[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dana White vs. Tito Ortiz?

Moneyshot

Well, give me a reach around and color me ghey, cause I love watching fights!

+1

And I'm not sure what this fight is all about. I was wondering myself.

On a side note, I can't believe Serra beat St Pierre.

Looks like you were onto something...

Ortiz vs. White result

Is that Tito Ortiz no-showed the weigh-in and the fight never happened.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission was not happy with this turn of events as they had officials there. Dana White was there and got weighed-in. There was no communication from Ortiz as to why he wasn't there. Ortiz did call White and leave him a messages saying that he was letting him off the hook, but White didn't think that message meant he was cancelling the match.

Spike TV was scheduled to air a 90 minute television special building up the PPV of the fight.

:D awfully WWE sounding...

Call Colin, he'll know everything about this turn of events...

Edited by alexgaddis

Looks like you were onto something...

:D awfully WWE sounding...

The UFC is becoming more like "professional " wrestling with each event. Gay nicknames. Theme songs. Light shows. Mandatory trash talk.

I hope that it doesn't start to effect what happens in the ring.

The UFC is becoming more like "professional " wrestling with each event. Gay nicknames. Theme songs. Light shows. Mandatory trash talk.

Because the UFC is all about business and making money, I'm not surprised to see these changes. I am pretty sure the whole Dana White vs. Tito Ortiz was a rumor because I haven't been able to find anything legit that says it was going to actually happen. In either case, I don't think this new 'image' the UFC has taken on will effect what goes on inside the octagon. The fighters are still some of the best in the world, and most recently the UFC-PrideFC merger just upped the talent level even more.

The UFC obviously isn't what it was back in the early 90's (when it had limited rules), however, there definitely isn't a lack of talent and 'fight' inside of the octagon. :D

Because the UFC is all about business and making money, I'm not surprised to see these changes. I am pretty sure the whole Dana White vs. Tito Ortiz was a rumor because I haven't been able to find anything legit that says it was going to actually happen. In either case, I don't think this new 'image' the UFC has taken on will effect what goes on inside the octagon. The fighters are still some of the best in the world, and most recently the UFC-PrideFC merger just upped the talent level even more.

The UFC obviously isn't what it was back in the early 90's (when it had limited rules), however, there definitely isn't a lack of talent and 'fight' inside of the octagon. :D

The fight with Dana was going to be a boxing match. Dana had promised this to Tito the last time Tito re-upped his contract with the UFC. The closer it got to the fight there were different stories coming from both sides about the fight and why it wasn't going to happen. Below is a posting from Tito's myspace page he posted March 27.

More news!!

I just got off the phone with The Scott Ferrall show( Sirius radio). He said the fight with Dana was going to be for charity! That is the first time that has ever been brought to my attention that this fight was in any way shape or form going to be viewed by the public, or any proceeds made and given to a charity house. All of my fans know that I spend a huge amount of my time dedicated to charities. I help under priveleged childred, do bi-annual blood drives and many many other things that come from my heart. This wasn't about charity. This is obviously about Dana White trying to save face. He did not want this fight to be viewed by you ( the public) for fear of being punked. I came up with the idea to box Dana, and he agreed wholeheartedly. and dealpoints were discussed. We came to the conclusion that the training would be filmed and shown on Spike TV and the fight would be aired for PPV on UFC's website and punishment.com. He then , a week before... pulled the plug, without an explaination. Well, to me THAT is punking out. And now he has the balls to try to lie and say it was initially for charity? That is LOW, VERY LOW.

I have been getting paid for fighting the last 10 years. Im not going to start fighting for free now. But I will box Dana's head for free if it goes to charity. Im trying to fight for what I believe in and I get held down on a consistent basis by Dana. Jealousy? I don't know. But it isn't right. I feel sorry for all the fighters that get taken advantage of, but I will not be that guy. I have gotten quite a few very negative comments by people here on my site, and it bothers me since I really go out of my way to do the right thing, not only for me, but for my family. This is not a hobby for me, it"s my Career! PERIOD! If I don't look out for myself no one will. Love me or Hate me, I will still be fighting, kicking ass and taking names. I've been doing it for the last ten years.. and I will continue to dominate and be the best man I can be.

Tito Ortiz

One of the refreshing elements of MMA is the mutual respect and overall class displayed by the majority of fighters. I am seeing increased trash talk as well. I hope someone reminds the fighters why this sport is different than boxing before it loses its appeal.

I started watching the 90 min Spike special last night then got tired. I DVR'd the rest. Will report back after watching it.

I watched the whole 90 minute special last night.

From the show, it appeared that the Nevada Athletic Commission got involved (not sure if that was the eventual out White was looking for) but they gave him a license, and went for the weigh in, and Ortiz didn't show up.

Also, it sounds like it's not going to happen at all because of this.

• 4 weeks later...

It was legit... the NSAC sanctioned it and sent officials to the weigh-in Anybody who suggested it is WWE-esque is wrong. This is just an example of Tito Ortiz acting like the punk he is. Nothing more, nothing less.

It was legit... the NSAC sanctioned it and sent officials to the weigh-in Anybody who suggested it is WWE-esque is wrong. This is just an example of Tito Ortiz acting like the punk he is. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was fighting 10 years ago, long before it hit the more mainstream. I do see a lot of differences now and I have to agree that there are certain aspects of UFC and Pride that are definitely becoming more WWE like. However, the sport of MMA is in a great place. The IFL is a huge step in the right direction. We're getting to see a lot of guys coming up, trained by great coaches. This group of fighters may be the most respectful group I have ever seen. 10 years ago, we were focusing on muay thai clinches, kicks, knees, elbows and after Royce, BJJ. Now we're seeing the younger fighters take a lot more chances. They get caught sometimes but its exciting to watch a lot of them.

By the way, using the NSAC as a validation of legitimacy is kinda funny.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

I was fighting 10 years ago, long before it hit the more mainstream. I do see a lot of differences now and I have to agree that there are certain aspects of UFC and Pride that are definitely becoming more WWE like. However, the sport of MMA is in a great place. The IFL is a huge step in the right direction. We're getting to see a lot of guys coming up, trained by great coaches. This group of fighters may be the most respectful group I have ever seen. 10 years ago, we were focusing on muay thai clinches, kicks, knees, elbows and after Royce, BJJ. Now we're seeing the younger fighters take a lot more chances. They get caught sometimes but its exciting to watch a lot of them.

By the way, using the NSAC as a validation of legitimacy is kinda funny.

I gotta disagree with that. Their first Battleground show was a travesty to MMA. There was way too much focus on the blood and gore aspect. Any show that glorifies potentially dangerous knockouts is not cool in my book. It's bad for business too. That kind of marketing almost killed MMA in America before the Fertitas took over UFC.

I was a fan before Royce vs. Saku... which is, in my opinion, when MMA started it's mainstream run. I have also been training ever since Royce vs. Saku. Man... thinking back to that fight... I can't wait for the rematch. I really hope Kazushi gets cleared.