[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

REM

gilthorp

Without a doubt, one of my favorite bands as I was going through college and beyond, and I thought they severely took a hit when Bill Berry left the band about 10 years ago. I really gave up on them as of late, but I'm excited about seeing them get inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame.

When they take the stage tonight, Berry will be playing drums and that is something for all us fans to see as he's only been on stage with them a handful of times since his departure.

I hope they play some old stuff tonight and I guess it will be live on VH-1 Classic.

I know they still like playing "Losing My Religion"...so I'm sure that will be there.

I'm hoping for a little "Don't Go Back To Rockville" or maybe "Gardening At Night", but I know that's asking for too much.

Probably will play "Man On The Moon".

Now, what most people don't know is that Bill Berry wrote and composed "Driver 8" and that would be cool to hear that...or maybe even "Auctioneer".

So, which LP would you take if you were going to the desert island, Murmur or Reckoning?

This may be like picking Garage Days as my favorite Metallica album but when I converted from cassette to CD I went with Fables of the Reconstruction first but it also had Chronic Town on it. Probably Reckoning if I had to.

I'm trying to download mediaplayer 11.whatever here by dial-up. :D

Chronic Town was coupled with their Dead Letter Office disc...the one with the Lou Reed covers and Toys in the Attic

That EP was what got me hooked in the first place...when it first came out.

First time I heard Wolves, Lower I was a junkie...and the last time I saw REM live they closed with Toys In the Attic. :D

I've seen them several times, most recently a couple of years ago. Always a great live band.

They were much, much better live back in the mid/late '80s.

Everything from Life's Rich Pageant through Automatic is very good. They really started to fall apart in the late '90s when they tried to be the next Radiohead, though. Their association with the MoveOn.org crowd at that time was a turn-off as well.

Great to hear they're getting into the R&R HOF. Not that their was ever any doubt, but they really deserve it.

Chronic Town was coupled with their Dead Letter Office disc...the one with the Lou Reed covers and Toys in the Attic

:D

I'll bet you are right I thought it was with Fables. I'd definitely take that if I could only take 1 since it's actually 2.

42 minutes and 30 seconds left and I'll have my updated MP

Their last few records have been mostly boring, but the IRS catalog is probably the finest stuff recorded by Americans during the 1980s.

Automatic for the People is their artistic highlight, however.

I've seen them several times, most recently a couple of years ago. Always a great live band.

Best song: It's the End of the Word As We Know It.

Love the way they play it live. And it still rings true today.

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine"

One of the best lines in r&r history. I can listen to that tune over and over

1983 Murmur IRS - one of the best rock albums EVAH, IMO

1984 Reckoning IRS - just as good, really

1985 Fables of the Reconstruction IRS - still just as good as it gets

1986 Lifes Rich Pageant IRS - maybe not a total homerun like the first three, but a few of my favorite songs (like flowers of guatemala)

1987 Document IRS - a slight step down, more commercial, but still rockin

1987 Dead Letter Office - great stuff for the real REM fan...awesome covers and their first EP

1988 Green Warner Bros. - not great, but not bad either

1991 Out of Time Warner Bros. - total f*cking dreck. easily their worst album, IMO

1992 Automatic for the People Warner Bros. - not my favorite, but still really good, and the most hardcore REM fans usually call it their fave

1994 Monster Warner Bros. - totally different vibe for them, but i actually really liked this one, despite being panned by most critics

1996 New Adventures in Hi-Fi Warner Bros. - maybe their most underrated album. excellent stuff

1998 Up Warner Bros. i like this one as well. another one with a different vibe that turns a lot of people off, but i think it works

2001 Reveal Warner Bros. yuck.

2004 Around the Sun Warner Bros.- heard it once. not memorable at all.

1983 Murmur IRS - one of the best rock albums EVAH, IMO

1984 Reckoning IRS - just as good, really

1985 Fables of the Reconstruction IRS - still just as good as it gets

1986 Lifes Rich Pageant IRS - maybe not a total homerun like the first three, but a few of my favorite songs (like flowers of guatemala)

1987 Document IRS - a slight step down, more commercial, but still rockin

1987 Dead Letter Office - great stuff for the real REM fan...awesome covers and their first EP

1988 Green Warner Bros. - not great, but not bad either

1991 Out of Time Warner Bros. - total f*cking dreck. easily their worst album, IMO

1992 Automatic for the People Warner Bros. - not my favorite, but still really good, and the most hardcore REM fans usually call it their fave

1994 Monster Warner Bros. - totally different vibe for them, but i actually really liked this one, despite being panned by most critics

1996 New Adventures in Hi-Fi Warner Bros. - maybe their most underrated album. excellent stuff

1998 Up Warner Bros. i like this one as well. another one with a different vibe that turns a lot of people off, but i think it works

2001 Reveal Warner Bros. yuck.

2004 Around the Sun Warner Bros.- heard it once. not memorable at all.

DO you count HLG as even a side project?