[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A simple question

Kid Cid

Deep down inside of you, do you feel that there is some meaning to our existence here other than what we make of it? Why or why not?

We are each fairly insignificant in the general scheme of life and the world. So the meaning to each of our lives is to be the best person we can be and have fun doing it.

(and to watch a lot of football)

Edited by TDFFFreak

There is a deeper meaning, even if it doesn't go beyond the evolution of our species. I owed it to the world to replace myself with a quality individual. So I had and raised wonderful children.

I owed it to society as a whole to obey laws and be the nicest person I can. If that secures me a place in some afterlife, that is just gravy to the rewards I reap here.

There is a deeper meaning, even if it doesn't go beyond the evolution of our species. I owed it to the world to replace myself with a quality individual. So I had and raised wonderful children.

I owed it to society as a whole to obey laws and be the nicest person I can. If that secures me a place in some afterlife, that is just gravy to the rewards I reap here.

I don't think that is deeper meaning. That is meaning that you or the society that we live in has assigned to it.

Deep down inside of you, do you feel that there is some meaning to our existence here other than what we make of it? Why or why not?

nope,

There is a distinct possibility we create meaning because of the absolute terror caused by the idea that there is none.

yup

i would agree but dont think that is question ...

There is a distinct possibility we create meaning because of the absolute terror caused by the idea that there is none.

I don't think we can avoid giving meaning to stuff. It's what we do. Even without the existential angst, we'd still have to make stuff up.

The question is not whether something has meaning -- it has meaning, whether you want it to or not. You may not like or understand the meaning, but it will have a meaning.

If you want to define "meaning" as some objective empirical proof -- no, I doubt that you'd get that at all. Life would be even more pointless, because we'd all know how it ends, why and what for. We'd literally just be going through the motions. Mystery is good.

My dog thinks he will live forever. Good boy.

But you gotta serve somebody, even if it's all just in your mind. Athiests are some of the most pious people I know in their devotion to their understanding of "reason."

The more interesting dichotomy may be between people who "create" meaning and those who "find" meaning in life. I'd put athiests and fundamentalists of all religions in the first camp, for instance, and that would be fun. Maybe they could meet in Colorado and blow that shallow festering state of eco-zombies up.