[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Talking to your kids about drugs

whomper

My kids are 6 and 3..Yesterday my 6 year old said to my little one that Britney Spears shaved her head..Then she asked me if Britney was crazy. I was going to take that opportunity to have a small discussion about drugs but I passed. At what age did you start talking to your kids about drugs ?

in all seriousness, i have no idea. i was never given the drug talk or the birds and the bees one as well. the latter might explain a few things.....but back to the topic on hand. i guess you just try to teach them whats right and wrong and make sure the people they are hanging around with are good people too.

in all seriousness, i have no idea. i was never given the drug talk or the birds and the bees one as well. the latter might explain a few things.....but back to the topic on hand. i guess you just try to teach them whats right and wrong and make sure the people they are hanging around with are good people too.

+1 :D

never buy your own, just share

Sharing is caring! :D

I have been and always will be honest with my children. No fairytales, but also have to keep discussions at the appropriate maturity level for each one.

Honesty is always the best , IMO.

Now I don't have children so maybe my voice doesn't carry a lot of weight in the conversation, but this strikes me as only doing part of the job. I think it's important to not only give kids the right tools to make proper decisions, but to make sure that they're able to speak about these topics as well. Ignoring them doesn't help the situation and has the potential to make things a lot worse. If your kids don't think they can talk to you about a topic, they damn sure will talk to their friends about it.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying, but it just struck me as not quite right.

Now I don't have children so maybe my voice doesn't carry a lot of weight in the conversation, but this strikes me as only doing part of the job. I think it's important to not only give kids the right tools to make proper decisions, but to make sure that they're able to speak about these topics as well. Ignoring them doesn't help the situation and has the potential to make things a lot worse. If your kids don't think they can talk to you about a topic, they damn sure will talk to their friends about it.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying, but it just struck me as not quite right.

no problem.....with the good kids comment, i meant that most times drugs are experimented with or thru other people. so if youre hanging around bad people that do drugs, you are more likely to try them. the old peer pressure scenario.

My 6 year old daughter has no idea who Britney Spears is, much less what her hairstyle is these days. If your kids know the "latest" in everything (as in Britney's exploits)...then they could likely know about drugs, etc. sooner than you'd think. You should probably have that talk sooner than later IMO, but 6 may be a bit too early.

Edited by Hitman

My 6 year old daughter has no idea who Britney Spears is, much less what her hairstyle is these days. If your kids know the "latest" in everything (as in Britney's exploits)...then they could likely know about drugs, etc. sooner than you'd think. You should probably have that talk sooner than later IMO, but 6 may be a bit too early.

My 5 and 1/2 year old daughter has no idea who she is either.

My daughter saw a picture of Britney in a newspaper at my in laws house and they were talking about how she was losing it..They didnt mention drugs..She just assumed she was crazy because she knows girls arent usually bald and she looked like a psycho in the picture..

Edited by whomper

As long as they ask the questions it is our responsibility to answer them with as much tack and truth possible at the time the question is asked, no matter the age. It is when they stop asking the questions that we may have to start worrying :D

Edited by Hugh B Tool

mine are 10 and 7 and I started a couple of years ago. Just basic stuff, nothing too deep.

I also let my boys have a sip of beer and/or a sip of wine. My older son hates anything with carbonation and will not drink beer and cannot stand the taste of wine. My younger enjoys the sips he gets. I'm trying to normalize alcohol so that it's not this big taboo thing. I don't want him to get to a party and have no idea what alcohol is or how to deal with it. He has also seen me drink beer and wine on a regular basis but has never seen me drunk (neither has my wife--although she has heard me drunk on the phone). I'm hoping if I role model appropriate alcohol use, this will minimize his chance of doing something stupid. As they get older, they will also know that if they drive drunk or drive with someone who is drunk or has been drinking, they will lose their driver's license for a year (if they are 18 or older and still live under my roof, they will have the option of losing their license or moving out). Of course, they can call me for a ride, no questions asked.

I figure my boys will experiment with various drugs. I'd rather they didn't but most of us did. I want to teach them to partake in a safe manner where neither they nor anyone else are put in danger. I also want to steer them away from more hardcore drugs entirely. Ultimately, I'll do my best to teach them and hope they make good decisions.