[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One and Done, Does Dungy Get Fired?

Outshined

Or Resign?

Rumor has it or at least some of the sportswriters and newscasters are saying Dungy one on a short list of replacements for the University of Minnesota head coaching job. They are saying he once said he would like to coach at his lama mater...

The Gophers are getting a new on campus open air stadium in two years. Recruiting starts in 37 days - they would like to fill the position quickly...

Or Resign?

Rumor has it or at least some of the sportswriters and newscasters are saying Dungy one on a short list of replacements for the University of Minnesota head coaching job. They are saying he once said he would like to coach at his lama mater...

The Gophers are getting a new on campus open air stadium in two years. Recruiting starts in 37 days - they would like to fill the position quickly...

It would be great to have him at Minnesota but the track record here has always been to buy cheap, get cheap. Dungy won't be cheap.

Let's be honest here. The Colts lost Corey Simon at DT. They lost Montae Reagor at DT. They lost SS Mike Doss. They lost FS Bob Sanders. At one point they were playing with their FIFTH and SIXTH best safeties, since the top four were out with injuries. That is the heart and soul of their defense. That is part of the reason they have been so bad against the run.

I don't think Dungy leaves even if they are one and done. I think it was just last off season he signed an extension.

Let's be honest here. The Colts lost Corey Simon at DT. They lost Montae Reagor at DT. They lost SS Mike Doss. They lost FS Bob Sanders. At one point they were playing with their FIFTH and SIXTH best safeties, since the top four were out with injuries. That is the heart and soul of their defense. That is part of the reason they have been so bad against the run.

I don't think Dungy leaves even if they are one and done. I think it was just last off season he signed an extension.

Even with all those guys, they would still not be a good or even decent D. In fact Simon was only fair vs the run, Reagor sucks vs the run and Doss sucks at coverage.

Colts' Dungy denies interest in Minnesota job

Associated Press

Last update: January 02, 2007 – 5:14 PM

INDIANAPOLIS -- Colts coach Tony Dungy has no plans for returning to college, even if he gets a call from his alma mater, Minnesota.

Dungy on Tuesday denied a report out of Minneapolis saying he was near the top of the Golden Gophers' wish list and that there was mutual interest.

The job opened Sunday when coach Glen Mason was fired, two days after his team blew a 31-point lead in a 44-41 loss to Texas Tech. It was the largest rally in Division I-A bowl history.

Dungy said he understood why his name would be linked to the job.

"I think that might be the case because I went to school there, but I'm not a college coach and I never have been a college coach,'' he said. "I'm not sure who's on their list. But I'm not a college coach. I'm flattered, but I'm not interested.''

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/910998.html

......At one point they were playing with their FIFTH and SIXTH best safeties,.....

Don't they always play with safeties that would be 5th and 6th best on other teams?

The Colts and great D go together like the Ravens and explosive O.

Personally, I like Dungy. However, the Colts to me are like garlic to a Vampire. I'll never be able to root for them, so I hope Dungy moves on to anyone but the Colts, Redskins and Steelers.

All teams have to deal with injuries. The problem is that Dungy's style of "finesse" defense doesn't work in the playoffs when controlling the line of scrimmage is critical. His team was also completely unprepared in last year's playoff game. It was almost like they didn't bother watching film and thinking about how they'd stop Pittsburgh's zone blitzes.

Dungy is gone if they don't win the AFC Championship Game. He had two above-average defenses in his tenure in Indy ('02 and '05) and went one-and-out both times. They've won a whole three playoff games in four years with what is arguably the most prolific sustained offense in NFL history. They may as well have saved money and kept Mora because they're right back (defensively) to where they were in 2001.