[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A thought on KC trading LJ...

muck

...seriously...

Has anyone heard if Holmes is able to play?

If he is able to play (which, for the record, I don't think is very likely), I could see Holmes / Bennett two-headed monster ...

...seriously...

Has anyone heard if Holmes is able to play?

If he is able to play (which, for the record, I don't think is very likely), I could see Holmes / Bennett two-headed monster ...

Muck, this was in a San Antonio newspaper on 4/14/07:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories...es.2d61de9.html

Football: Holmes stays evasive on his future in NFL

Web Posted: 04/13/2007 10:28 PM CDT

Tom Orsborn

Express-News

Despite being Marshall's defensive linchpin during the Rams' run to the 1991 Class 5A Division II title game, end N.D. Kalu never sat on the bench to rest when the offense took the field.

Kalu's reason for standing when he could have been taking a much-deserved breather was simple: He didn't want to miss Priest Holmes in action.

"I was always on my feet watching him because I knew he was going to do something spectacular," Kalu said. "Every game, he always had at least one magical run. Some backs have only one all season. Priest had at least one every game.

"And I didn't want to miss any of them."

Now a member of the Houston Texans, Kalu continues to track Holmes. And like other fans of the Texas alumnus, Kalu wants to know whether Holmes will attempt a comeback with the Kansas City Chiefs after missing all of last season and the final nine games of the 2005 season with a neck injury.

But when it comes to revealing his plans, Holmes has proved to be just as elusive as he was during high school.

"I've known the guy for over 15 years and he won't give me a straight answer," Kalu said.

Although the odds are against Holmes playing again, he hasn't filed retirement papers with the NFLPA, a union spokesperson said Friday. And close friends and family members say they remain in the dark about Holmes' plans.

"I've stopped imposing on him," Holmes' stepfather Herman Morris said. "He's very elusive when it comes to this. He seems not sure about it himself."

That indecision surprises many observers. After all, Holmes turns 34 in October and doctors have told him he faces permanent damage if he plays again.

Then there's the difficulty he would face gaining a roster spot on a team deep at running back with Larry Johnson, the league's second-leading rusher last season with 1,789 yards, and Michael Bennett.

But Kalu noted Holmes has bounced back from career-threatening injuries before, including three knee injuries and a hip displacement.

"He's resilient," Kalu said. "He never gives up. He's had four injuries to the same leg and that didn't stop him. I remember when I tore my ACL how tough it was to come back. I love football, but I told myself if that ever happens again, I'm giving this up."

Holmes, who was unavailable for comment, is the Chiefs' career leader in rushing yards (5,933), touchdowns (83) and yards from scrimmage (8,293). A 10-year veteran, he spent his first four seasons with Baltimore and has career numbers that include 8,035 rushing yards and 94 TDs. His 66 TDs between 2002-2004 are an NFL record for a three-year span.

Holmes' contract expires after the 2009 season. He restructured the pact in March 2006 to give the club salary cap relief, lowering his base salary from $3.75 million to $710,000. He's scheduled to earn $870,000 in 2007.

"If he does retire, Priest, his agent and (Chiefs general manager) Carl Peterson would probably work out some kind of settlement," Chiefs spokesman Josh Looney said Friday.

But Looney said the Chiefs haven't ruled out Holmes attempting a comeback even though he hasn't attended any of the team's voluntary offseason workouts.

Morris said Holmes' last medical examination came last month in Miami and that Holmes said it went "pretty well."

"We certainly would welcome him back to active status if he is medically cleared," Looney said. "We're waiting for word from him on what he wants to do .... Until we hear something, we will assume he is still training in San Antonio."

Holmes' San Antonio-based personal trainer Bay Bay McClinton said Holmes' workouts this year have been spotty.

"He has worked out some, but it's not been consistent," McClinton said. "He last worked out with me last month but only for a couple of days."

Still, McClinton estimated it would take only two months for Holmes to get into shape for training camp, which starts in late July.

But Morris suggested Holmes might want to continue spending time with his four children. Holmes isn't scheduled to make a public appearance until May 5, when he will be inducted into the Texas High School Sports Hall of Fame in Waco.

Such a venue might seem like a perfect spot for a retirement announcement, but McClinton and Kalu predicted Holmes would stay mum.

"I don't think he owes anyone a quick answer," Kalu said. "He just has to wait and see how his body feels."

I heard on NFL Radio on the way in to work today a bit where LJ was praising the current ownership (Lamar Hunt's sons) and was pretty comfortable that he'd be traded or his deal reworked before the season started ... but said that it may not get done before the preseason starts.

FWIW.