[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Woman becomes a Dean at MIT by falsifying her record

MojoMan

The ironic thing is that she was a dean at MIT and evidently had rose through the ranks via ability but they want to dump her because she did not have a piece of paper. So in academia, it does not matter what you do, but what pieces of paper you have on the wall.

Pretty funny really. I thought MIT people were supposed to be smart enough to avoid this sort of problem.

The ironic thing is that she was a dean at MIT and evidently had rose through the ranks via ability but they want to dump her because she did not have a piece of paper. So in academia, it does not matter what you do, but what pieces of paper you have on the wall.

Pretty funny really. I thought MIT people were supposed to be smart enough to avoid this sort of problem.

Well, i think the main reason she's being fired is for lying about her resume. it's hard to justify that, being the dean of admissions and all - even if the lie did occur many years ago.

Yes, she's being fired for lying, however DMD's point is still valid. She did the job well enough to stick around for 28 years. Apparently an advanced degree isn't as much as they think.

This is very true of academia at all levels. I have been working on getting certified to teach and it's totally true that the piece of paper you hold is equally or more important than your prior experience.

I gotta start doing that. :tup: I just have to decide what I am a doctor of before my next job interview. :D Do they give out doctorates in internet addiction?

Depends on what you are looking at on the internet ( baaahhhhh )

:doh:

Shame lady lost her job ...but america's hierarchy and powers that be never lie so it makes sense :D

Yes, she's being fired for lying, however DMD's point is still valid. She did the job well enough to stick around for 28 years. Apparently an advanced degree isn't as much as they think.

This is very true of academia at all levels. I have been working on getting certified to teach and it's totally true that the piece of paper you hold is equally or more important than your prior experience.

Good luck Czar! :D

Sheepskins are all many admins care about. At my old CC PHD's are becoming the minimum to apply for most academic positions. To hell w/ how good of a teacher one might be, just present a PHD!

Hey that rhymes! :D

This has nothing to do with whether she was qualified to do the job.

Many times, it's not the graduate's name on the paper that matters.

It's the institution's name that does.

Heck, my degree(s) do not have my major I graduated with on them.

My name, date, honors, institution name + seal, and signatures.

(I went to an university 100+ years old.)

Newer schools do put the title of the major on their diploma.

A college degree is just documented proof that you can complete a long term goal while in a competitive atmosphere. Sometimes, that's all an employer needs to know about you.

The piece of paper can open doors; but can also shut them as well.

That is flat out ridiculous. I just had one of my candidates have an offer rescinded because they lied about a M.S. degree on their resume. They were only a couple classes short.

How does the MIT let this slip by?

Because it was an administrative Dean, and not related to academics? :D