[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parcells' Replacement

J.D.Morrison

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'll bite...Would you please post a short list of established successful veteran coaches that might be available next season other than Cowher & what is stopping them from going after those coaches now?

How can you provide a short list? You don't know what may transpire over the course of a year.....firings, resignments, other issues such as what happens behind closed doors....and you can't tell me that doesn't happen. I'm just speculating for discussion purposes. Its not as simple as you want to make it be.

That's what Dallas needs, a coach that has flopped twice before. Phillips took over a 8-8 Denver team to a 9-7 mark, then a 7-9 mark before getting canned. No post season play.

In Buf, he had seasons of 10-6 and 11-5 with losses in the first playoff round of both years. Om 2000, he went 8-8 and got canned.

Five seasons as a headcoach meant 2 wildcard losses. What's not to like?

In two years as the ATL DC, they had an actual wildcard win in 2002 before losing in the divisional round. Then in 2003, the Falcons went 5-11 and he got canned along with Reeves.

Last two years as the SD DC, had one playoff game that was a loss. What's not to like?

He fits right in all right.

Aint that the truth.

How can you provide a short list? You don't know what may transpire over the course of a year.....firings, resignments, other issues such as what happens behind closed doors....and you can't tell me that doesn't happen. I'm just speculating for discussion purposes. Its not as simple as you want to make it be.

Think you misunderstood the question. Just curious as to which coaches even qualify as an established successful veteran other than Cowher. Belichick for sure. Who else?

Stoops: Not interested in Cowboys

jobBy CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING - Cowboys owner Jerry Jones might test the collegiate ranks for a new coach, but it won’t be at Oklahoma.

Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops issued a statement Tuesday saying he isn’t interested in any other coaching vacancies at this time.

“To end speculation here in the heart of recruiting, I want to make it clear that I am not interested in any other coaching positions at this time,” Stoops said. “I am too excited about our future at Oklahoma and the program we’re continuing to build.”

The Cowboys are searching for a head coach after Bill Parcells retired on Monday.

Stoops just completed his eighth season. He owns an overall mark of 86-19 and four Big 12 Championships, including the 2006 league title, and one national

Stoops: Not interested in Cowboys

jobBy CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING - Cowboys owner Jerry Jones might test the collegiate ranks for a new coach, but it won’t be at Oklahoma.

Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops issued a statement Tuesday saying he isn’t interested in any other coaching vacancies at this time.

“To end speculation here in the heart of recruiting, I want to make it clear that I am not interested in any other coaching positions at this time,” Stoops said. “I am too excited about our future at Oklahoma and the program we’re continuing to build.”

The Cowboys are searching for a head coach after Bill Parcells retired on Monday.

Stoops just completed his eighth season. He owns an overall mark of 86-19 and four Big 12 Championships, including the 2006 league title, and one national

Didn't Nick Saban say just before he left the Dolphins for Alabama that he wasn't interested in leaving Miami for Alabama :D

Why do anything for the short term? So that systems and schemes cannot be fully integrated and then change all over again? I'd rather see them take a younger coach with the chance that he may actually coach more than three or four years.

Why do anything for the short term? So that systems and schemes cannot be fully integrated and then change all over again? I'd rather see them take a younger coach with the chance that he may actually coach more than three or four years.

Ok, I agree, who is that guy? And it don't look like stoops at the moment.

Lets get realistic, sports nowadays is all about big money and immediate gratification. Owners will dump a coach after one year and not bat an eye. I'm pretty sure the Cowhers of the world spending 15 years as head coach with one team is a thing of the past, so lets take what we can get, when we can get it, for as long as our owners can stand it.

Edited by Retrograde assault

Just wanted to point out that Galileo proved centuries ago that Texas isn't actually the center of the universe. :D

:bash:

Who is this Galileo you speak of? Has he ever been to East Texas? :D

Lets get realistic, sports nowadays is all about big money and immediate gratification. Owners will dump a coach after one year and not bat an eye. I'm pretty sure the Cowhers of the world spending 15 years as head coach with one team is a thing of the past, so lets take what we can get, when we can get it, for as long as our owners can stand it.

I don't argue the point that the door swings open a lot faster now than in years past. It's over for the days of Halas, Landry, Knoll and even Cowhers. But for success - which Dallas wants since they are getting a new billion dollar stadium, changing coaches doesn't usually mean more than accepting bad results at least for a while and if that is repeated every few years, then I just do not see how it can be a good thing to look for anything but a coach you hope sticks with you for a long time.

Consider the coaches that all played in the Divisional Round of the playoffs this year and how long they have been with their teams:

Andy Reid - 8

Sean Payton - 1

Bill Belichick - 7

Marty Schottenheimer - 5

Mike Holgren - 8

Lovie Smith - 3

Tony Dungy - 5

Brian Billick - 8

So that the only teams that made it past the wildcard round in the playoffs had only two coaches with less than 5 years with their team.

Lovie Smith - An outstanding defense playing in a soft division plays big.

Sean Payton - Truly astounding and certainly an exception to many rules.

It takes time to get a team all on the same page and changing coaches is a setback to be sure. Maybe coaches do not stick around for 10 years anymore, but I think that is how you should select them - not on the idea they are going to turn your team around and get it deep into the playoffs in only a couple of years before they leave and you start over.

It's news in TX for obvious reasons. It rated a narrow column on the inside sports page yesterday here in Minny and not a mention today. It's a regional thing.

Its news on the Dan Patrick National radio show, as well as ESPN even 3 days after the fact. And monopolizd that same show the full 3 hrs on Monday. Id hardly call a National show, as well as ESPN sportscenter a regional thing. Maybe your newspaper needs to get its head out of its ass, and cover the news.

Wade Phillips--HC

Jason Garrett--OC--HC in training

If Phillips interview falls out..look for Norv Turner....

My thoughts too, except in reverse. One of the top priorities for the Cowboys is finding a head coach that will develop Romo. None better that are available right now than Turner.

from cowboys.com--

When the start of the business day began here Wednesday morning at Valley Ranch, Jason Garrett arrived seemingly as one of the top candidates for the offensive coordinator position.

But as the former Cowboys quarterback and current Miami Dolphins quarterbacks coach left the complex several hours later, there was a drastic change in perception.

It became quite clear Garrett was no longer interviewing for just the offensive coordinator position.

That's right, put Garrett right in the mix as a possible head coaching candidate, and maybe even at the top.

Garrett, who turns 41 in March, spent all day at Valley Ranch, meeting with both team owner Jerry Jones and his son, Stephen, along with former head coach Bill Parcells, who has remained in his office this week despite announcing his retirement from coaching Monday morning.

The Dolphins granted permission for the Cowboys to meet with Garrett about becoming the next offensive coordinator in Dallas. But Miami did ask that Garrett make a decision by Thursday whether to sign a contract extension to return as the Dolphins' quarterbacks coach for a third season.

However, Garrett's return to Dallas might include something much bigger. In fact, Garrett could agree on a contract with the Cowboys to become at least offensive coordinator as early as Thursday, before the Dolphins' deadline expires. But that wouldn't necessarily take his name out of the running for the Cowboys' vacant head coaching job.