[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maroney has shoulder surgery

tonyr0802

Sounds like Maroney played with some fairly serious damage to his shoulder last year. Maybe they should've kept Dillon just a little bit longer :D

RB’s shoulder a burden: ‘Significant damage’ to Maroney’s joint

By John Tomase

Boston Herald Sports Writer

Monday, March 26, 2007 - Updated: 01:38 AM EST

PHOENIX - Patriots [team stats] running back Laurence Maroney [stats] had offseason shoulder surgery that revealed “fairly significant damage,” according to a league source, though the long-term impact is unclear.

Maroney felt shoulder pain down the stretch and in the playoffs that limited his ability to absorb contact. He underwent exploratory surgery that revealed more damage than anticipated, and corrective surgery was performed.

The exact nature of his injury is unclear, though it was enough to land Maroney in a sling. Team spokesman Stacey James could not confirm last night if Maroney is taking part in the team’s offseason conditioning program.

The surgery is just the latest physical setback for the running back, who also suffered torn rib cartilage and a minor knee sprain during the season. With veteran Corey Dillon [stats] cut at the start of free agency, Maroney will enter the season as the lead back.

He didn’t appear completely healthy in the playoffs. After averaging 4.3 yards per carry during the season, Maroney gained just 87 yards on 31 carries in the postseason (2.8). He carried 13 times for 18 yards in playoff games vs. San Diego and Indianapolis, fumbling in the red zone against the Chargers after coughing the ball up just once in 175 carries during the season.

A hard-nosed runner out of Minnesota, the 5-foot-11, 220-pounder appealed to the Patriots because of the way he combined speed with toughness. In college, Maroney was well schooled in the Walter Payton drill, a gauntlet created by the Gophers coaching staff that taught runners to lower their shoulder and gain extra yards rather than step out of bounds.

Maroney exhibited such fearlessness during the season, but his health was occasionally an issue.

He hurt his knee in the next-to-last exhibition game and sat out the exhibition finale. He was ready to go for the season, however, and recorded his only 100-yard game in Week 4 against the Bengals.

Maroney remained healthy until Week 13 against the Lions, when he was injured in the first quarter of a 28-21 victory. He tore rib cartilage while absorbing a jarring hit from safety Terrence Holt.

He missed the next two games, but returned to rush 20 times for 121 yards in the final two games of the regular season, scoring two touchdowns. He rushed 175 times for 745 yards in the regular season.

Link

I just find it utterly amazing that the Pats have kept this under wraps this long, he had off season surgery. would like to know when for one, yet they still let Dillon go.

pats and broncos, to name a few, are the reasons that FF is not as much fun these days IMO.

I just find it utterly amazing that the Pats have kept this under wraps this long

I find it utterly predictable that they would keep this under wraps so long... hence the push for new injury disclosure rules this off-season. Belichick's pratices will change the league.

I find it utterly predictable that they would keep this under wraps so long... hence the push for new injury disclosure rules this off-season. Belichick's pratices will change the league.

All I can say is this really screws me from my way of thinking. I have him on my DTS and was planning on bringing him up to help me to the big dance. Now I am curious since they released this. Is it a lot worse than being said now. That makes too rookies from last yr draft class to have serious injuries with Chad Jackson.

Buy low!

Find a Maroney owner who is really bummed by this news & trade for the guy. Didn't Gore have surgery on both shoulders - man, did that ever send his career in the crapper, huh?

There's no one else to carry the ball in NE. Unless he's completely disabled, he's the guy getting the ball, and when Dillon was the featured RB he put up very good numbers.

I just find it utterly amazing that the Pats have kept this under wraps this long, he had off season surgery. would like to know when for one, yet they still let Dillon go.

pats and broncos, to name a few, are the reasons that FF is not as much fun these days IMO.

You do? :D That's pretty funny. I thought you were serious at first. \

These are reasons I don't draft any Pats players except for Brady.

Maroney had the rib cartilidge problem too last year. Not too sure that this coupled with the shoulder injury shows much promise when you project the beating he will take when he is the full time runner.

He got banged up a couple times in college as well. I'm not sure that Maroney will be a featured back for long, as it looks like he might not be able to take the pountding of a 300+ carry season.

Dillon turns 33 in October, costs a lot of money, and had his own recent injury issues as well... oh, and he ASKED to be released because he was on the verge of retirement. Can't really blame the Pats for not begging him to stay.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Just needs Bruski to lay his hands on him and smite the evil spirits, and he'll be fine

If you are going to invoke the name of the Holy One, please make sure to spell Bruschi correctly.

Be thankful that I just saved you from a probable eternity in Hell.