[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I Hurt My Shoulder

spain

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that Spain. I was telling ya back in Feb. it sounded like a rotator cuff injury and if it was really painful that was not good-meaning a long rehab or surgery.

Rehab after surgery is crucial. If you push it, you will be back in surgery and facing arthritis. So, listen to your physical therapist.

I'm sorry you have to go through it, but the advancements in shoulder surgery are truly remarkable. With proper rehab you should recover full function and be back to weight lifting before you know it!! :D

I'm sorry you have to go through it, but the advancements in shoulder surgery are truly remarkable. With proper rehab you should recover full function and be back to right-handed wanking before you know it!! :D

Fixed. :D

Spain, I was working out pretty heavily before I had shoulder surgery too - about 5 years ago when I was 29. Here's sort of what to expect based on my experience.

It may be outpatient surgery, but it still sucks.

You won't feel up to doing much of anything for 10 days to two weeks at least. You may have a pump (about the size and shape of an oil filter), that feeds painkillers straight into your shoulder for the first 3 days. Your whole arm may feel numb or even "asleep" - which is very weird.

You'll be in a sling for four to six weeks. This is the worst time if the surgery is on your dominant arm like mine was. You have to do everything with your other hand. Jokes aside, it sounds minor, but brushing your teeth, fixing meals, typing will all take two to three times as long. Its a real pain.

My Physical Therapy started two weeks after surgery, and lasted 12 weeks. Stretching exercises at first, followed by lots of rubber band workouts.

After that, I began very light workouts and continued with the stretching and strength building exercises I learned at PT.

The shoulder probably will feel weak for 6 months. To get back to your pre-injury strength and the point where you really trust that shoulder again takes a year.

Occasionally (maybe 3-4 times a year), my shoulder gets an ache that reminds me of the surgery - especially when the weather changes dramatically. Hopefully you won't have to go that route, but I know what its like to live with that kind of pain. I think I waited 6 months or so before going under the knife. Its worth it in the long run.

Spain, you're a dick - i say this cause I read this late, posted about my own issues many years ago.....and within 4 hours my shoulder (which hadn't bothered me in months) started aching and today I can barely lift it....somehow your problem has transfered over

don't post about your VD issues is all I can say

Ok, I havent lifted weights since I heard my shoulder a couple months ago. As a matter of fact, I havent done any exercise at all. I tried to run a couple times but the jarring on my shoulder was just to f'n painful. This thing isnt getting any better. I finally went to the doctor today. He took some X-Rays and then examined me. He said I definitely have a torn rotator cuff and probably a torn labrum as well. I am getting an MRI next Monday to be sure. He will tell me after that if I need a scoping or a cutting or both. This sucks! :D

I will say that having this injury sucks. It wakes me up whenever I roll on my right side at night. Its dam near impossible to reach across with my right hand to grab my shoulder harness seat belt. And something in there "catches" whenever I raise my arm. I have no idea what is catching on what, but it feels like I am being stabbed in the shoulder joing with a hot serrated machete. This sucks.

There goes the 2007 season :D

Hopefully just a deep strain, caused by overexertion and (perhaps) improper lifting technique.

I thought my shoulder was gonna fall off 3-4 years ago with similar pain, caused by a rigorous hour of canoeing on a windy day - for which I was obviously not prepared. Turned out I just needed some (prescription) muscle relaxants, ibuprofen and roids for a couple days.

Good luck....

MR. SPAIN,

I had the rotator cuff surgery done in 1991. I blew it out turning a screw driver (NO NOT DRINKING ONE...I hate those drinks) real hard! :D

They took out a cubic inch of bone to allow more clearance, but I really f'd up my biceps tendon, by ripping/shredding it lengthwise. That they couldn't repair. :D Today, maybe they could. My strength was ~40% before surgery and I got it back to ~80% after w/ 3 months of PT. After my neck surgery (2002), I'd say it's now back to 60%. :D And because of the tendon and nerve damage, my arm jumps for no reason.

Chavez, Dr. Love, 'member when I spilled soup on myself during dinner? That was one occasion of the arm jump. :tup: I could sell tickets for people to watch what my arm does all by itself. :doh: Anyone remember Dr. Strangelove? :D

Soooo......I really hope you have just a sprain. If you have to go thru surgery, I'm sure they are better now than they were 16 years ago, and they were state-of-the-art back then.

The best to you my friend. I hope and pray all goes well!

rr26