[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Norv to the Bolts

HowboutthemCowboys

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AJ lookin' like a genius to me :doh:

I'll I can say is AJ is in a precaurious situation. The Chargers almost have to make it to the superbowl for him to not have egg on his face. As an anti-Marty guy, I still believe that he was the best guy for the Chargers next year. The turnover debacle against New England was not Marty's fault.

What is Norv's career record as a head coach?

How many playoff games has Norv won?

If Norv equals his 9-year career playoff wins in 2007 the Chargers will at least make it to the 2nd round again next year.

:tup:

:D Wonder how Norv did as HC at WAS ... or OAK ... :D

Wonder why anybody thinks he will do any better in SD?

I swear you were saying that San Diego well get better by default without Marty as coach.

What is Norv's career record as a head coach? 58-82-1

How many playoff games has Norv won? 1-1

If Norv equals his 9-year career playoff wins in 2007 the Chargers will at least make it to the 2nd round again next year.

I swear you were saying that San Diego well get better by default without Marty as coach.

And neither can fans of all the other AFC teams. Really, you think he has a track record as HC that would improve a 14-2 record?

:D

Compared to the other AFC West teams, I think they almost win the division by default. Except for the reigning division and last year's superbowl champion Raiders (Lord knows they win it EVERY year :tup: ) , there is not a better coaching situation in the division and there is not a team in the division with better players, except for, once again, the Raiders.

Marty was a figurehead HC and the OC & DC did all the play calling and game prep last year. All Marty did was run around yelling "One play at a time". That is the extent of his game banter and it gets old.

Coachingwise, the Chargers are as good if not better on both sides of the ball with Rivera in the mix. Norv is the teacher returning to the system he put in place and Cotrell/Rivera are a solid team if not better than Phillips (Cotrell ran this same D in Buffalo when Phillips was the HC there).

Norv's last gig in Choakland was a joke. He was given a pile of poop and all he could make was poop salad. He had an aging and talent depleted team in Washington and made them more competitive than they should have been.

I don't know how AJ pulled this off, but I am a very happy Charger fan. I wasn't a few weeks ago, even before Marty was fired (I started a warning thread about a possible bad year).

I am not saying Superbowl, I didn't last year, but I do think the depth and talent on this team is one of the three best in the league and they have as good a shot as anyone! :D

Compared to the other AFC West teams, I think they almost win the division by default. Except for the reigning division and last year's superbowl champion Raiders (Lord knows they win it EVERY year :D ) , there is not a better coaching situation in the division and there is not a team in the division with better players, except for, once again, the Raiders.

Glad you realize that finally, it must be hard being a fan of the ONLY AFC West team to never win a SB... :D

Marty was a figurehead HC and the OC & DC did all the play calling and game prep last year. All Marty did was run around yelling "One play at a time". That is the extent of his game banter and it gets old.

Yes, he has always been a figurehead and has never had a single thign to do with a win in KC, Cle, Was and SD. Ever. In fact, other NFL teams should take note; if you have an OC and a DC calling the plays, save your money and fire that HC!!

Coachingwise, the Chargers are as good if not better on both sides of the ball with Rivera in the mix. Norv is the teacher returning to the system he put in place and Cotrell/Rivera are a solid team if not better than Phillips (Cotrell ran this same D in Buffalo when Phillips was the HC there).

Good points, you are MUCH better off now than you were with the HC, OC and DC that got your team to it's best record in franchise history last year.

Norv's last gig in Choakland was a joke. He was given a pile of poop and all he could make was poop salad. He had an aging and talent depleted team in Washington and made them more competitive than they should have been.

Good points again, afterall, making a team better than when he arrived isn't Norv Turner's strength.

I don't know how AJ pulled this off, but I am a very happy Charger fan. I wasn't a few weeks ago, even before Marty was fired (I started a warning thread about a possible bad year).

Again, there are a lot of fans around other AFC teams that are maybe happier than you over this.

I am not saying Superbowl, I didn't last year, but I do think the depth and talent on this team is one of the three best in the league and they have as good a shot as anyone!

No sarcastic argument there, that is why the firing of Shott baffles me and the hiring of Turner even more so. If ownership was going to do this, they should have just pulled the trigger and moved Wade up.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=40021

IAHawkeyes

Daddy Rollin Stone Join Date: Jan 2007

------------------------

Norv's been our coach for 10 minutes and already the ambivalence is settling in. My god listen to yourselves..."Well, I'm not happy, but I'll make the best of it..." Jeezez you all sound like Turner Clones! He's a loser. Marty may not have been able to win in the playoffs, but by god he got us there. In NINE SEASONS, TURNER's BEEN THERE ONCE!!!!!

This is the worst decision since we chose the wrong Bobby.

J.L. Robert

Rookie Join Date: Jun 2006

------------------------------

I just checked...

The domain name www<dot>fireAJSmith.com is still available. Is someone with some web design skills willing to take up the banner?

mhchargerfan

Rookie Join Date: Feb 2007

----------------------------------

Well once again, AJ Smith has screwed this franchise, and the only darn reason he hired Turner, is because they are friends! Friends do not bring championships, and Marty is 10x better coach than Turner!!!!Truly disappointed and heartbroken. I must now watch my team go down the drain with one of the best RB's to play the game, and a defense that's incredible, how do you screw that up, leave it to AJ Smith. I swear he should have been fired, not Marty.

If we do not make the playoffs, Spanos better fire AJ, and then his friend too. Actually, you can let the stadium of fans whom have been patiently waiting for the Lombardi, now we must watch in horror. Let's us pray our talent can get us through, cause it surely will not be the coach!

truly disappointed fan!!!

Edited by Return Of S&B

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/footb...rible_Mr_Turner

Let me say this as clearly and simply as possible: Norv Turner can't coach. He's an awful hire for the Chargers. He's going to undo everything that the team has accomplished over the last three years.

Turner's all-time record as a head coach is 58-82-1 . That's bad. His teams have won 10 games exactly once in nine seasons.. That's truly bad. Even a blind squirrel stumbles upon more than one nut per decade. Even Rich Kotite reached double-digits in wins two times. If Chargers fans are sick of Marty Schottenheimer because he always loses in the playoffs, they can take solace in the fact that Turner never reaches the playoffs. His all-time playoff record as a head coach is 1-1 .

But Turner is a great offensive mind, you say? Turner the coordinator is only slightly more effective than Turner the coach. Since 1994, only one Turner-coached offense (head coach or coordinator) has finished in the top-10 in the NFL in DVOA: the 1999 Redskins . If you don't like DVOA, fine. Only one Turner-coached team has finished in the top 10 in points scored or yards gained: the 1999 Redskins . His teams – the 1994-2000 Redskins, the 2001 Chargers, the 2002-03 Dolphins, the 2004-05 Raiders, the 2006 Niners -- usually finish between 12th and 24th in the league in the major offensive categories. A 12th place finish isn't bad, but if offense is your strong point, you have to do better.

Turner's supporters point out that he often takes over terrible offenses, so his ability to take them from 32nd to 16th in the league is an accomplishment. I'd like to introduce those supporters to my friend Mr. Central Tendency. Mr. Tendency makes bad teams mediocre with the help of friends like Mr. Law of Averages and Mr. High Draft Choice. Once these misters have done their business, Turner doesn't have to do much to make a middling offense. His efforts with the Niners last season were typical. He took over a team that ranked dead last in offensive DVOA. Their rookie quarterback became a second-year quarterback, they spent a high draft choice on a tight end, they signed a veteran All Pro offensive guard, and Frank Gore emerged as a featured back. Thanks to all this and a little bit of Turner brilliance, the Niners climbed all the way to 24th in DVOA. Way to go Norv!

Of course, if a team climbed from 32nd to 24th to 12th to third on Turner's watch, that would be a sign of competence. But Turner never hangs around that long. If Turner were a business executive, he would take companies that were $20 million in debt, cut the debt to $12 million, and claim success. Then, after he left, the debt would go back to $20 million. Have you seen the Dolphins or Raiders offenses lately? That's the extent of Turner's post-Cowboys resume: he takes crappy teams, makes them slightly less crappy, then leaves before anyone notices that he hasn't coached a good offense since 1999. Then, the crappiness returns. Turner Boosters claim that the return to crappiness is a sign of Norv's genius: see, that was a 4-12 team before and after Turner, and only he could make them 7-9. You would think that such a great coach and developer of talent (more on that in a minute) would leave teams better off than they were when he arrived.

Oh yeah, the Cowboys. Turner made his name with Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys, of course, and those teams posted some impressive offensive totals. The trouble is that my mom could have coached that team into the Super Bowl. "Here, Troy, here's a football. Give it to Emmit a lot, throw it Michael a lot. Remember that the offensive line will only give you a minute or two to make your decision on most plays, so choose wisely."

Turner has milked every drop of mojo he could from his stint with the Cowboys. In fact, you will probably read an article by Troy Aikman on the main FOX site in the next few days praising Turner. I don't want to knock Aikman. Aikman's toenail clippings contain more football knowledge than is lodged in my entire cranium. But Aikman just isn't impartial when it comes to his former coach. Aikman will often say that Turner made him into a great player, but Aikman was always destined to be a great player. He has it backwards: Aikman turned Turner into a viable coaching candidate. Chargers fans will pay the price over the next few years.

Offensive stats tell just part of the story. Compared to Turner the Motivator, Turner the Offensive Guru is a genius. Turner lets the boys be boys, with predictable results. His teams generally fade down the stretch and descend into squabbling while he sends out applications for his next gig. His Redskins underachieved. His Raiders underachieved. The Chargers, coming off a 14-2 season, have plenty of room for underachievement.

And yet Turner keeps getting hired, thanks in part to the old boy network and in part to the Turner Boosters who incomprehensible excuse and rationalize his failings. Turner is a great developer of young talent … you've heard that, right? In addition to Aikman and Irvin, he developed Trent Green, Terry Allen, LaDainian Tomlinson, Ricky Williams, Frank Gore, and more. Actually, that's about it, and it’s a list that includes lots of players who would have been superstars unless a coach told them to bulk up to 400 pounds or cut out their ACLs in their sleep. Turner Boosters give their man credit for "developing" any player who ever did well on any of the teams he coached. The list looks pretty good because Turner coached all over the place and therefore rubbed shoulders with all sorts of top prospects.

Alex Smith is Norv's latest success story: Smith went from an awful rookie to a pretty mediocre soph (35th in the league in DPAR) in what looks like the standard career arc for a young quarterback. If Smith is an All Pro in two years, you can bet that Turner Boosters will put the feather in their man's cap.

Norv Turner is a lousy coach. He might be effective as a receivers or quarterbacks coach, where he can teach footwork and arm motion and never make a game-affecting decision. But he's awful as a coordinator and poison as a head coach. The Chargers made a stupid decision. He'll take them to 10-6 this season, miss the playoffs, and claim success. Broncos and Chiefs fans have reason to celebrate, and even Raiders fans can feel like the smart kids for a few weeks.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/footb...rible_Mr_Turner

...Let me say this as clearly and simply as possible: Norv Turner can't coach. He's an awful hire for the Chargers. He's going to undo everything that the team has accomplished over the last three years.

...Norv Turner is a lousy coach. He might be effective as a receivers or quarterbacks coach, where he can teach footwork and arm motion and never make a game-affecting decision. But he's awful as a coordinator and poison as a head coach. The Chargers made a stupid decision. He'll take them to 10-6 this season, miss the playoffs, and claim success. Broncos and Chiefs fans have reason to celebrate, and even Raiders fans can feel like the smart kids for a few weeks.

Yeah! If we had gotten in the coach game earlier we could have gotten a guy named Kitten, or somethingmlike that! :D

I love Raider fans.

I have NEVER been a Turner fan.

I find his play calling unimaginative and uninspired. His play calling only works if he has a top O-Line with top players at the skilled positions. When he has top talent then they make his plays work ... so it doesn't matter that the defense knows what is coming the offense is good enough to make it work.

We don't need to be 14 & 2 again. Ask the Colts what that gets you.

We need to win the division and win in the playoffs. I credit Marty with turning us around...along with John Butler and AJ.

Ask Troy Aikman what he thinks of Norvell.

Don't judge Norv on Washington and Oakland. How long did the great Mike Shanahan last in Oakland?

How much success did Marty have in Washington?

Team management and players mean everything. As long as the players buy in we'll be fine. I know Rivers, LT, and Gates will. So I ain't concerned.

GO CHARGERS!

Edited by rebdog

We don't need to be 14 & 2 again. Ask the Colts what that gets you.

We need to win the division and win in the playoffs. I credit Marty with turning us around...along with John Butler and AJ.

Ask Troy Aikman what he thinks of Norvell.

Don't judge Norv on Washington and Oakland. How long did the great Mike Shanahan last in Oakland?

How much success did Marty have in Washington?

Team management and players mean everything. As long as the players buy in we'll be fine. I know Rivers, LT, and Gates will. So I ain't concerned.

GO CHARGERS!

How much success did Marty have at other teams besides Washington? Is Washington his only other point of reference as a HC? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Marty 8-8 in his only year at WAS? How does that a .500 record compare to Turner's record as a HC?

Why shouldn't Norv be judged on his performances in WAS and OAK? Why exactly does he get a "do-over"?

Turner is NOT even the OC everybody makes him out to be ... let alone a legitimate HC. So what that Aikman likes Turner ... what does that have to do with anything.

I have NEVER been a Turner fan.

I find his play calling unimaginative and uninspired. His play calling only works if he has a top O-Line with top players at the skilled positions. When he has top talent then they make his plays work ... so it doesn't matter that the defense knows what is coming the offense is good enough to make it work.

I think the jury would still be out on that as well. The Chiefs absolutely crushed everything he threw at them offensively this past season in Arrowhead. Sure the talent level wasn't anywhere near ass good, it was an away game....but the Chargers and Chiefs know each other VERY well and hate each other to boot. I'm estatic as a Chiefs fan :D

How much success did Marty have at other teams besides Washington? Is Washington his only other point of reference as a HC? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Marty 8-8 in his only year at WAS? How does that a .500 record compare to Turner's record as a HC?

Why shouldn't Norv be judged on his performances in WAS and OAK? Why exactly does he get a "do-over"?

Turner is NOT even the OC everybody makes him out to be ... let alone a legitimate HC. So what that Aikman likes Turner ... what does that have to do with anything.

my point is that Schottenheimer and Shanahan are good coaches.....and neither had success with the two organizations that Norv is being judged on as a Head Coach.

As for Aikman liking Turner, I respect Aikman. He's a very level-headed guy and I think for a media guy he makes intelligent arguments and statements. Take it for what its worth i guess. But I'll take his opinion over Mortensen and most others.

As for Turner being overrated as an OC.....show me what you got?

Edited by rebdog

my point is that Schottenheimer and Shanahan are good coaches.....and neither had success with the two organizations that Norv is being judged on as a Head Coach.

As for Aikman liking Turner, I respect Aikman. He's a very level-headed guy and I think for a media guy he makes intelligent arguments and statements. Take it for what its worth i guess. But I'll take his opinion over Mortensen and most others.

As for Turner being overrated as an OC.....show me what you got?

Turner was HC of WAS for 6+ years. I'd say that was plenty of time to make his mark on the team. His record was 50-61-1 (counting all of 2000) with 3 winning seasons. There was no consistency.

Schottenheimer was at WAS for 1 year and replicated the previous year's 8-8 record and did not have an opportunity to stay and improve.

Shanahan was in OAK less than 2 years where he went 8-12. The Raiders went 15-17 in that period. Again 2 years is not much of a chance to establish yourself. Shanahan did not get an opportunity to be a HC again until 6 years later.

Now Turner was only at Oakland for 2 years as well going 9-23. That is by far a worse showing in a short period of time than Schotteheimer or Shanahan.

As to Aikman's comments on Turner. Why wouldn't Aikman like Turner? Turner was his OC on a team that won 3 SBs. Of course that team had hall of famers at QB, RB, WR with possible more to come. It wasn't real hard to be a successful OC with that team. I believe Aikman is a bit biased here.

Here is a nice discussion about the demerits of Turner as HC and OC: http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&s...dpost&p=1934926

I watched Turner in Dallas struggle to run the same offense when the team was aging. Load left, for a loss ... again and again and again. No imagination, no inspiration. I could have been happier when he left Dallas and while not thrilled about Wade Phillips I am thrilled it wasn't Norv Turner.

Turner was HC of WAS for 6+ years. I'd say that was plenty of time to make his mark on the team. His record was 50-61-1 (counting all of 2000) with 3 winning seasons. There was no consistency.

Schottenheimer was at WAS for 1 year and replicated the previous year's 8-8 record and did not have an opportunity to stay and improve.

Shanahan was in OAK less than 2 years where he went 8-12. The Raiders went 15-17 in that period. Again 2 years is not much of a chance to establish yourself. Shanahan did not get an opportunity to be a HC again until 6 years later.

Now Turner was only at Oakland for 2 years as well going 9-23. That is by far a worse showing in a short period of time than Schotteheimer or Shanahan.

bottom line...Turner's HCing opportunities were with crap-ass, idiot owners. and Oakland shouldn't even count. no one wants to coach there. and it seems to me SF's offense flourished under Turner last season.

all that any of this adds up to is that the jury is still out. he's a good OC, regardless of what you might think. .....i believe he can do it as a HC with this team. hey, not to compare him but if Barry Switzer can win a SB, Norv Turner can.

Edited by rebdog

bottom line...Turner's HCing opportunities were with crap-ass, idiot owners. and Oakland shouldn't even count. no one wants to coach there. and it seems to me SF's offense flourished under Turner last season.

all that any of this adds up to is that the jury is still out. he's a good OC, regardless of what you might think. .....i believe he can do it as a HC with this team. hey, not to compare him but if Barry Switzer can win a SB, Norv Turner can.

SF had the 24th ranked offense last year ... out of 32 ... you call that "flourished"?

He is a good OC when he has an offense full of pro-bowlers and hall of famers. Otherwise he is mediocre at best.

Barry Switzer won a SB with Jimmy Johnson's team ... I agree that Norv Turner could also have won a SB with that same team. Norv isn't going to win any SBs with his own team though.

SF had the 24th ranked offense last year ... out of 32 ... you call that "flourished"?

He is a good OC when he has an offense full of pro-bowlers and hall of famers. Otherwise he is mediocre at best.

Barry Switzer won a SB with Jimmy Johnson's team ... I agree that Norv Turner could also have won a SB with that same team. Norv isn't going to win any SBs with his own team though.

Alex Smith made great strides in his "2nd year" as starting QB. And Frank Gore led the NFC in rushing. Ask Niner fans how they feel about losing Norv.

round and round we go. :D

Alex Smith made great strides in his "2nd year" as starting QB. And Frank Gore led the NFC in rushing. Ask Niner fans how they feel about losing Norv.

round and round we go. :D

Well if those facts make you forget that the offense as a whole was 24th out of 32 then I suppose you might think Norv was a good OC. Having the number 1 running game in the NFC (by rushing yards only) is largely mitigated by the fact that the offense as a whole was ranked 24th.

And despite "great strides by Alex Smith" SFO finished:

29th in passing yards

25th in passing TDs

23rd in passing completion percentage

18th in INTs

The rushing offense:

6th in rushing yards

28th in rusning TDs

Now lets evaluate Gore's rushing per game in 2006:

Looks like he had a nice 3 game stretch the last 3 weeks in Novemeber but was mostly up and down.

Well if those facts make you forget that the offense as a whole was 24th out of 32 then I suppose you might think Norv was a good OC. Having the number 1 running game in the NFC (by rushing yards only) is largely mitigated by the fact that the offense as a whole was ranked 24th.

And despite "great strides by Alex Smith" SFO finished:

29th in passing yards

25th in passing TDs

23rd in passing completion percentage

18th in INTs

The rushing offense:

6th in rushing yards

28th in rusning TDs

Now lets evaluate Gore's rushing per game in 2006:

Looks like he had a nice 3 game stretch the last 3 weeks in Novemeber but was mostly up and down.

Gore led the conference in rushing. 9 games WELL over 100 yards on the year. Hard, very hard to do better.

And Alex Smith went from one TD pass in 2005 to 16 TDs, 16 INTs in 2006. and he averaged over 250 yards a game.

How high did you expect the offense to be ranked with a young QB like that?

....i'll end this by saying, AGAIN, i don't think Norv can be judged as a HC yet. and to question him as an OC is assinine. Why else is everyone always in such a hurry to bring him in as their coordinator?

Gore led the conference in rushing. 9 games WELL over 100 yards on the year. Hard, very hard to do better.

And Alex Smith went from one TD pass in 2005 to 16 TDs, 16 INTs in 2006. and he averaged over 250 yards a game.

How high did you expect the offense to be ranked with a young QB like that?

....i'll end this by saying, AGAIN, i don't think Norv can be judged as a HC yet. and to question him as an OC is assinine. Why else is everyone always in such a hurry to bring him in as their coordinator?

4 games WELL below 100 yards on the year.

2005: 84-165, 50.9%, 1 TD, 11 INTs

2006: 257-442, 58.1%, 16 TDs, 16 INTs

QBs with more passing yards than Alex Smith in 2006:

Kitna

Roethlisberger (4th year)

Rivers (3rd year, 1st year to start)

Pennington (off a major injury)

Eli Manning (3rd year)

Grossman (4th year, 1st year to start)

Losman (3rd year)

Romo (4th year, 1st year to start, started only part of the season)

Other QBs with fewer passing yards than Alex Smith in 2006:

Matt Leinart 343 yards less (1st year, only started part of the season)

Charlie Frye 436 yards less (2nd year, part time starter)

Vince Young 691 yards less (2st year, only started part of the season)

All of the above QBs had more passing TDs than Alex Smith except Young, Leinart, and Frye all of whom did not start the whole year.

Alex Smith has a passer rating of 74.8, 22nd in the league.

Alex just wasn't all that you are making him out to be.

Finally how many times will Norv Turner have to screw up before you stop giving him a free pass? Maybe he should coach Atlanta so that you can give both Turner and Vick a free pass.

Why is everybody in such a hurry to hire Norv? Because they erroneously think he had something to do with the three SB wins in Dallas. That team in Dallas was loaded with pro-bowlers and hall of famers and possibly the best o-line in history. Your grandmother could have been the OC of that team.

Now ask yourself ... why hasn't Norv been able to hold a job?

bottom line...Turner's HCing opportunities were with crap-ass, idiot owners.

And the Spanos ownership is one other teams should model themselves after? :D

He let a GM and HC go on for years without talking to each other. He shrugs off this issue instead of getting them into a room and saying "this needs to stop".

NFL is king this day an age, but the Padres are playing in a state of the art facility downtown while the Chargers are in danger of moving if they don't get a new stadium. Obviously, they didn't do a good enough job on selling the new stadium idea.