[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DA in Duke Case Isnt the Lone Culprit

spain

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would conservatives want to become teachers anyway? They aren't concerned about bettering society, just themselves...

I dont work for the betterment of society. I work to provide for my family. Thats it. Doesnt mean I am not concerned about society. I pay my taxes, give to charities, do some volunteer work, dont litter, etc. Just because my job only benefits me, my employer and our customers, doesnt mean I am not concerned about society.

I didnt say there werent any, but the field is obviously domintated by far leftists. They are alot more likely to hire people who think like they do rather than a conservative. You dont have any problems believing that people are discriminated based on their race. Why is it such a stretch to believe that they are discriminated based on their beliefs, especially in a field of ideas?

So is it just as likely that corporations discriminate in their hiring practices based upon the beliefs of their CEO or HR department?

Interesting to note that you mention the field of ideas. This is a field where you need to publish and be able to defend your position against peer and scientific review, as well as contrasting ideas. Maybe Conservatives don't like being put in that position. :D

Hey, dumbass, it's the same publishing company that publishes the journal in which the original article that dmarc cited was printed.

i'll call your berkley rag and raise with the state of arizona!!!

But some Arizona lawmakers think that push has gone too far. They want to tame what they see as left-leaning professors at state universities who they contend wield an unhealthful influence over Arizona's younger minds.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/n...professors.html

:D

i'll call your berkley rag and raise with the state of arizona!!!

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/n...professors.html

I'm not sure you are helping your argument here. The one case of alleged liberal bias in the classroom is from a community college student who complained about being assigned to read "The Ice Storm" after being told on the very first day of class that the book was on the reading list?

I'm not sure you are helping your argument here. The one case of alleged liberal bias in the classroom is from a community college student who complained about being assigned to read "The Ice Storm" after being told on the very first day of class that the book was on the reading list?

obviously the elected officials found merit in his complaint

"University professors lean liberal and not conservative," said Sen. Linda Gray, R-Phoenix, chairwoman of the Senate's Higher Education Committee. "They contribute to society accepting immoral behavior. (The classroom) is where they get to the mind."

they are poisoning are youth!

So, this would be your logic for his not becoming a professor--because he wouldn't have that much of an impact anyway? That's just stupid.

what's stupid, professor extra-douchy, is YOUR logic that the way spain should remedy the overwhelming left-wing bias in academia is by himself becoming a professor.

what's stupid, professor extra-douchy, is YOUR logic that the way spain should remedy the overwhelming left-wing bias in academia is by himself becoming a professor.

First-off, I don't know what you mean by left-wing bias. Bias against what?

And secondly, if Spain truly thinks there is a problem in academia, he does indeed have an option to fix at least some small part of it.

And finally, my comments were directed in general at anyone who thinks there is the "problem" that spain and dmarc think there is.

First-off, I don't know what you mean by left-wing bias. Bias against what?

And secondly, if Spain truly thinks there is a problem in academia, he does indeed have an option to fix at least some small part of it.

And finally, my comments were directed in general at anyone who thinks there is the "problem" that spain and dmarc think there is.

They are mad there is no class on how to make "poke salit"

I found that comment laughable as well.

I have no doubt that conservatives have the same intellectual and teaching capabilities as liberals--I just don't think they have as much desire to become professors. (Which is a shame for their sakes, because being a professor is one of the best jobs in the world.)

Edited by wiegie

My problem with acadamia is that many in the feild were simply professional students before becoming teachers, they do not have any real world experience.

If by "no real world experience" you are conveniently excluding the fact that most have single handedly run a five table station while completely stoned to the bone, then by all means continue to manipulate the data however you want.

I found that comment laughable as well.

I have no doubt that conservatives have the same intellectual and teaching capabilities as liberals--I just don't think they have as much desire to become professors. (Which is a shame for their sakes, because being a professor is one of the best jobs in the world.)

It was intended to be just as laughable, and just as probable, as the theory from Spain that it was in response to.

I'm not all that concerned about bettering society--I just think being a professor is one of the most enjoyable jobs that there is.

Im sure it is enjoyable playing mind games on students, and the power trip that comes with it. :D

Where do you teach?

Or, just as probable, is that conservative white males don't have the necessary skill set to teach.

Really? I was a teacher (and coach) for 12 years before I got out - and I was damn good at it. It got to the point where I couldn't deal with being reprimanded by administrators for failing students who didn't show up for class, didn't do homework, and (consequently) failed tests any longer. That, and dealing with a disturbingly large proportrion of administrators who, 1) Didn't know dick about the subject you were teaching (and often admitted both being terrible at it and hating it), yet felt obligated to instruct you how to teach every facet of it after being at a weekend seminar, and 2) Caring so much about advancing their own credentials/careers that they actually were actively harming the kids for whom they were supposed to be responsible.

Don't lecture us about something if you don't understand it. I loved teaching (and coaching) and have regretted not doing it any longer almost every day since I left the field 10 years ago. That was due directly to the influence of hard left thinking & acting administrators.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Really? I was a teacher (and coach) for 12 years before I got out - and I was damn good at it. It got to the point where I couldn't deal with being reprimanded by administrators for failing students who didn't show up for class, didn't do homework, and (consequently) failed tests any longer. That, and dealing with a disturbingly large proportrion of administrators who, 1) Didn't know dick about the subject you were teaching (and often admitted both being terrible at it and hating it), yet felt obligated to instruct you how to teach every facet of it after being at a weekend seminar, and 2) Caring so much about advancing their own credentials/careers that they actually were actively harming the kids for whom they were supposed to be responsible.

Don't lecture us about something if you don't understand it. I loved teaching (and coaching) and have regretted not doing it any longer almost every day since I left the field 10 years ago. That was due directly to the influence of hard left thinking & acting administrators.

You encountered an obstacle, so you ran away. I think we all understand that.

See... It's not that conservatives don't have the skills to teach, they just quit rather than try to change things for the better.

Don't lecture him for taking the easy road and selling out his beliefs. He really regrets giving in to the liberals, and that makes it ok for him to complain. See?

You encountered an obstacle, so you ran away. I think we all understand that.

See... It's not that conservatives don't have the skills to teach, they just quit rather than try to change things for the better.

Don't lecture him for taking the easy road and selling out his beliefs. He really regrets giving in to the liberals, and that makes it ok for him to complain. See?

Easy there pony boy. If you will note from my follow up post, I made the comment in response to a theory in spain's post that was impossible to substantiate. Thus my use of the words "just as probable." I guess that I need to include the little :D in those kinds of posts.

My wife is a teacher. Special education teacher for 15 years, and she hasn't quit yet. Our best friend is a middle school principal. I think that I know how the education system works. At least in New York and PA. Administrators are hired by the School Board. The School Board is elected by the community. If the community feels that the school is being run in a liberal matter, they are free to elect a conservative school board.