[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Einstein, Bees, and the end of civilization

wiegie

Albert Einstein once said, "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man."

Now, go google "Colony Collapse Disorder".

For extra credit, go read Cormac McCarthy's book The Road.

Sleep well.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm a weather follower, the "when you can no longer tell the seasons" dread..but so far this year.

Earliest 100 degree day ever at Death Valley.....near blizzard in the Northeast at the same time.

Another Tusnami.

My back yard weather....set record highs late March/ early April.....week later set the lowest temp in April..hard freeze that zapped the grass around here in coastal NC.

Some funky stuff going down right now

Middle East/ Korea

Funky Weather

...and now the Bee's

Say what you will, but the signs are abundant and all around us..we are in the End Times. It may take centuries still.....but it has begun.

Say what you will, but the signs are abundant and all around us..we are in the End Times. It may take centuries still.....but it has begun.

I don't think we are in "End Times" at all, unless it's nuclear conflagration, but signs are all around for sure - nature is trying to tell us something.

Good luck with getting the message through to Bronco Billy et al. Nature is going to need a loudhailer.

I've had up to 30 hives of honey bees. My only problem is when some jackoff douchebag sprays pesticide and my girls are working and they get zapped. I try to close'em up when I hear or see the sprayers going. The biggest problem though is loss of habitat. Albert Einstein was born on March 14th. So was this Huddler. Coincidence you say? Hmmmm. :D

was just reading an article on drudge.........

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/...icle2449968.ece

bees!!!!!!!!!

Somehow I find this article difficult to fully believe, let alone accept its theory as fact.

Now a limited study at Landau University has found that bees refuse to return to their hives when mobile phones are placed nearby. Dr Jochen Kuhn, who carried it out, said this could provide a "hint" to a possible cause.

This "limited" study is obviously a very small sample outside of the real population of bees. It would be nice to see the actual data from these tests, as well as how they went about doing the testing; the bees environment, how much 'cell phone exposure' they received, and for how long were they exposed are all very important things to consider when making such a blatent claim. Basically, this could be very skewed information that I'd hope most people will be skeptical of prior to insisting its truth.

I'm not saying that nothing should be done to find the true meaning behind the disappearance of bees, but that there needs to be much more conclusive data to make such a bold claim as this article suggests.

Somehow I find this article difficult to fully believe, let alone accept its theory as fact.

That is why I didn't post the link to this article when I started this thread. The cell-phone hypothesis is way too speculative, but the underlying problem of the bees dying off seems to be very real.

That is why I didn't post the link to this article when I started this thread. The cell-phone hypothesis is way too speculative, but the underlying problem of the bees dying off seems to be very real.

it maybe the end time for man but nature always has a card up its sleeve.

This is in fact a real problem, and if Einstein's calculations are correct ( :D ) then we humans won't have a very big window of opportunity to correct the issue, if it does indeed become our worst fears.

However, I have faith that if this were to become an extinction issue than us humans will probably put 99% of our effort into solving the issue. On a global scale this could equal the most abuntantly financed measure with the most intelligent scientists on Earth coming up with some form of "solution." Whether that solution be robots or AI pollinating our flowers, I don't know. But I'm confident we'd come up with some way to resolve the issue before our 4-year timeline is due. :D

I don't think we are in "End Times" at all, unless it's nuclear conflagration, but signs are all around for sure - nature is trying to tell us something.

Good luck with getting the message through to Bronco Billy et al. Nature is going to need a loudhailer.

While cell phones definitely are convenient, I could live without mine.

Albert Einstein once said, "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man."

Now, go google "Colony Collapse Disorder".

For extra credit, go read Cormac McCarthy's book The Road.

Sleep well.

Great thread topic - The Road is a great read as well.

Missing honey bees have been a real concern in my neck of the woods for the last few years. Local universities are bioengineering some "superbees" to take over the job of pollination if the regular bees begin to fail to pollinate crops.

Great thread topic - The Road is a great read as well.

Missing honey bees have been a real concern in my neck of the woods for the last few years. Local universities are bioengineering some "superbees" to take over the job of pollination if the regular bees begin to fail to pollinate crops.

See! Scientists are already doing what they do best. :D

I forgot to add - the main reason bees in this area are dying off is some kind of mite. I did not read the other article, so I don't know if they're speculating about why bees around the country are dying.

We're also seeing a hugh upswing in locust populations out in the west desert. They are tearing up a lot of dry farms, but they have not reached the main agricultural areas - yet. :D

We're also seeing a hugh upswing in locust populations out in the west desert. They are tearing up a lot of dry farms, but they have not reached the main agricultural areas - yet. :D

Now that IS interesting (and not in a good way).

For several years here I have been encouraging people to read Locust: The Devastating Rise and Mysterious Disappearance of the Insect That Shaped the American Frontier and now I doubly recommend it.

Now that IS interesting (and not in a good way).

For several years here I have been encouraging people to read Locust: The Devastating Rise and Mysterious Disappearance of the Insect That Shaped the American Frontier and now I doubly recommend it.

Next thing you know you'll be recommending:

Neocon: The Devastating Rise and Mysterious Disappearance of the Political Movement That Destroyed American Credibility and Bankrupted the Treasury

:D

Let's see...

we get hit by a meteor which accelarates the global warming which floods the world except for the patch of land that has all dead bees so nothing can get pollinated while we run out of oil and the economy falls apart. In the event anyone survives that, they will be infected with a super-virus that has no cure followed by the end of times.

Oh yes, and then the Raiders make the playoffs...

This could be way off, but something I recently considered as a possible theory to the bees dying off.

Not sure how many people have heard of using ultrasonic pest repellers that use high frequency sounds to repell rats and other pests (including spiders :tup: ). But the theory for why it's so effective is due to the pests inability to inhabit (or procreate) in an area where the frequency is at a certain level (or tone?). When considering this idea, along with the fact that every man-made machine creates a frequency, however, many cannot be heard by human ears. It's possible that one or many of the trillions of machines that we've created carry a certain frequency (and are used frequently around the world) that drive the bees away... :D

Which in a way can arguably offer more evidence to support the theory behind cell phones too. :D

From an associate of mine, an amateur beekeeper:

"As for CCD I am only a rank amateur but most of the beekeepers I have been talking to seem relatively unconcerned and don't think it is much different from anything that has been happening in the past. Bees are exceedingly fragile little creatures and it doesn't take much to bring a hive down - any of a dozen diseases, pesticices and just bad management. Most big apiaries are management by neglect - not many inspections and not much attention to the status of a single hive. When a problem hits one it will swiftly hit the others. That is why they like the idiot amateurs like me - always fussing with the hive and peering at it!"

Bees are exceedingly fragile little creatures and it doesn't take much to bring a hive down - any of a dozen diseases, pesticices and just bad management. Most big apiaries are management by neglect - not many inspections and not much attention to the status of a single hive. When a problem hits one it will swiftly hit the others.

Not to discount the cell phone theory, but from what I understand, this decline in bee population has been rather abrupt (over the past couple of years). Cell phones have been in widespread use for much longer than that.

Not to discount the cell phone theory, but from what I understand, this decline in bee population has been rather abrupt (over the past couple of years). Cell phones have been in widespread use for much longer than that.

Late last week, some bee-keepers claimed that the phenomenon - which started in the US, then spread to continental Europe - was beginning to hit Britain as well.Also, radiation given off by cell phones/towers would not "spread" across a region, let alone an ocean.