[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where should Dayne be taken?

polksalet

I'm guessing here, but while trying to keep up with HOU's off-season moves and camps, I'm THINKING the following...

1. AGreen is #1 in HOU.

2. RDayne has secured the #2 RB on the depth chart.

3. #3 RB on the depth chart is up for grabs.

4. Coach Kubiak has indicated that SGado has made great strides since joining the Texans last season. "Most improved" -- my words, not his.

5. AGreen will be running between the 20s. RDayne will be the short-yardage, goal-line back.

6. If AGreen goes down, I don't think RDayne becomes the starter. I think RDayne remains the short-yardage, goal-line back, and the #3 becomes #1, whether that is SGado, CTaylor, WLundy, DWalker (rookie, Notre Dame).

After AGreen and RDayne, the backfield is quite crowded.

As a Ahman Green, Dayne and C Taylor owner from last year, I know that Dayne's numbers from the end of last year speak for themselves. Unless Dayne really screws up at some point here, if Ahman goes down, Dayne will be the backup.

Edited by Crazysight

I'm guessing here, but while trying to keep up with HOU's off-season moves and camps, I'm THINKING the following...

5. AGreen will be running between the 20s. RDayne will be the short-yardage, goal-line back.

Ron Dayne is incapable of being a short yardage back. The Giants tried for years. He goes down on the first hit and that's it. Dayne will not by #2 on that depth chart for long.

Ron Dayne is incapable of being a short yardage back. The Giants tried for years. He goes down on the first hit and that's it. Dayne will not by #2 on that depth chart for long.

Did you see Tiki's comments on Dayne being a short yardage RB in NY? He said Coughlin ran 2 - count 'em - 2 short yardage plays for him. Tiki also said their were times when the D was actually accurately calling out where Dayne was going to run before the ball was snapped. Not saying Dayne is the next coming, but geez, what RB could succeed in that situation on a compressed field?

That said, while A Green figures to be the #1 RB in HOU, Dayne runs well in a zone blocking scheme and put up big numbers at the end of last year. He played for Kubiak in DEN and saved DEN's ass in a couple of games with clutch runs at the end of close games. Green has also missed games due to injury the last 3 years and 4 of the last 5 years.

Dayne has some value, whether people want to admit it or not. He's a decent late round addition for depth.

Did you see Tiki's comments on Dayne being a short yardage RB in NY? He said Coughlin ran 2 - count 'em - 2 short yardage plays for him. Tiki also said their were times when the D was actually accurately calling out where Dayne was going to run before the ball was snapped. Not saying Dayne is the next coming, but geez, what RB could succeed in that situation on a compressed field?

Dayne was in NY for more than just the Coughlin years and he could NEVER produce in short yardage situations. It is so bad that even Dayne's wife pointed out to him that he goes down on the first hit. I won't disagreed that he wasn't put in the best of situations though.

Zone blocking or not, Dayne is not a short yardage guy. I just don't see how he will fit in the scheme of things after the first couple of weeks.

Dayne was in NY for more than just the Coughlin years and he could NEVER produce in short yardage situations. It is so bad that even Dayne's wife pointed out to him that he goes down on the first hit. I won't disagreed that he wasn't put in the best of situations though.

Zone blocking or not, Dayne is not a short yardage guy. I just don't see how he will fit in the scheme of things after the first couple of weeks.

Well, there's always going to be Giants' fans or guys who drafted Dayne early in the 1st round in dynasty leagues who are going to hate the guy - and not unreasonably, I might add.

That said, the fact is that his ypc jumped 22.4% when he got out of NY and went to zone blocking schemes in DEN & HOU, and he was effective in the role he has played both in DEN and in HOU. I'd argue that while he isn't a great RB by any stretch of the imagination, he was also misused in his role in NY and played in a system not condusive to his skills.

While it may be true that Dayne was put into a bad situation in NY, from watching him run it seemed obvious that he did not have much initial burst. Dayne's value is that he very diffiucult to take down once he gets a full head of steam...which seems it would be very useful in a "zone-blocking" scheme.