[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fragile Fred Taylor

Shorttynaz

Jags RB Taylor signs three-year extension

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Fred Taylor

Running Back

Jacksonville Jaguars

2006 SEASON STATISTICS

Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD

231 1146 5 23 242 1

Tailback Fred Taylor on Thursday signed a three-year contract extension that will essentially double his compensation for the 2007 season and all but guarantees the Jacksonville Jaguars' star will finish his career with the team that brought him to the NFL in 1998.

The extension, which runs through the 2010 season, has been the subject of recent offseason discussion between Jacksonville officials and agent Drew Rosenhaus. Taylor was under contract for the 2007 campaign, so the extension essentially creates a four-year deal which is worth $23 million.

"If I stay healthy, I'll be able to finish my career with the Jaguars, which is a pretty big thing for me," Taylor said on Thursday afternoon. "That would mean a lot."

Under his previous contract, Taylor was to have earned a base salary of $2.55 million for 2007. The new deal reduces his base salary to $800,000 but also rewards Taylor with a $4.2 million roster bonus, bringing his total compensation for 2007 to $5 million.

For the 2008-2010 seasons, Taylor is due annual spring roster bonuses of $1 million each. The base salaries for those years, which represent the extension part of the contract, are $4 million for 2008, $5 million for 2009 and $6 million for 2010.

It's likely that Jacksonville officials will closely examine Taylor's production each season before determining whether to pay the roster bonuses and retain him. But even for the short-term, the new deal represents a significant gain, since it doubles Taylor's pay for 2007.

Taylor, 31, has been seeking a contract that would pay him an average of $5 million per year, but Jaguars officials had consistently balked, and pointed out that the nine-year veteran has never been to a Pro Bowl game. The extension consummated on Thursday appeared to address the needs of both sides.

The team's first-round choice in the 1998 draft, Taylor has rushed for 1,000 yards in six different seasons, including 2006, when he carried 231 times for 1,146 yards and five scores. His workhorse role was reduced last season with the addition of second-round pick Maurice Jones-Drew, and the pair comprised one of the NFL's premier tailback tandems.

For his career, Taylor has carried 2,062 times for 9,513 yards and 56 touchdowns. He also has 261 receptions for 2,205 yards and eight touchdowns. The former University of Florida standout has appeared in 112 games and started in 108 of them.

The extension, which runs through the 2010 season, has been the subject of recent offseason discussion between Jacksonville officials and agent Drew Rosenhaus . Taylor was under contract for the 2007 campaign, so the extension essentially creates a four-year deal which is worth $23 million.

That's why players like him. :D

"If I stay healthy, I'll be able to finish my career with the Jaguars, which is a pretty big thing for me," Taylor said

They'd better hope so. I don't know why they'd sign an aging vet with a significant injury history to that kind of a deal. At least his signing bonus was only $4.2 million. Sounds like they don't have much confidence in Jones-Drew's ability to carry the load.

At least his signing bonus was only $4.2 million.

Looks like it was a ROSTER bonus, and not a SIGING bonus, thus it is all paid this year and hits this year, as opposed to a signing bonus that can be spread out across the course of the contract (and accelerated if the player is cut or traded)

Looks like it was a ROSTER bonus, and not a SIGING bonus, thus it is all paid this year and hits this year, as opposed to a signing bonus that can be spread out across the course of the contract (and accelerated if the player is cut or traded)

yeah, the way this contract is set up it's basically this year at $5 million. i would say he most likely gets cut next offseason, unless the jags REALLY like his play this year.

yeah, the way this contract is set up it's basically this year at $5 million. i would say he most likely gets cut next offseason, unless the jags REALLY like his play this year.

I agree. Even if he got that $4.2 million as a signing bonus rather than a roster bonus, the cap hit to dump Taylor next season would've been minimal.

I agree. Even if he got that $4.2 million as a signing bonus rather than a roster bonus, the cap hit to dump Taylor next season would've been minimal.

Yup, but, this way, it looks like a virtually $0 cap hit to dump him any time after this season. He produces this year, he gets one more year at $5 mill (4mill base plus 1 mill roster bonus), then same option each of next two years with $1Mill raises each year.

I could see this being essentially a one year deal.

They'd better hope so. I don't know why they'd sign an aging vet with a significant injury history to that kind of a deal. At least his signing bonus was only $4.2 million. Sounds like they don't have much confidence in Jones-Drew's ability to carry the load.

I think the results last season speak for themselves. The rushing game that is. Having MJD around seems to keep Freddie fresh and relatively uninjured. I think we'll start seeing more and more teams employing this dual RB scheme. As much as it sucks for FF owners.

As for the Jags, I thinks they're going to give it their all this season. DelRio will be sh*tcanned if they fail to make the playoffs, that's why IMO he had no choice but to announce Lefty as his starter. Why go the rookie route if your job hinges on making the playoffs? The time is NOW. They have a decent if not fantastic defense. Just need playmakers at WR which is why I think you'll see a free agent in the fold at that position soon. As much as I've stood pat on not thinking they'll go WR in the draft, I'm not so sure now. If the defense stays healthy and the passing game improves, there is no reason to think that the Jags won't make the playoffs in 2007.

I think the results last season speak for themselves. The rushing game that is. Having MJD around seems to keep Freddie fresh and relatively uninjured. I think we'll start seeing more and more teams employing this dual RB scheme. As much as it sucks for FF owners.

As for the Jags, I thinks they're going to give it their all this season. DelRio will be sh*tcanned if they fail to make the playoffs, that's why IMO he had no choice but to announce Lefty as his starter. Why go the rookie route if your job hinges on making the playoffs? The time is NOW. They have a decent if not fantastic defense. Just need playmakers at WR which is why I think you'll see a free agent in the fold at that position soon. As much as I've stood pat on not thinking they'll go WR in the draft, I'm not so sure now. If the defense stays healthy and the passing game improves, there is no reason to think that the Jags won't make the playoffs in 2007.

Oh, and I don't see why they won't pay Brady the lousy 2 mil he wants. He is one of the best blocking TEs in the league and with Lefty back at the helm it would be suicide to cut ties with him.

I don't know why they'd sign an aging vet with a significant injury history to that kind of a deal.

2002 16 starts 1300 yards

2003 16 Starts 1572 tards

2004 14 starts 1224 yards

2005 11 starts 787 yards

2006 15 starts 1146 yards

How many teams get to have that kind of production?

2002 16 starts 1300 yards

2003 16 Starts 1572 tards

2004 14 starts 1224 yards

2005 11 starts 787 yards

2006 15 starts 1146 yards

How many teams get to have that kind of production?

You're right. GMs should give new contracts to aging RBs with tons of wear on their tires based on what they've done in the past, rather than what they'll do in the future.

I don't think that this deal is terrible for JAX or anything, especially considering that they can dump Taylor after this season. But it WILL cost them about $5 million for his services in '07. I can't say I agree with their decision after MJD's break-out season.

Edited by Bill Swerski

You're right. GMs should give new contracts to aging RBs with tons of wear on their tires based on what they've done in the past, rather than what they'll do in the future.

Not to doubt your reasoning, but if Freddie was THE guy in Jax, I could see a different story here. The fact that MJD showed up last year and it seemed to invigorate the whole rushing game sings a whole different tune. Yes, they're gambling in investing that kind of money, but at 31 he's not over the hill just yet. I like the way they didn't prorate his signing bonus. That way if Fred doesn't pan out this year, they can always sever ties next year and it won't cost them much. I applaud the Jags decision. Especially if it means another 300+ rushing yards against the Superbowl Champs. :D

Not to doubt your reasoning, but if Freddie was THE guy in Jax, I could see a different story here. The fact that MJD showed up last year and it seemed to invigorate the whole rushing game sings a whole different tune. Yes, they're gambling in investing that kind of money, but at 31 he's not over the hill just yet. I like the way they didn't prorate his signing bonus. That way if Fred doesn't pan out this year, they can always sever ties next year and it won't cost them much. I applaud the Jags decision. Especially if it means another 300+ rushing yards against the Superbowl Champs. :D

Hey, that was 375 yds! Get it right, buddy! :D

If it were me, I would've cut ties with Fragile Freddie and gone after somebody like Rhodes (who would cost about $2-$3 million/year less and given them more productive years). I'm assuming that they plan to use MJD in a RBBC offense. But that's JMO. Like I said, not a bad decision by JAX, but still a surprising one to me.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I can't say I agree with their decision

Freddy is a hard worker, he knows the system, he is a veteran, they need guys like him on the team with so much n00bieness in the young guys they have on offense... the fact he can still pound the ball right through a defense is icing on the cake.

I for one love the fact he and MJD split carries, let them each do what they do best.