[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

YouTube Videos

keggerz

This is an oldie but I'm sure there are some that haven't seen it.

Here's the story behind this:

Finding the Star Wars Kid

Posted May 13, 2003

The Star Wars Kid has been found!

The two videos were downloaded 1.1 million times from my site alone, a staggering 2.3 terabytes of traffic, placing a geeky little kid at the center of the web's attention practically overnight. So who was he and what was he thinking?

My research revealed few details, until the culprits finally contacted me. His name is Ghyslain, a 15-year-old tenth grader living in Quebec. Originally recorded onto an 8mm tape on November 4, 2002 in the school's studio, the video was never meant to be seen by anyone. After Ghyslain returned the borrowed videotape to his friend, the video sat in a basement for months. On April 19, 2003, Ghyslain's friend stumbled on the tape's secret contents and immediately shared it with friends. They thought it would be a funny prank to encode the video and upload it to Kazaa.

It only took two weeks for the video to spread around the world. Raven Software's Bryan Dube added the Star Wars effects on April 24, a mere five days after it originally appeared to the Internet. A week later, both videos were linked on every major gaming- and technology-related website, forum, and chat room online.

What does Ghyslain think about all this? My French-speaking friend Jish interviewed him today to find out what he thought about his newfound popularity. Read the interview now. Overall, he seems like a damn cool kid. I don't care what anyone else thinks; Ghyslain is my new hero.

Edited by Double Agent

This is an oldie but I'm sure there are some that haven't seen it.

Here's the story behind this:

Finding the Star Wars Kid

Posted May 13, 2003

The Star Wars Kid has been found!

The two videos were downloaded 1.1 million times from my site alone, a staggering 2.3 terabytes of traffic, placing a geeky little kid at the center of the web's attention practically overnight. So who was he and what was he thinking?

My research revealed few details, until the culprits finally contacted me. His name is Ghyslain, a 15-year-old tenth grader living in Quebec. Originally recorded onto an 8mm tape on November 4, 2002 in the school's studio, the video was never meant to be seen by anyone. After Ghyslain returned the borrowed videotape to his friend, the video sat in a basement for months. On April 19, 2003, Ghyslain's friend stumbled on the tape's secret contents and immediately shared it with friends. They thought it would be a funny prank to encode the video and upload it to Kazaa.

It only took two weeks for the video to spread around the world. Raven Software's Bryan Dube added the Star Wars effects on April 24, a mere five days after it originally appeared to the Internet. A week later, both videos were linked on every major gaming- and technology-related website, forum, and chat room online.

What does Ghyslain think about all this? My French-speaking friend Jish interviewed him today to find out what he thought about his newfound popularity. Read the interview now. Overall, he seems like a damn cool kid. I don't care what anyone else thinks; Ghyslain is my new hero.

lmao..I've seen the first one but never the second. I had to watch it a couple times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:wacko: The consummate twentieth century minstrel.

RIP, Dan Fogelberg.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Saw him for the first time in the summer of 73 in Hattisberg, Ms. Used to wake up to the Homefree alblum on a daily basis for years. I know I went thru 4-5 copies of it over the years. Actually brought tears to my eyes just now listening to To the Morning.

Thanks PS for posting this.

This had me laughing. NSFW. Actually not sure how the F word was accepted.

• DMD unpinned this topic