[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What movie that you never really heard of...

darin3

Phew, that was a mouthful. So, I was relaxing on the couch today, frustrated by my intermittent internet issues, and flipped the channel to one of the Showtime choices and Target, starring Gene Hackman and a very green Matt Dillon. Was filmed in 1985, but for some reason it had a 60's / 70's spy movie type of vibe. How come I never heard of this movie? I love 80's flicks, and love spy flicks. And to boot, am a fan of Gene Hackman. Story was pretty good, some decent action. Was kind of a "buddy" action flick, but with a father/son combo. I could totally see this movie re-made. It would definitely have an audience today. Anyone seen this movie? And also, what older movie would you like to see remade?

:D

Phew, that was a mouthful. So, I was relaxing on the couch today, frustrated by my intermittent internet issues, and flipped the channel to one of the Showtime choices and Target, starring Gene Hackman and a very green Matt Dillon. Was filmed in 1985, but for some reason it had a 60's / 70's spy movie type of vibe. How come I never heard of this movie? I love 80's flicks, and love spy flicks. And to boot, am a fan of Gene Hackman. Story was pretty good, some decent action. Was kind of a "buddy" action flick, but with a father/son combo. I could totally see this movie re-made. It would definitely have an audience today. Anyone seen this movie? And also, what older movie would you like to see remade?

:D

i don't have a great answer for your question offhand, but your post made me think....i HOPE you have seen "the conversation", because that fits right in with everything you just said you love, and what a great flick. :D

Edited by Azazello1313

Since you can watch old movies on DVD and crap nowadays, why wouldn't you want them to make good NEW movies, as opposed to recycling ideas?

Since you can watch old movies on DVD and crap nowadays, why wouldn't you want them to make good NEW movies, as opposed to recycling ideas?

One reason is that special effects are awesome nowadays. I mentioned this film in another thread, but I think Westworld would be a great remake. Who's got the creepy eyes that could play the part of the gunslinger Yul Brenner played? Maybe expand on it with another park besides Westworld, Future World, and Medievil World.

:D I'm not saying it's a perfect idea, but it's what Hollywood does. The acting in Target was average at best; Hackman was of course solid and while Dillon was green, he was alright. The rest of the cast - including a bunch of German no-names - was pretty bad. With better casting/acting, it could have been way better. The premise was good, the story featured plenty of on-foot and in-car chase scenes (think Bourne Identity and I know how Hollywood works. Many "older" flicks have been remade well. Careful selection of movies to be remade is key.

One reason is that special effects are awesome nowadays. I.

You're right - the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy was WAY better than the first 3. The Planet of the Apes update kicked the ass of the original series. The US big-budget Godzilla was WAY more cool than the man-in-the-rubber suit original. Lost In Space was in DIRE need of an update.*

Generally, it seems that very few remakes improve upon the original in any significant way - "updating special effects" isn't really a good reason to remake a decent film. Were the original Godzilla and Lost in Space sorta clunky effects-wise? Definitely - but the updates of them were effects-laden, soulless, focus-grouped "event" films that totally missed the point - the reason people LOVED the originals was in large part BECAUSE of their kitschy charms, and inventiveness. Planet of the Apes had better costuming but lacked ANY of the resonance, and its attempt to recapture the "twist" of the original was just stupid. Heck, just compare the COMPLETELY missing the point orgy of budget that was The Grinch movie vs the utterly charming, nicely contained original cartoon (I can't even remember if it's an hour or a 1/2 hour).

I could probably go on and on, but I'll stop. I think the point is made.

*- your Sarcasto-meter should be redlining about now.

I know how Hollywood works. Many "older" flicks have been remade well. Careful selection of movies to be remade is key.

The problem, if you know how Hollywood works, is that any bit of quirky charm will get bowdlerized right out of a charming, below-the-radar film.

I haven't seen Target, but I like how Az is thinking in suggesting "hey, if you liked that, it sounds like you'd like The Conversation, which is awesome."

Why waste time and money remaking mediocre movies when there are tons of great ones out there?

The problem, if you know how Hollywood works, is that any bit of quirky charm will get bowdlerized right out of a charming, below-the-radar film.

I haven't seen Target, but I like how Az is thinking in suggesting "hey, if you liked that, it sounds like you'd like The Conversation, which is awesome."

Why waste time and money remaking mediocre movies when there are tons of great ones out there?

The remakes of La Femme Nikita and The Vanishing are sufficient to make the point.

Remember the scene in Jaws where the girl is swimming at dusk and gets pulled underwater by the shark? It wasn't supposed to be filmed that way, but the mechanical shark was not functioning so they re-wrote it. I point this out only because if they had showed the shark in that scene, it wouldn't have had the impact, and could fall into the special effects comparison by today's standard. My point is that what makes a movie great doesn't have to depend on special effects. I saw Star Wars before it was released. A girl I knew won tickets to see it off a radio contest, and it was amazing. By today's standards it's pretty weak, but it's still a good movie.

What I tire of is the re-make TV show movies... except one, which is a Very Brady Sequel. My kids were under 10 when it was made, and was something they wanted to see so I watched it with them. It was hilarious, though I don't suspect anyone here saw it.

One candidate for remake would be The Quick and the Dead. Great cast and plot (for the most part), but it missed. Still, I don't think it should be remade.