[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jason Whitlock Weighs in on Imus

spain

dayum. pwn3d, bigtime. but i guess i probably only think so because i'm white, eh puddy? :D

Hey, I just made an observation. I, for one, agree with Whitlock's premise too. I'd like to hear from some blacks if they do too. Like I said, the one black guy that I forwarded it too didn't respond to me at all :D

Why aren't there more (any) blacks here at the Huddle to chime in. Maybe if I email Sharpton about this, he can call for a boycott of Huddle advertisers :tup:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can create the appearance of putting up a fight, and that ensures no one else will enter the ring.

As an example, talk with black race-car drivers about their feelings about NASCAR’s dealings with Jesse Jackson. I have. Their belief is, if you sponsor the right and enough Rainbow Coalition events, you can avoid Jesse ever bringing his circus and negative spotlight to your organization.

A friend of mine was in the upper ranks of Pepsi/Frito Lay. On numerous occassions Jesse or Al would call him up and say, "Send that jet over here to get us, we need to have a meeting about race relations with your company."

They would be forced to send their jet and get one of these bozos and they would have this "meeting" and then Al or Jesse would have Pepsi's jet take them someplace else, not where they got them. Using corporations for travel and using the race card to do it. He has really strong feelings about these two. Like was said in this article throw enough money at them and they go away.

i would think we would hear outrage from black women's groups over both imus and rap music. are there any black organizations on record as actively opposing the negative messages in hip hop and with any kind of action underway to clean it up?

are there any black organizations on record as actively opposing the negative messages in hip hop and with any kind of action underway to clean it up?

:D

is that laughing at the absurdity of the question or laughing because there are so many that i should have heard of some?

are there any white rappers (besides puddy) that are using the same deragatory language in their music?

The former part of the first question.

As to the second question, Eminem is the most prominent white rapper and he's not exactly a beacon of pro-feminism.

A friend of mine was in the upper ranks of Pepsi/Frito Lay. On numerous occassions Jesse or Al would call him up and say, "Send that jet over here to get us, we need to have a meeting about race relations with your company."

They would be forced to send their jet and get one of these bozos and they would have this "meeting" and then Al or Jesse would have Pepsi's jet take them someplace else, not where they got them. Using corporations for travel and using the race card to do it. He has really strong feelings about these two. Like was said in this article throw enough money at them and they go away.

Those poor poor corporate honchos being kowtowed by the big bad black ministers and their threats of boycotts.

Puh-leeze. I know there is a "corporate relations" aspect to this stuff, but I refuse to believe that corporate america cowers to the weilding power of Jesse/Al. If so, I'm in the wrong line of work.

Those poor poor corporate honchos being kowtowed by the big bad black ministers and their threats of boycotts.

Puh-leeze. I know there is a "corporate relations" aspect to this stuff, but I refuse to believe that corporate america cowers to the weilding power of Jesse/Al. If so, I'm in the wrong line of work.

It's the power of advertisers they cower to.

So their ability to get Imus fired, who brings in 20 Million dollars a year to CBS doesn't show their power. Had they stayed out of this situation, Imus would have apologized to the team as he did, gotten fined by CBS and sitll had a job. Now that they came charging in waving their flags everything has been blown way out of proportion. So my point is wouldn't you rather spend a few hundred thousand keeping the happy than to have them go on CNN, MSNBC, Fox, and the nightly news with some problem they have with you. This to me says they use their power for their benefit not the benefit of the people they are supposed to be representing.

advertisers hate controversy. and of course stirring up chit is the speciality of al and jesse. the media, for some reason, is always ready to give these guys a soapbox. so yeah, their threats unfortuntely carry a lot of weight.

So their ability to get Imus fired, who brings in 20 Million dollars a year to CBS doesn't show their power. Had they stayed out of this situation, Imus would have apologized to the team as he did, gotten fined by CBS and sitll had a job. Now that they came charging in waving their flags everything has been blown way out of proportion. So my point is wouldn't you rather spend a few hundred thousand keeping the happy than to have them go on CNN, MSNBC, Fox, and the nightly news with some problem they have with you. This to me says they use their power for their benefit not the benefit of the people they are supposed to be representing.

The director of the CBS board is the former head of the NAACP. Prominent minority and female employees of NBC News asked for Imus to be fired. Imus re-upped a deal with CBS recently that many had questioned given his $10million/year salary for only $15 million/year revenue. And MSNBC was aiming towards an AM programming makeover upon the network's move from it's present broadcast location to the NBC 30 Rock HQ in Manhattan in the next few months.

I'm not saying that Jesse/Al didn't have something to do with this, but I think you're giving them way too much credit just because they're the ones that are hogging the cameras.

GTS: If you think corporate America isnt afraid of the racial terrorists, go read "Shakedown: Exposing the Real Jesse Jackson". Coporate Execs will do anything to avoid a racial p.r. nightmare.

GTS: If you think corporate America isnt afraid of the racial terrorists, go read "Shakedown: Exposing the Real Jesse Jackson". Coporate Execs will do anything to avoid a racial p.r. nightmare.

GTS needs to spend some time in Chicago and New York to see what Jesse and Al do locally.

Well obviously corporate execs have to make a decision on how much of their demographic is effected by whatever actions they take. Are they being forced to fold to this pressure or is it also a voluntary action driven by a business model to maximize profit? Again, I don't think anyone is saying that the Sharpton and Jackson don't hold any influence on this. But, if it was at the level that some of you guys are trying to insinuate, why is there a ton of coporate sponsorship $$$ vested into many of the right wing squawking radio heads who often walk the racially insenstive line just like Imus did?

Quick question for you... are all white people considered Crackers, or are there other criteria that I'm not familiar with? I'm just wondering if in fact I am a Cracker.

Same question regarding Gringos.

TIA! :D

I can almost understand CBS' actions in this case, even though I hate it - once the advertisers started fleeing from Imus' show, it really became as much as anything a dollars-and-cents decision for CBS. I guess there's even an argument that as a public company they had to fire him at that point in order to best preserve their stockholders' interests.

It's the advertisers' decisions to pull advertising from Imus' show that is at the root of his firing, IMO - and one of the primary reasons they pulled their advertising was because Jackson and Sharpton threatened to boycott the products of anyone who continued to advertise on Imus' show (as well as organize protest events outside the corporate headquarters of prominent advertisers). I don't see how anyone could look at this situation and not conclude that Sharpton and Jackson have a tremendous amount of clout - and if that doesn't simultaneously confuse and frighten you, it probably should.

Incidents like this and the anecdote above about Jackson hijacking the Pepsi plane for his personal use lead me to believe that Whitlock's characterization of Sharpton and Jackson as terrorists is spot on.

And I too am curious to see Oprah's take on this. I'd be surprised if she had the courage to stand up to Sharpton and Jackson, but she has a strong voice herself in the African-American community, I'd love to be surprised on this one.

Edited by Easy n Dirty

Quick question for you... are all white people considered Crackers, or are there other criteria that I'm not familiar with? I'm just wondering if in fact I am a Cracker.

Same question regarding Gringos.

TIA! :D

If it's a derogotary term for white people, I'm betting you fit the bill. :D

Whitlock's characterization of Sharpton and Jackson as terrorists is spot on.

Let's not bandy that word around too much and make sure it's used where it's really appropriate. Jackson and Sharpton are extortionists, not terrorists.

Let's not bandy that word around too much and make sure it's used where it's really appropriate. Jackson and Sharpton are extortionists, not terrorists.

Fair enough - extortionism seems to be a terrorist tactic to me, but if you wanna' split hairs knock yourself out.