[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's next, Lipstick and Mini Skirts?

Cowboyz1

While I would never in a million years get anything pierced and I harbor my own perceptions about it, people can certainly do whatever it is that they want. The way I look at it, at least with a piercing they can later decide they do not want it and in most cases the skins grows back over I believe so no longterm harm. Tatoos are a different matter and people that get them have to really want them for the rest of their lives or be willing to go through painful and expensive removal later on.

It should be funny in 30 years when all these hot babes with butt crack art are overweight, frumpy women with distorted tatoos.

People are certainly free to do what they want and what they believe brings them value unless it harms someone else. But they should also realize how their choices can affect them in society. You cannot intentionally want to set yourself outside of society visibly and then wonder why you have problems getting a job in society. It is not neccessarily a predictor of ability with or without the piercing, mod or tatoo, but people are people and it will work against you in some instances. Just human nature to want to have people similar to you around you.

:D

You make a lot of sense. However, what if what someone else is doing effects you. Here is a fact, an unfortunate one but a fact nonetheless. Everyone, no exceptions, everyone has a responsibility to set good examples for our kids, the rest of his or her race and gender, especially minorities, women included. Why separate yourself more then you already are? When a group of people set a stigma or trend that bring about negative thoughts, it affects more then just that person, it affects the whole group of people. Just like the above guy said, I would have a tough time hiring a person who comes to an interview with a ring in their tongue or a man with earrings in his ear. But professional athletes don't think twice about doing it on national TV or interviews. It sends a message and makes me wonder what their thinking. You don't see Coaches, CEO's, Owners, Bankers, or any other professionals in high paying, high profile jobs doing it. So when Ward or Lewis or Hall, wonder why they aren't taken seriously for coaching jobs or positions in the front office after their football careers are over, they can look back and see that they set themselves up to be labeled unprofessional street kids. If I were hiring, I don't want to ask myself if the guy is going to get pissed if I tell him he can't wear his earrings any longer if he wants to work for me. Moreover, is it going to become a problem if I do hire him and he forgets one day and embarrasses my organization. Basically, employers just chose to not take the chance at all, and hire someone that looks the way I want my company to be represented.

OK, you have the right to discriminate....I mean...."not hire" anyone for wearing double ear rings.....next time TO, Ward, Shockey, or any other applicant comes in to your place of business for that $8 an hour job you have posted.......don't hire them. I can see TO shaking his head right now, wondering why he did not get the head bus-boy gig..... :D

While I would never in a million years get anything pierced and I harbor my own perceptions about it, people can certainly do whatever it is that they want. The way I look at it, at least with a piercing they can later decide they do not want it and in most cases the skins grows back over I believe so no longterm harm. Tatoos are a different matter and people that get them have to really want them for the rest of their lives or be willing to go through painful and expensive removal later on.

It should be funny in 30 years when all these hot babes with butt crack art are overweight, frumpy women with distorted tatoos.

People are certainly free to do what they want and what they believe brings them value unless it harms someone else. But they should also realize how their choices can affect them in society. You cannot intentionally want to set yourself outside of society visibly and then wonder why you have problems getting a job in society. It is not neccessarily a predictor of ability with or without the piercing, mod or tatoo, but people are people and it will work against you in some instances. Just human nature to want to have people similar to you around you.

Good info here.

IMO, athletes with two giant-sized diamonds, one in each ear, look complete fools. Then again, I never listen to anything they say anyway because I'm only interested in what they do on the field. Once they cross the white line, they become irrelevant to me.

So, I guess I don't care about this as the only time I am interested in what they are doing, they are wearing helmets.

People are certainly free to do what they want and what they believe brings them value unless it harms someone else. But they should also realize how their choices can affect them in society. You cannot intentionally want to set yourself outside of society visibly and then wonder why you have problems getting a job in society.

So... your son's still wearing those pink shirts, huh?

Edited by yo mama

So... your son's still wearing those pink shirts, huh?

Fortunately pink was popular only in 7th grade and no longer is an issue. And until my kid moves out, he will conform to my standards. Fortunately he is not an issue but there are some kids in his school that are into "goth" in freaking junior high and dress like they are going to some medieval funeral. Makes you wonder what kids will be doing in 20 years to try to distance themselves from the pack.

Fortunately pink was popular only in 7th grade and no longer is an issue. And until my kid moves out, he will conform to my standards. Fortunately he is not an issue but there are some kids in his school that are into "goth" in freaking junior high and dress like they are going to some medieval funeral. Makes you wonder what kids will be doing in 20 years to try to distance themselves from the pack.

Eh, there's worse things out there than goth. Besides, goth chicks are generally freaks in the sack.

This reminds me a lot about what happened to Charles Barkley with that commercial he had. Are athletes role models and are they required to be? Shouldn't others be role models, such as coaches, teachers, PARENTS?

Michael Jordan has had an earing for who knows how long. And he is probably one of the most successful BUSINESSmen of all time.

I agree with you that they very well could be Very smart, Very educated and Very good workers. However, would you take the chance 10 out of 10 times or would you just default to going with someone else and avoid the risk that is associated with someone going out of their way to be different. How smart is it to limit yourself to be considered by only Very open minded employers.

This is probably one of the most ignorant posts I have seen in a long time. Yeah, reality is reality, and people put negative connotations with certain things such as tattoos, piercings, etc. But how are we ever suppose to break that stereotype if we continue to follow the "norm", however unreasonable it might be? Unbelievable....

Edited by Goopster24

This reminds me a lot about what happened to Charles Barkley with that commercial he had. Are athletes role models and are they required to be? Shouldn't others be role models, such as coaches, teachers, PARENTS?

Michael Jordan has had an earing for who knows how long. And he is probably one of the most successful BUSINESSmen of all time.

This is probably one of the most ignorant posts I have seen in a long time. Yeah, reality is reality, and people put negative connotations with certain things such as tattoos, piercings, etc. But how are we ever suppose to break that stereotype if we continue to follow the "norm", however unreasonable it might be? Unbelievable....

Forgive me if I don't vote for MJ as the most successful businessman of all time. Dude has certainly done well for himself but its not like he's had the midas touch since he stopped playing. Mind you, that has nothing to do with what I'm going to say.

Yo, Cowboy fan, get back in your lane. The only reason why people with tatoos and piercings have trouble getting jobs is because closeminded mamas boys like you get weirded out. I have no piercings and a very discreet tatoo so I'm not arguing from a stance of self interest. It's just not my thing.

I own a high end restaurant and employ a woman with pierced lower lip and another male waiter with dreads. My clientelle are primarily wealthy southerners in their 40s-60s. Not exactly the crowd that you would think is down with either. Funny thing, the old ladies absolutely love the dude's hair. They're always asking about it, etc. It has in no way affected my business in any negative way. The woman with the pierced lower lip, well she's hot, it looks good on her, and she's quite thankful that I'm the first employer who hasn't asked her to take it out. She is also among our most popular servers.

Now, I suppose I could have been some knee jerk closet homo and not hired them, but I decided to see if they were any good at their job. What a freaking concept. It turns out they are.

Forgive me if I don't vote for MJ as the most successful businessman of all time. Dude has certainly done well for himself but its not like he's had the midas touch since he stopped playing. Mind you, that has nothing to do with what I'm going to say.

Yo, Cowboy fan, get back in your lane. The only reason why people with tatoos and piercings have trouble getting jobs is because closeminded mamas boys like you get weirded out. I have no piercings and a very discreet tatoo so I'm not arguing from a stance of self interest. It's just not my thing.

I own a high end restaurant and employ a woman with pierced lower lip and another male waiter with dreads. My clientelle are primarily wealthy southerners in their 40s-60s. Not exactly the crowd that you would think is down with either. Funny thing, the old ladies absolutely love the dude's hair. They're always asking about it, etc. It has in no way affected my business in any negative way. The woman with the pierced lower lip, well she's hot, it looks good on her, and she's quite thankful that I'm the first employer who hasn't asked her to take it out. She is also among our most popular servers.

Now, I suppose I could have been some knee jerk closet homo and not hired them, but I decided to see if they were any good at their job. What a freaking concept. It turns out they are.

I commend you on your open door policy and glad it has worked out for you. However, most people are not willing to take those chances thus many of the pierce lipped people don't get a chance to prove they are any good. The fact that you were the only one who didn't ask her to pull the thing is telling. How many would and did? Moreover, were they better opportunities then your waitress job? All my point is that she admitted that she limited her options by chosing the lip art.

LOL wow. i really don't associate piercings with lack of confidence in oneself. sorry. i know people with piercings who are asses and i know people with zero piercings who are asses. I'm sorry, but just because you may have zero piercings, I'm not going to think you're the most amazing person ever based on that, and vice versa for people with piercings. Because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. It's not even something to 'understand'. I got my labret pierced a few years ago, have had two different jobs since, am allowed to wear it at both workplaces I've been at, and although customers may ask me about it, they really have never based their opinions of me on it, and even once they got to know me a little bit, truly like me and really don't care at all. It's not a route, it's not something to understand, it's not some societal movement, it's just something some people like, and some people don't. Just the same with tattoos or whatever else. I don't understand why some of the "older" generations can't just handle the times changing. People like different things, people have done different things for years and years, and still even to this day there are a ton of others who just can't accept anything less than straightlace.

No Ak, I don't think you get it.

People who are at peace with themselves tend not to have to neither act out, nor "decorate". Its just a fact. People have the ability to keep ONE aspect of life straight while other parts are questionable. I find kids who feel the need to decorate are really avoiding another part of their life that sucks. I happen to think , as most people do the older they get (you will too), that the pop culture kids don't get the most important lesson in life.....character is the only thing that counts.....it isn't how you DRESS or ACT......its about what you DO in life thats the most important. The more life "progresses", i.e. complicates, the more people get away from focusing their lives on what is more important. Your actions, and only your actions, are what you will be judged by.

No Ak, I don't think you get it.

People who are at peace with themselves tend not to have to neither act out, nor "decorate". Its just a fact. People have the ability to keep ONE aspect of life straight while other parts are questionable. I find kids who feel the need to decorate are really avoiding another part of their life that sucks. I happen to think , as most people do the older they get (you will too), that the pop culture kids don't get the most important lesson in life.....character is the only thing that counts.....it isn't how you DRESS or ACT......its about what you DO in life thats the most important. The more life "progresses", i.e. complicates, the more people get away from focusing their lives on what is more important. Your actions, and only your actions, are what you will be judged by.

Please go back and read your own thread. You start out claiming your hypothesis is fact then back it up with strong comments like "I find", "I happen to think". Can you chew gum and walk? Can you then, just maybe fit it into your sheltered little reality that people can actually have their act together and happen to think that piercings or tatoos are cool?