[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

final exam question for next year's family law class

Azazello1313

:D

Twin brothers Raymon and Richard Miller are the father and uncle to a 3-year-old little girl. The problem is, they don't know which is which. Or who is who.

The identical Missouri twins say they were unknowingly having sex with the same woman. And according to the woman's testimony, she had sex with each man on the same day. Within hours of each other.

When the woman in question, Holly Marie Adams, got pregnant, she named Raymon the father, but he contested and demanded a paternity test, bringing his own brother Richard to court.

But a paternity test in this case could not help. The test showed that both brothers have over a 99.9 percent probability of being the daddy— and neither one wants to pay the child support. The result of the test has not only brought to light the limits of DNA evidence, it has also led to a three-year legal battle, a Miller family feud and a little girl who may never know who her real father is.

"'Did you sleep with him [Richard Miller] while in Sikeston for the rodeo?'," Cameron Parker, Richard's lawyer, said she asked Holly Marie Adams in 2003 court testimony, to which she answered "'Yes ma'am.'" "She then said she went to appellant's [Raymon Miller's]home where they had sex later that night or early the next morning," Parker said.

Richard was the first one in. That's significant because his sperm actually acts as a blocker to any other sperm that is present afterwards (saw this on TLC a while ago). Statistically Richard has a much better chance of being the father.

But the truth is, the real father is either going to end up being Atomic or Bier. Guaranteed laughs!

But the truth is, the real father is either going to end up being Atomic or Bier. Guaranteed laughs!

it's possible... my sperm is so potent, it very well could impregnate a woman several states away.....

In a much more disturbing case I read about, a twin had raped a woman, but both twins were claiming that it was the other twin and the woman and DNA analysis can't tell the difference. I believe that neither man has gone to jail.

In a much more disturbing case I read about, a twin had raped a woman, but both twins were claiming that it was the other twin and the woman and DNA analysis can't tell the difference. I believe that neither man has gone to jail.

I believe CSI had an episode just like this. They also had something weird where one twin had been enveloped by the other twin while in the womb, so dude had two different sets of DNA... one in his love juice, the other in blood. Really weird.

They also had something weird where one twin had been enveloped by the other twin while in the womb, so dude had two different sets of DNA... one in his love juice, the other in blood. Really weird.

I believe that was an SVU. :D

This would make an awesome sitcom.

I believe that was an SVU. :D

Actually I think it was both. I know for sure seeing a CSI episode where a man had two sets of DNA. The medical term is called Chimera. The episode was Bloodlines (Season 4, Episode 23)

I also remember seeing a Law & Order episode (don't remember which series) where they had two individuals that the evidence both pointed to, but under different scenarios. Their cases were suppose to be tried together, making the two-scenario argument very difficult to present. But a confession recorded in jail turned up inadmissable for one boy because it was to a priest/uncle, but was admissable for the other boy. That boy's lawyer asked to have the trials severed, allowing the differing defenses to be argued simultaneously.

Edited by cdrudge

They could order both brothers to be tested to see if either one is sterile. If so, you know who the father is.

If both are capable of impregnating her, then I'd go with the "first one in" theory presented earlier in this thread.

They could order both brothers to be tested to see if either one is sterile. If so, you know who the father is.

If both are capable of impregnating her, then I'd go with the "first one in" theory presented earlier in this thread.

the problem with that is, the law requires a 98% certainty of a DNA match to impose paternal liability or whatever you want to call it. i doubt that "first one in" theory gets you anywhere close to 98%. in this case, they apparently presented to the court (with a straight face) that two different people were 99+% likely to be the father. and the court agreed :D

i'm thinking i'd want a recount if i was twin #2, the one the court is forcing to pay child support. that 99+% finding is obviously operating under the assumption that you do NOT have an identical twin who porked the same woman a few hours earlier. correctly account for that variable and the probabilities are going to be pretty close to 50/50.