[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kid Cid and all huddle guitarists

whomper

My mother in law called me today from a yard sale and said this older gentleman was selling a guitar and asked if I was interested. I got on the phone with him and he said it was a Kent from the 60s. He believes it was made between 62-65. Its probably 42-45 years old. I got it for 130 bucks . What do you think ?

Here

it

is

It plays pretty nice and the tremolo bar didnt knock it out of tune which surprised me.

I'm not an expert, but it's my understanding (as Atomic pointed out) Kent was a cheap Les Paul/Epiphone knockoff brand from the early 60s. One cool thing (to me) is that it was a Hagstrom guitar line marketed in the USA (I loved my Hagstrom back in the day!).

Found this on ebay. Notice the similarities. Yours looks a little more worn than the Hag, but I couldn't help but do a doubletake on the photos.

I'm not an expert, but it's my understanding (as Atomic pointed out) Kent was a cheap Les Paul/Epiphone knockoff brand from the early 60s. One cool thing (to me) is that it was a Hagstrom guitar line marketed in the USA (I loved my Hagstrom back in the day!).

Found this on ebay. Notice the similarities. Yours looks a little more worn than the Hag, but I couldn't help but do a doubletake on the photos.

Now that's a bitchin' piece...

Whomper - looks like a sweet deal. I used to have a Gibson ES 335 which is a semi-hollow body like your new Kent (Unfortunately I had to sell my 335 back in 2000 because of my divorce :D ).

Going back to your Kent - though marketed as a low-end model back in the early 60s, it's my understanding that low-end back then is much much better quality and craftsmanship than low-end today. Even though your new Kent is the same semi-hollow body style as the Gibson 335, your Kent actually looks like it was modeled more after the Martin F-65, which is another semi-hollow body but made by Martin who has made very few electrics over the years. That Martin also happens to be the electric guitar I currently crave, I have been watching a few on ebay!! Anyways, I love the hollow/semi-hollow bodied electrics, I've never been too much a fan of the solid bodied electrics (les paul, strat, telecaster).

So, enjoy her, play her hard....... or soft and enjoy a steal of a deal!!

brent

Edited by Brentastic

After further research - according to one harmony central reviewer, a smashed Kent guitar owned by Pete Townshend hangs as memorabelia at a "Hard Rock Cafe". That's kinda cool - Pete, even though he smashed them, must have liked the tone of the Kent to have played it live - I'd say that's another :D

Great find IMO.

E2A: Yet further information on Kents - There was no Kent guitar company, Kent was a distribution brand for the USA and was manufactured by a company called Hagstrom. Hagstrom was an accordian manufacturer before delving into guitars around 1958. My research also tells me that Hagstrom was known for excellent quality and craftsmanship, their instruments were hand made, which is a must for high quality instruments and rare for most high-end guitars made today! However, not all Kent guitars were made by Hagstrom, some Kents were made by less credible companies but everything I've read tells me that the non-Hagstrom made Kents were acoustic and solid-bodied electrics - your Kent is a semi-hollow body which means there is a good chance it was made by the skilled Hagstrom craftsmen.

Again, the more I read the more it appears you really got yourself a hell of a guitar for a hell of a deal! Congrats and enjoy. :D

Another E2A: It appears that David Bowie also played a Hagstrom made Kent :tup:

Edited by Brentastic

After further research - according to one harmony central reviewer, a smashed Kent guitar owned by Pete Townshend hangs as memorabelia at a "Hard Rock Cafe". That's kinda cool - Pete, even though he smashed them, must have liked the tone of the Kent to have played it live - I'd say that's another :tup:

Great find IMO.

E2A: Yet further information on Kents - There was no Kent guitar company, Kent was a distribution brand for the USA and was manufactured by a company called Hagstrom. Hagstrom was an accordian manufacturer before delving into guitars around 1958. My research also tells me that Hagstrom was known for excellent quality and craftsmanship, their instruments were hand made, which is a must for high quality instruments and rare for most high-end guitars made today! However, not all Kent guitars were made by Hagstrom, some were made by two other companies but everything I've read tells me that the non-Hagstrom made Kents were acoustic and solid-bodied electrics - your Kent is a semi-hollow body which means there is a good chance it was made by the skilled Hagstrom craftsmen.

Again, the more I read the more it appears you really got yourself a hell of a guitar for a hell of a deal! Congrats and enjoy. :D

Good info, and the fact it's made by an accordion builder is all the better for our resident Paisan. :D

Thanks for all the info guys..Much appreciated :D

Part of what I liked about this is it was the original owner too..Im actually surprised he sold it. It does play real nice actually. Im gonna bring it to the local shop for a little tune up.

Edited by whomper

Kent guitars were manufactured by Guyatone, a Japanese company until 1967 when they were then made by Kawai. These guitars were imported into the United States under the Kent name by Buegeleisen & Jacobson, a New York based musical instrument wholesaler.

If you look at the pics in this page (Hagstrom) you will see all the Hagstrom guitars that were imported under the Kent label. They also have pics here (Kent NOT from Hagstrom) of a Kent 822 semi-acoustic that looks remarkably like yours. This was most likely from Guyatone.

There's a some confusing information out there because I've also seen that some early Kent guitars were manyfactured by Tiesco, not Guayatone. These made up the Kent Standard series of guitars. I don't believe you have one of those.

There doesn't seem to be a terrible amount of info on these guitars other than they were a way for Japanese manufacturers to break into the American markets. One thing that can be said is that they range in quality from cheap to surprisingly good. I'd say that given the condition you got yourself a pretty good deal there. Although it probably isn't worth more than $300 total. Still, that's a very cool find.

I'd say so considering what you have said is basically opposite of what I found :D

Still a good find regardless :D

Agreed, I would have snapped it up for that price as well. It does look like it's in excellent condition.