[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone here in the Mailing industry?

Savage Beatings

FYI for Savage, Twiley, et al...

My company deals with print and mailing services as a brokerage on a regular basis. We do have some in house printing capabilities, but mostly we outsource.

If you have a problem getting a job done, PM me. I can always try to help.

Typically what we do is, we print offset shells using wax free inks, and then we overprint personalized addresses, etc. on a digital printer (HP, Kodak, etc.). Unlesss the client specifies otherwise, we use paper that we know takes our toner well. But over the last 6months or so (maybe even a little longer) once these pieces hit the post office they get turned into garbage. We have tried so many different combinations of paper, ink, coatings, etc. and nothing has provided an adequate solution. This has cost us a ton of time, money, and reputation with our clients! :D

I've talked to a few people here this morning. It doesn't sound like this is a big problem we have ran into yet. At least we're not hearing from any of our customers about any problems with things going thru the post office.

When we've had problems with a piece where the ink will scuff or track going thru a laster printer or collater, we'd try the varnish route, but that sounds like it didn't work for you. The other route we've taken is to run some of this work on a UV press and have had pretty good results with that versus heatset. Not sure if this is an option for you...

The other route we've taken is to run some of this work on a UV press and have had pretty good results with that versus heatset. Not sure if this is an option for you...

Not a bad idea at all.

Funny you mention that... our Production Manager suggested that we invest in a UV in order to address this problem, and he was very quickly shot down by one of our VP's (I'm not sure why). I tend to think that this might work as well... I guess we just need to find another way to approach/educate this guy.

Funny you mention that... our Production Manager suggested that we invest in a UV in order to address this problem, and he was very quickly shot down by one of our VP's (I'm not sure why). I tend to think that this might work as well... I guess we just need to find another way to approach/educate this guy.

Offset UV is a heavy investment. Primarily used for long runs and heavy ink coverage. UV inks tend to run close to 3 times the cost of coldest as well. Set ups - downtime are also typically twice that of coldset.

If you are using an offset press and printing coldest inks - I would be encouraging your ink manufacturer/supplier to solve your issue with different dryer densities once paper has been ruled out. It is what they live for. :D