[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spiderman 3

dabuffbills

I think 1 and 2 are pretty weak movies at best. SM2 has the better story and really good FX but I'd rather watch Dallas win a game then go see SM3.

Toby/Dunst just can't really act and the writers can't move the story.

Totally agreed...the first one was close to unwatchable...the second one was better, but only by default...I won't see the third one until TBS shows it in three years...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it last night and thought it was decent. I'll warn everyone and state that the dance scene was pretty painful to watch. Half the theater was laughing while half was groaning.

+ 1

Same reaction at the theater when I went......As a lot have said the action was great but the story line wasn't the best and could have done without all the villains in order to develope them better.

yeah, the dance scene was how you say......ghey...?

I liked Grace as Venom alot...I liked the movie, but found the Sandman storyline pointless....it seemed like they made the movie about spiderman/black costume/venom and threw sandman story on top of it with some crap about him being the actual killer of his father....

but I liked the movie overall..

yeah, the dance scene was how you say......ghey...?

I liked Grace as Venom alot...I liked the movie, but found the Sandman storyline pointless....it seemed like they made the movie about spiderman/black costume/venom and threw sandman story on top of it with some crap about him being the actual killer of his father....

but I liked the movie overall..

This hits on my reasoning why they felt they needed Sandman. The New Goblin and Venom could have been enough had the writers figured out how to bridge the gap when Spiderman was in his black outfit. Because they couldn't figure a way to make the movie compelling without a villian for a big chunk of the movie (aside from Harry/New Goblin), they needed the Sandman (but had no time to give him real depth).

I think ultimately they should have let Harry and Sandman be the villian in this one and had it lead into SM4 where Venom was the main villian.

This hits on my reasoning why they felt they needed Sandman. The New Goblin and Venom could have been enough had the writers figured out how to bridge the gap when Spiderman was in his black outfit. Because they couldn't figure a way to make the movie compelling without a villian for a big chunk of the movie (aside from Harry/New Goblin), they needed the Sandman (but had no time to give him real depth).

I think ultimately they should have let Harry and Sandman be the villian in this one and had it lead into SM4 where Venom was the main villian.

I agree with you...and disagree at the same time...

my favorite part of the movie was the Black Costume/Peter and Brock/Venom......especially Brock/Venom as both characters...

I liked the idea of sandman and what they did with him in the CGI department...but they just had him as a throw-in...much like how they were | | <--this close to putting the Lizard in SM2....

but I think it's obvious we'll see Carnage, Lizard and maybe Black Cat in the 4th.....

I didn't like it, and I saw it for free.

If you notice on most of the live action sets they only used a corner of the room, with everyone lined up against a wall in the shot. It was very noticeable given that the fights used the x,y and z axis. I couldn't figure out that choice. There literallt never is a shot of the wall behind the camera for the establishing shots.

I actually think they should have dropped Venom and kept it on the Sandman and Harry. Although a bit corny, I liked the 'dual-forgiveness' storyline of Pete wanting forgiveness from Harry for the death of Sr and Sandman receiving forgiveness from Peter for the death of ben. As a fanboy myself, I'm not opposed to that tweak to the mythos, but the total abandonment of his spider sense was an absolute cop-out.

Gwen Stacy had a horse face too. :yuck:

The best part of the movie was the first fight scene in the narrow alleyway.

I missed the whole point of the dance scene and it was painful to watch and detracting to the movie.

I thought it was weak to change the story of who killed his uncle and that the real killer just happened to be the Sandman. Then to make it worse they made Sandman a poor mis-understood bad/good guy. Are all SP super villians victims or mis-understood (Doc Oc, Goblin and now Sandman)? And I guess all SP super villians get to discover his true identity as well?

I thought making SP a celebrated hero was too much of a break from the original story line where he is the mis-understood hero ... largely because of the Daily Bugle and it's hard ass editor.

I liked the story line better when Peter Parker loved MJ from afar and couldn't tell her of his love because he was concerned for her safety. And now not only are they in a relationship but she knows all about him being Spidey ... when and how did that happen?

The whole killing off Harry Osborn, bringing back to life with a loss of memory, having him find his memory again so him and Peter can fight again only to have them re-unite at the end so Harry can be killed off for real was weak too.

The movie was longer than it needed to be as well.

I agree with you...and disagree at the same time...

my favorite part of the movie was the Black Costume/Peter and Brock/Venom......especially Brock/Venom as both characters...

I liked the idea of sandman and what they did with him in the CGI department...but they just had him as a throw-in...much like how they were | | <--this close to putting the Lizard in SM2....

but I think it's obvious we'll see Carnage, Lizard and maybe Black Cat in the 4th.....

I actually enjoyed Venom/Brock for the brief time he was on screen, I just thought they could have done so much more with that villain. Instead it felt simply tacked on. He should have saved it for SM4, but Rami will probably off of the SM franchise for the 4th installment.

I didn't like it, and I saw it for free.

If you notice on most of the live action sets they only used a corner of the room, with everyone lined up against a wall in the shot. It was very noticeable given that the fights used the x,y and z axis. I couldn't figure out that choice. There literallt never is a shot of the wall behind the camera for the establishing shots.

I actually think they should have dropped Venom and kept it on the Sandman and Harry. Although a bit corny, I liked the 'dual-forgiveness' storyline of Pete wanting forgiveness from Harry for the death of Sr and Sandman receiving forgiveness from Peter for the death of ben. As a fanboy myself, I'm not opposed to that tweak to the mythos, but the total abandonment of his spider sense was an absolute cop-out.

Gwen Stacy had a horse face too. :yuck:

I thought Bryce Dallas Howard (Gwen Stacy) was pretty darn cute in the film. I thought she was more attractive then the overrated (looks and acting wise) Kirsten Dunst.

The best part of the movie was the first fight scene in the narrow alleyway.

I missed the whole point of the dance scene and it was painful to watch and detracting to the movie.

I thought it was weak to change the story of who killed his uncle and that the real killer just happened to be the Sandman. Then to make it worse they made Sandman a poor mis-understood bad/good guy. Are all SP super villians victims or mis-understood (Doc Oc, Goblin and now Sandman)? And I guess all SP super villians get to discover his true identity as well?

I thought making SP a celebrated hero was too much of a break from the original story line where he is the mis-understood hero ... largely because of the Daily Bugle and it's hard ass editor.

I liked the story line better when Peter Parker loved MJ from afar and couldn't tell her of his love because he was concerned for her safety. And now not only are they in a relationship but she knows all about him being Spidey ... when and how did that happen?

The whole killing off Harry Osborn, bringing back to life with a loss of memory, having him find his memory again so him and Peter can fight again only to have them re-unite at the end so Harry can be killed off for real was weak too.

The movie was longer than it needed to be as well.

The whole MJ from a far because Peter didn't want to get hurt was well played in the first 2 films, but that story would have gotten old. I am glad that they finally have them together and he knowing Peter's secret. I don't think that was what hurt the film IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

that all happened in the 2nd movie.

i agree with most points made - finally got out to see this last night.

the street dance scenes should have been left on the cutting room floor. if you want peter to go bad, bad enough to hit mj, then let him go bad and leave out the corny stuff.

also, why can't the superheroes and villians fight as superheroes and villians? they kept ripping off spidey's mask to remind us that it's peter parker and venom kept changing to show us brock's face. i know who they are, i just want to see the comic book heroes fight it out.

the ending was also weak. i thought it would have been a nice touch if there was a headline or reference to spiderman helping the sandman's daughter. she got left out in all this and i'm assuming sandman still needs to commit more crimes to get money for her. harry dying and then peter and mj coming together in a silent hug left you kind of mopy at the end vs. fired up for more.

some good stuff in here for sure. the effects continue to amaze and the fight scenes were very cool. agree with others that they can't seem to create a more consistent, compelling storyline.

Speaking of the fight scenes, I'm getting a little tired of these movies where the action heroes have to fight in the air. I know Spidey can jump and swing and all that, but isn't he still subject to the law of gravity like the rest of us? As dumb as this sounds, I would have enjoyed this movie more if it seemed a bit more "realistic." :D

Speaking of the fight scenes, I'm getting a little tired of these movies where the action heroes have to fight in the air. I know Spidey can jump and swing and all that, but isn't he still subject to the law of gravity like the rest of us? As dumb as this sounds, I would have enjoyed this movie more if it seemed a bit more "realistic." :D

since it's based off a comic, that's real hard to do...

even the Batman storyline is about as realistic as it can get.....but even these stories get a bit unrealistic...

the ending was also weak. i thought it would have been a nice touch if there was a headline or reference to spiderman helping the sandman's daughter. she got left out in all this and i'm assuming sandman still needs to commit more crimes to get money for her. harry dying and then peter and mj coming together in a silent hug left you kind of mopy at the end vs. fired up for more.

Welcome to the world of comic books where it's not all happy endings.

Welcome to the world of comic books where it's not all happy endings.

i don't need it all too be happy at the end, but after peter forgives sandman because he now knows it was an accident and that sandman did it for his daughter, wouldn't you think he would then say, "how's she doin'?" or "maybe i can help." instead, he's just all full of himself because he could forgive. that's just lame given he's your friendly neighborhood spiderman who gets the key to the city and all that good stuff.

i'm all for some kind of a cliffhanger or mystery at the end that leave's you guessing ... but just having peter and mj come together for a hug with no words is about the most un-creative way to bring the thing to a close. both of the other flicks at least ended with something to think about. hell, mj never even knew the story about the black suit, so how could she just forgive peter after he was a total jerk and knocked her to the ground?

again, i don't need a happy ending, just a good one.