[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Neighborly advice/opinions needed

Savage Beatings

i guess you don't see many in the trailer park :D

anyway, it seems like i'm the only one, but i think i have to sorta take the builder's side here. to put it crassly, if something on my property is a hazard to people who are dicking around on my property without my permission, the correct solution is you staying the f off my property, not me making sure it is safe for you.

I tend to take the same stance myself, but with litigation, it is the builder's best interest as well as SB's to protect the public. This is the reason when I moved into my house a few years ago, I tore down a perfectly good 4' high fence, and put up an 8' high wrought iron fence and gate to prevent neighborhood kids from climbing the fence and drowning in my pool, and then have their parents take me to court.

Plus if the builder is using it as a model home, and has employees showing it, if it is over a certain hight (I believe it is 30") of sheer fall, and he has enough employees to fall under OSHA (I think it is 10 but I don't remember) then by federal law, a safety rail is required around it. If it is a fairly decent size builder, and he has half a brain, the threat of OSHA will scare him into doing something, as once the get you on once site, they are more likely to visit your other sites, and some violations (not this one) not only carry stiff fines, but also jail time.

anyway, it seems like i'm the only one, but i think i have to sorta take the builder's side here. to put it crassly, if something on my property is a hazard to people who are dicking around on my property without my permission, the correct solution is you staying the f off my property, not me making sure it is safe for you.

Well, that's kind of my instinct as well to be honest... which is why I keep telling the kids to stay the F away from there. But at the end of the day if they don't listen to me, then it could still hurt them pretty badly. It's not that I necessarily think they have some kind of obligation to protect my kids... it just would have been a nice gesture on their part to help us out (especially after we had just helped them out).

Well, that's kind of my instinct as well to be honest... which is why I keep telling the kids to stay the F away from there. But at the end of the day if they don't listen to me, then it could still hurt them pretty badly. It's not that I necessarily think they have some kind of obligation to protect my kids... it just would have been a nice gesture on their part to help us out (especially after we had just helped them out).

Well, if the kids don't listen to you give then a savage beating.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Not sure I agree here. Most communities have laws regarding fencing around a pool due to the danger to other children. Seems like a similar situation.

maybe so, i guess i can see why communities would pass laws like that. i just think, intuitively, it is not my job to make my yard a safe play area for my neighbors kids, especially if i don't want them there in the first place.

i just think, intuitively, it is not my job to make my yard a safe play area for my neighbors kids, especially if i don't want them there in the first place.

I agree with this--would it be the builder's fault if he put a guard-dog on a chain in the home's backyard and then your kids got bit by it because they kept running onto the builder's land?

maybe so, i guess i can see why communities would pass laws like that. i just think, intuitively, it is not my job to make my yard a safe play area for my neighbors kids, especially if i don't want them there in the first place.

Your intuition is sorely lacking then sir. Go look up the "attractive nuisance doctrine" and then get back to me.

I think the builders being a jerk. Forget the laws, building codes, etc. Whatever happened to just being a decent human being. If I were a builder and someone came to me with this concern I would take care of the situation. The last thing I would ever want is for a child to get seriously hurt on my property.

That being said, if the jerk refuses to take care of the situation I would just put up a sign on my property for any potential buyers to see that reads:

“The builder in this area has been made aware of the potential hazard of window wells to neighborhood children and has refused to remedy the situation.”

This could make a few potential buyers nervous.

I agree with this--would it be the builder's fault if he put a guard-dog on a chain in the home's backyard and then your kids got bit by it because they kept running onto the builder's land?

Yes, and he could be sued.

lol

In few if any places would the builder not be liable if someone got hurt from that thing. It's similar to having the pool thing as others have said.

It's getting hot.

Find a nice plump dead raccoon on the road.

Drop it in the hole.

Let it start to stink.

Call the city Health Department.

Watch that dude have to fish it out.

Plus no kid will want to fall on the dead raccoon.

This is the best answer. Very cre8tiff! :D

DO IT NOW!!