[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raiders release Aaron Brooks

DMD

Kiffin excited about Walter Published Thu Feb 22 6:13:00 p.m. ET 2007

(Rotoworld) Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin says he's "excited" about tutoring Andrew Walter and believes he'll be a "very good quarterback."

Impact: Walter is currently atop the Raiders' depth chart. Kiffin coached pocket passers throughout his tenure at USC, but neither Matt Leinart nor John David Booty have the arm Walter does. Oakland is expected to add a veteran free agent whether or not they draft a signal caller in April.

Kiffin excited about Walter Published Thu Feb 22 6:13:00 p.m. ET 2007

(Rotoworld) Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin says he's "excited" about tutoring Andrew Walter and believes he'll be a "very good quarterback."

Impact: Walter is currently atop the Raiders' depth chart. Kiffin coached pocket passers throughout his tenure at USC, but neither Matt Leinart nor John David Booty have the arm Walter does. Oakland is expected to add a veteran free agent whether or not they draft a signal caller in April.

Wow. Very interesting decision for Kiffin. But Walter does have the talent, (as I'm sure you all remember me preaching) he just needs time to demonstrate it.

This is looking more and more like Calvin Johnson with the first pick... and Moss dealt for Schaub.

Edited by kpholmes

If Kiffin is truly excited about Walter, why would he trade for another young QB in Schaub? Doesn't make any sense to me...

That said, I could see a three way trade maybe, more than I could see a trade for Schaub by Al Davis and the Insane-o's...

Say ... OAK sends Moss & their 2nd round pick to ATL, ATL sends Schaub and their 4th round pick to CLE and CLE sends its 1st round pick to OAK?

OAK then gets Calvin Johson and ____________ ... and waits around until the third round to pick again...and possibly sign a vet like Damon Huard to backup Walter...

If Kiffin is truly excited about Walter, why would he trade for another young QB in Schaub? Doesn't make any sense to me...

Competition.

The only veterans I could see going to Oakland to mentor would be Plummer or maybe going back to Collins.

I think Schaub, Carr and Russell are the most likely 3 to end up in Oakland.

Nobody mentioned if any of the above QBs fit into Kiffin's offensive philosophy, whatever that may be.

People tend to focus on he who sucks, he who is shiny and new, but not he who fits the desired program.

The irony of it all is that USC had an offensive line that blew open big holes. Oakland's OL blew... open big holes too, just the wrong direction.

Nobody mentioned if any of the above QBs fit into Kiffin's offensive philosophy, whatever that may be.

People tend to focus on he who sucks, he who is shiny and new, but not he who fits the desired program.

The irony of it all is that USC had an offensive line that blew open big holes. Oakland's OL blew... open big holes too, just the wrong direction.

Oh yeah, there were holes all right... playing on the offensive line for the Raiders last year must have felt like standing in the middle of the road and facing traffic on the interstate...

What experience does Kiffin bring that would suggest he can turn around a team in such horrific shape?

No team-changing experience, but the guy can run an offense. And Knapp has a lot of experience as well.

Not to mention Kiffin was USC's talent scout, so he'll be able to find some good talent and bring it in; something the Raiders haven't done anytime recently.