[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oil prices staying high?

Randall

Maybe the Federal Gubment could cut that 18 cents a gallon they charge.

Maybe the State and local Gubment could cut their 20 cents (or so) they charge.

They make more money per gallon than the oil companies for doing nothing. They don't even have to risk drilling a dry hole. Speaking of drilling a dry hole, maybe Pelosi could help.

They could, but then they would have to raise taxes elsewhere to make up for the lost revenue.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not totally true. Each engine/transmission is geared to get best economy around a certain speed, usually 55-60 MPH. If you go slower than that, the decrease in consumption is offset by the length of time the trip takes. If you go faster, the shorter time is offset by the increase in consumption. That range is usually engineered to offer the highest consumptions/speed ratio.

I used to drive 60-80 MPH all the way to work and I got about 22-25 MPG. Now I leave a little earlier and drive 55-65 all the way. It adds only about 5 minutes to my total commute and has increased my efficiency to just above 30 MPG. Of course, if I hit traffic, this goes out the window.

I was responding to TimC's point that the faster he drives, the faster he gets there thus the less gas he uses. As you point out, there is a point of diminishing returns, both in slower speeds and in higher speeds.

We should abolish speed limits. The faster I drive, the faster I get there, therefore the less gas I use. Make it happen.

Actually, I don't believe that is neccessarily true. I believe at a certain point there is a diminishing return on gas mileage, so, actually driving slower would save you gas, but cost you time.

:D

Apart from maintaining the roads the 'Vette uses, that is.

We could cut back on social programs to keep that funding the same. Who really cares about art? I mean, really cares?

Gas went DOWN here in mid-Missouri. $3.05 this am is now $3.03. I'm livin' the dream! :D

And I ain't buying no gas on May 15th either. :D

Edited by The Holy Roller

nope i have 3 hunting buddies that work at supervalue and thats about it for the FOOD items.. other stuff is higher

Funny, the store i worked at was a SuperValu too. I saw some of the ordering books. If i recall correctly, the highest mark up items were produce and some around 30-40% or so.

Maybe the Federal Gubment could cut that 18 cents a gallon they charge.

Maybe the State and local Gubment could cut their 20 cents (or so) they charge.

They make more money per gallon than the oil companies for doing nothing. They don't even have to risk drilling a dry hole. Speaking of drilling a dry hole, maybe Pelosi could help.

Yeah, and then Exxon and company would raise their prices 38 cents a gallon because demand would allow it. So either you have that 38 cents a gallon going to the bottom line of oil companies and you get nothing to show for it. Or it goes to governments who "should" be spending the money on either infrastructure such as roads or research for alt fuels.

Funny, the store i worked at was a SuperValu too. I saw some of the ordering books. If i recall correctly, the highest mark up items were produce and some around 30-40% or so.

there be mark up but also waste.. think how much it thrown out to what is sold... that be the key

there be mark up but also waste.. think how much it thrown out to what is sold... that be the key

True, but I don't really recall a whole lot of waste. You've got to keep in mind i'm talking about a small grocery store in a tiny town of about 800 people or so. And the only grocery store in town. No competition (unless you want to drive a ways) and you can make alot of money. The guy who owned the store sold out and retired very early.

The other thing with high gas/oil prices which seems to get little play is the overall effect on the entire economy. Not only is consumer spending adversely affected because you have less dollars to spend on other things like manufactured good and services because of personal increased fuel costs, but those goods and services themselves are more expensive thanks to the passing along of costs to consumers. I guess we may just have to get used to it. We've been fortunate for so long to have cheap energy compared to other developed countries in Europe, etc.

Add to that materials costs. Imagine what would happen if we had to stop using what comes from oil.

Products made from oil

Ammonia, Anesthetics, Antihistamines, Artificial limbs, Artificial Turf, Antiseptics, Aspirin, Auto Parts, Awnings, Balloons, Ballpoint pens, Bandages, Beach Umbrellas, Boats, Cameras, Candles, Car Battery Cases, Carpets, Caulking, Combs, Cortisones, Cosmetics, Crayons, Credit Cards, Curtains, Deodorants, Detergents, Dice, Disposable Diapers, Dolls, Dyes, Eye Glasses, Electrical Wiring Insulation, Faucet Washers, Fishing Rods, Fertilizer, Fishing Line, Fishing Lures, Food Preservatives, Food Packaging, Garden Hose, Glue, Hair Coloring, Hair Curlers, Hand Lotion, Hearing Aids, Heart Valves, Ink, Insect Repellant, Insecticides, Linoleum, Lip Stick, Milk Jugs, Nail Polish, Oil Filters, Panty Hose, Perfume, Petroleum Jelly, Rubber Cement, Rubbing Alcohol, Shampoo, Shaving Cream, Shoes, Toothpaste, Trash Bags, Upholstery, Vitamin Capsules, Water Pipes, Yarn

Or it goes to governments who "should" be spending the money on either infrastructure such as roads or research for alt fuels.

I'm glad you quoted should...because I doubt we could find anyone that thinks the Gubment spends 100% on what is what meant for. :D

We should abolish speed limits. The faster I drive, the faster I get there, therefore the less gas I use. Make it happen.

I remember driving through Texas and Montana at 125-130 in 1969. :D No speed limits in some states.

Not the whole state, just those sections that are straight for 100 miles.

Edited by Randall

Around $3.25 here, but I'm caring less - I have a short commute - <4 miles one way - so I'm riding my bike, thus saving gas, reducing pollution, AND slimming my tubby ass down.

I just paid $3.15/gal. for regular today at a Chevron off the strip in Vegas. That's WAY cheaper than back home in San Diego!!

Edited by Chargerz

If you think the oil companies have a patent to print money, I'd encourage you to find some way to get some of your money invested in those businesses ... whether it's through your IRA, your 401(k), your kids' 529 plan, or something else ...

FWIW, personally I think that oil and natural gas prices will be higher in the next 20yrs than they were in the past 20yrs.

I guess I really hit the lotto here in North Florida. Filled up both tanks Tuesday at $2.86 a gallon. Price ranges were screwy. The next cheapest I saw was $2.93 and a couple i saw were $3.03. Probably went up today. I usually don't luck out like that when it comes to gas going up. I usually need gas right after it goes up. I have to get rid of the pickup. It is for sure a gas guzzler.

If you think the oil companies have a patent to print money, I'd encourage you to find some way to get some of your money invested in those businesses ... whether it's through your IRA, your 401(k), your kids' 529 plan, or something else ...

FWIW, personally I think that oil and natural gas prices will be higher in the next 20yrs than they were in the past 20yrs.

I'd say they do - they have what amounts to a necessary item, and a very friendly government that asks "how high" whenever they say "jump" (this is directed at both parties, though I'd say the current admin might as well go yachting on the Exxon Valdez, since they truly appear joined at the hip with big oil).