[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Norv Turner to be Boys next coach?

Sgt. Ryan

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2749678

Updated: Jan. 31, 2007, 4:00 PM ET

Turner wants to choose staff, likes Bears' RiveraESPN.com news services

While Norv Turner remains the leading candidate to be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Turner has made some stipulations to the team, including asking for control over choosing his staff.

And it now looks like Turner would want Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera as his defensive coordinator in Dallas.

According to league sources, the Bears will allow Rivera's contract to expire at the end of this season (after the Super Bowl), and Rivera could leave the team to join the Cowboys staff.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys interviewed Bears Hall of Fame linebacker and 49ers assistant coach Mike Singletary on Tuesday and indications are that Singletary was very impressive in his interview.

Interesting. The Vikings also appear to be waiting on the Bears and Colts for their next DC, but I've heard a lesser name thrown out there in the LB coach for Chicago, Bob Babich. I know little of him except he used to be the HC up in Fargo at NDSU. Also it has been mentioned that if Rivera leaves Babich might be in line to take HIS job. So watch the Cowboys take Rivera, Babich be promoted in Chicago, and the Vikings STILL without a body for the DC position. If Rivera is so good and is going to be available, I hope Wilf makes a run at him himself.

Rivera is winning with Lovie's defense, not the other way around. I'm sure that Rivera would be a good DC without Lovie, but I think that people need to temper their expectations. He's only been a DC for three years and has the best defensive talent in the league at his disposal right now.

Rivera is winning with Lovie's defense, not the other way around. I'm sure that Rivera would be a good DC without Lovie, but I think that people need to temper their expectations. He's only been a DC for three years and has the best defensive talent in the league at his disposal right now.

True, but Tomlin was only in a DC in Minnesota for one year and now he's a HC. Of course, that's another bad thing about going after Rivera as DC. He could be gone after only one year and into his own HC job.

You're the DC of a Super Bowl team (potential world champs) and your current defense is regarded as one of the best in the league. Do you make a lateral move for a little more money and risk falling flat on your face with a new system and unfamiliar personnel, or do you stick it out for another year with great expectations for being able to have repeated success, and then watch as the big money HC offers roll in?

I know that money talks, but if I were Rivera I would stay put until the better offers come next year.

Edited by Savage Beatings

True, but Tomlin was only in a DC in Minnesota for one year and now he's a HC. Of course, that's another bad thing about going after Rivera as DC. He could be gone after only one year and into his own HC job.

Childress was an OC prior to his current HC position, so I'd give Tomlin a lot more credit towards building that defense than Childress.

On the other hand, Lovie was a LB coach in TB under Dungy and then, as a DC, re-built the abysmal 2000 Rams defense into a unit that was good enough to get them to the SB the following year. The Cover 2 defense that the Bears are running is Lovie's (learned from Dungy), not Rivera's.

I'm sure that Rivera is a more-than-capable DC, but I think that this talk of him being the best DC in the league and him possibly getting a HC position is a bit premature.

From what we hear, Riveria isnt getting as much credit from the other 31 teams, as this is Lovies D. I know in Chicago, that might not be the case, but Chicago isnt hiring Rivera to be its HC any time soon. So what other GM's think matters. If Rivera could come in here and turn this D around, his stock will sky rocket. Obviously there is risk, but he isnt getting a job as HC where he is at, yet anyway.

Cowboys.com is reporting that Jones will wait until after the Superbowl to make a decision on the head coach and may interview more candidates.

I just heard on local sportsradio that there was a rumor around media row that Ron River may be one of the next candidates for head coach in Dallas, so when I came here and saw that he would possibly be the DC, I became a bit befuddled. Either way Rivera said that he hadn't heard from anybody at the Cowboys, and his wife in fact informed him of the rumor.

As for Norv, I think he is just a two-year smokescreen. His main job will be to groom Jason Garrett. It is unbelievable how many people have praised Jason Garrett when asked about him, and he is a guy that is being talked about right now as having the potential to be one of the best offensive minds in the game. The reason that going with Norv Turner makes sense rather than just hiring Garrett now is that it will give Garrett two years to work almost exclusively with Tony Romo, which is what the Cowboys really want out of Garrett anyway. Garrett backed up Aikman there for a long time so there is an obvious connection between Garrett and the Cowboys. Jerry Jones loves Troy Aikman. Troy Aikman loves Norv Turner. They all love Jason Garrett. I'm not even a huge Norv Turner believer, but I honestly can't believe he hasn't been announced yet.

Edited by Seahawks21

If they want Norv Turner as their head coach, why haven't they hired him yet? My thinking is that they actually want to hire Ron Rivera. This is something I haven't heard many people say, but is a possibility. I think the Cowboys are just waiting until after the Super Bowl to make their bid on Rivera, and that Turner is just a front. Just my two cents. Probably way off base, but why not?

Cowboys always kill the Indians in the end, didn't you watch any of those westerns?

Why do you keep trying to get me to watch Brokeback Mountain with you? I told you, not my thing.

And if thats what you guys want to call killing the Indians in the end, well whatever floats yer boat.

I was just saying I dont thing the Dallas Cowboys are gonna be any good next year with Peewee Herman coaching and TO calling the plays.

If they want Norv Turner as their head coach, why haven't they hired him yet? My thinking is that they actually want to hire Ron Rivera. This is something I haven't heard many people say, but is a possibility. I think the Cowboys are just waiting until after the Super Bowl to make their bid on Rivera, and that Turner is just a front. Just my two cents. Probably way off base, but why not?

My thoughts as well. I don't know who is making "Turner a front", the media or Jerry Jones.

While I am looking forward to seeing the Super Bowl, I am also a bit anxious to see what happens with the Cowboys HC situation once it is over.