[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Man, my students get dumber every year

wiegie

Pretty much what I was thinking. I don't condone cheating...but hey, if he hadn't placed the reference in there he would have got hit for not citing the reference. At least the student got that part right. So instead of an F- he should at least get an F+. LOL

One of my colleagues asked me if I was going to nail him for plagarism and I said "no, I will dock him for not being informationally literate" (Information literacy is a big thing these days with us expecting students to be able to judge the evaluate the quality of the cites they reference.)

Yep.

(Actually though, GVSU's incoming students are behind only U of M and Michigan Tech in terms of ACT scores and high-school GPAs. (Or in other words, we take perfectly good students and then ruin them. (I once commented that GVSU was sort of like an East German automobile factory that took perfectly good steel and then turned it into cars that were worth less than the original steel they were built with... that comment didn't go over too well in my meeting.)))

Hubby went there two years 'cause his high school grades were not that good to get into U of M. After GVSU, he then went on to U of M to get an engineering degree and was well prepared-that was 28 years ago. His brother went to GVSU and now his niece just graduated there with a nursing degree and thought she was well prepared for the board exam. They also have a great women's golf program. She was on the women's golf team which finished #3 in the country in Division II, and if she worked harder at golf she could have turned pro, and her teammate did go pro.

One of my colleagues asked me if I was going to nail him for plagarism and I said "no, I will dock him for not being informationally literate" (Information literacy is a big thing these days with us expecting students to be able to judge the evaluate the quality of the cites they reference.)

Did the guy just word-for-word copy or did he actually write his own paper based on the the information presented from one's of echeat's papers?

Actually , it's more of a "social promotion" thing. Regardless of what the grade is, districts can promote students. For some reason schools don't like 17 year old 6th graders. :D

i had a 16yo guy in my 6th grade class

Why do you hate Fox News?

:D

You caught us. This whole wanting students to be informationally literate is indeed a liberal-commie-pinko-professor anti-President Bush plot.

:D

"An informed electorate will be the undoing of any great democracy" - Thomas Jefferson