad team make the playoffs in this league, usually you need to win 10 games to get in. The worst record for a playoff team in this league was 9-7.

Edited by The Monarch

Another quick note about the double weeks, just make sure that you schedule only 1 division game per double week.

We found that it would kill some people's season if they have a bad week during the double game week and lose two division games.

Usually our double weeks consist of one in division game and one non-div game.

Another quick note about the double weeks, just make sure that you schedule only 1 division game per double week.

We found that it would kill some people's season if they have a bad week during the double game week and lose two division games.

Usually our double weeks consist of one in division game and one non-div game.

Ahh, ok good point.

I really like that two week playoff thing. I almost like it as much for the wildcard weeks...Or I could do that under a conventional scenario as well.

Im thinking that I may go with some variation of this, but I need to work it up some more.

Yeah, the guys in our league really like the whole setup. I really like the two week championship game, as I think in most cases it helps the better team win.

The double weeks were the only cause for gripe initially, but once everyone saw that they aren't that bad and the setup works, they quit moaning.

The way I look at it is you can't make everyone happy, if you are the commish and it is your league, run it how you want and everyone else can get on board or take a walk.

Edited by The Monarch

Yeah, the guys in our league really like the whole setup. I really like the two week championship game, as I think in most cases it helps the better team win.

The double weeks were the only cause for gripe initially, but once everyone saw that they aren't that bad and the setup works, they quit moaning.

The way I look at it is you can't make everyone happy, if you are the commish and it is your league, run it how you want and everyone else can get on board or take a walk.

Yea, it is my league and I may actually be a little less compromising if I give it more thought and determine it's the best idea.

Let me ask you, did you guys ever consider doing double headers against the other division?

And no doubt, the double week in the playoffs definately should benefit the better team. I am just wondering if I want that double-week to be applied to the wildcard round or the Championship.

At one time we DID do double weeks in the playoffs back some years ago when we had 11 owners, but that was for the Tidy Bowl and no one cared what we did with that anyway. Still, very interesting ideas and would seem to eliminate this situation where junk teams are now climbing to the top simply because they play a team who just happens to always have a bad week against them.

Like I said, may very well incorporate some of these ideas into my league. The double-week playoffs and the double header to get all the games in really intrigues me.

Edited by kwolf68

Let me ask you, did you guys ever consider doing double headers against the other division?

Yes. Some times the doubleheader weeks are 2 non div games. But most times, including this year, it is 1 div and 1 non-div game. If you think you can everyone to agree by having the doubleheader weeks 2 non div games to start, go for it. Then once people get used to the idea you can do what you want.

Or maybe incorporate the changes slowly, like add the doubleheaders next year and add the two week champ. game the year after that.

I didn't read through the other posts, but I don't think many people use the setup my league does.

12 teams. 2 conferences. 2 divisions per conference. 3 teams per division. Each team plays every team in their division twice and every other team once. We play regular season through week 13 with playoffs in 14, 15, and SB in 16. There are three playoff spots per conference. Each division leader gets in, plus the next best team in the conference who didn't win their division. The team with the best record in each conference gets a bye in week 14.

I like this setup because it breaks things up a little better. Your real competition for a playoff spot is half the league, instead of just your division. You play divisional rivals twice (typically once toward the start of the year and once toward the end, which makes the home stretch a lot of fun). We used to use the 3 division break down, but changed to this a few years back and I personally love it. I think everyone else in the league likes it too. I highly recommend it as something to discuss with your leaguemates.

Thanks for the response guys

The impetus for this was the fact the most horrendous team has now made our league finals 2 years in a row (although our winner last year was OK, that dude didn't even make the draft). I went back through our historical records and when we played with a Rotissiere system only the best made it and the playoffs were awesome.

Since going to Head-to-head, the quirck of scheduling fate has flushed out some good teams and allowed at least one crappy team a year to succeed (this guy still has Amani toomer on his roster).

Now, I love playing Head to head, but it's a terribly flawed system and we now see that. That was the impetus for me making some radical changes.

So far the input from my league has been

-Not opposed to a week or two of double-headers

-Do not like combining two weeks in the playoffs

-Possible movement to have a "playin game" between the worst rated Final 4 team and the one team with the best Rotissere record that didn't make it. Give seeds 1-3 a bye week while the play-in game takes place. Have 2 week playoff from there.

-One of my co-commissioners loves the 3 division setup and is opposed to two six-team divisions. I will stick with it, if we can minimize the travesty that has gone on the last two years.

I have even thought about 10-team leagues and 14-team leagues. If we went with 14, we'd take 6 to the playoffs and give #1 and #2 a bye. Those leagues are obviously much tougher. A 10-team league, which we played in the early days of this league, is simply an all-star league where you have someone like Brian Westbrook as a backup.

Edited by kwolf68

we have 3 divisions of 4 teams.

top five records make the playoffs. wild card game is week #14.

three division winners get byes.

semis are played week #15 with top record playing wild card winner, and seed #2 vs. seed #3.

week #16 is the finals.

along the way each higher seeded team is given a spread of anywhere from 0.5 pt. to 6.5 pts.

Edited by rebdog

we have 3 divisions of 4 teams.

top five records make the playoffs. wild card game is week #14.

three division winners get byes.

semis are played week #15 with top record playing wild card winner, and seed #2 vs. seed #3.

week #16 is the finals.

Right now, this looks like something we may do as a compromise between me and the other co-commish (it's my league, but I like to have debate and compromise from all viewpoints).

This is a compromise that placates his desire to keep the three 4-team divisions and my desire to protect our Head to head format with the knowledge that the best teams will get a shot and not just become victims to the twist of scheduling fate.

We have 4 divisions of 3 teams

top 6 (four division winners and the two best remaining overall) teams make the playoffs with the top 2 division winners getting a first round playoff bye (week 14)

playoffs are weeks 14, 15 and 16

Each team plays it's division opponents twice and everyone else once. Seems to have worked out prettty well.

Edited by 9ersdude