[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Student who drove Halberstam during crash to be charged

Goopster24

I am surprised someone who tries so hard on a daily basis not to come across as a complete retard would make a statement as stupid as this.

In the future, kindly quote the person as well, I had to re-read the entire thread to find out who the retard is. :D

I am surprised someone who tries so hard on a daily basis not to come across as a complete retard would make a statement as stupid as this.

now H8, that's not very nice. What would Nancy Pelosi say about this mean spirited attack?

The guy with a noted history of negligent driving made a left turn on a red light with oncoming traffic that resulted in the death of his passenger.

I understand the notion of "he's already paid the price of killing someone", but at the very least he should not be able to operate a vehicle for the foreseeable future. If criminal proceedings are required to ensure this, then so be it.

I don't want to make it sound like I want the guy strapped into Ol' Sparky for what he did, either. But the facts appear to be pretty simple - the guy operated his vehicle in an intentionally reckless or irreponsible & illegal manner - take your pick - and the direct result of his actions were that a man died.

That has to carry more assigned responsibility than your standard out-of-hand fender bender where everyone goes home & calls their insurance companies afterwards.

I guess the bold is what I'm not yet sure of.

I guess the bold is what I'm not yet sure of.

Are you implying that he wasn't aware that the turn he was executing was illegal? If he was in a hurry, thought he could pull it and said, "f' it" and went for it, it was intentionally reckless. Dude made a left turn against a red with in front of on-coming traffic. Obviously it was too close to try, 'cause he came up very short. How is that not intentionally reckless?

You guys are acting like he randomly blew a tire in the middle of a turn and crashed. Dude broke the law and as a result, a man is dead. What part am I missing here?

Are you implying that he wasn't aware that the turn he was executing was illegal? If he was in a hurry, thought he could pull it and said, "f' it" and went for it, it was intentionally reckless. Dude made a left turn against a red with in front of on-coming traffic. Obviously it was too close to try, 'cause he came up very short. How is that not intentionally reckless?

You guys are acting like he randomly blew a tire in the middle of a turn and crashed. Dude broke the law and as a result, a man is dead. What part am I missing here?

I think hyperbole is invading your argument. Is illegal lane change against the law? How about failing to yield the right of way? Running a stop sign? Following too closely? Driving faster than the posted speed limit? Almost every time there is a car accident, a law is broken.

I think hyperbole is invading your argument. Is illegal lane change against the law? How about failing to yield the right of way? Running a stop sign? Following too closely? Driving faster than the posted speed limit? Almost every time there is a car accident, a law is broken.

yeah, but making an illegal turn into oncoming traffic, from a lane going straight where there were TWO left turn lanes...that is pretty f'n reckless, and the likelihood of bad accident should be pretty easily foreseeable. the law usually makes distinctions between recklessness and mere negligence, and this would seem to be case where that distinction came into play.

a year in the can (maximum) for driving like a complete a-hole and ending up killing a dude? doesn't seem unreasonable to me, if anything he's lucky he doesn't face a stiffer charge. :D

I understand your point. However, it is my opinion that part of the chance you take when you break the law is that you are liable for whatever happens as a result. If the result is a cop sees you and gives you a ticket, well that sucks, I guess. However, if the result is somebody dies, then you're screwed. Of course, it needs to be proven that whatever happened was a direct result of you breaking the law. But that certainly seems to be the case here.

Perhaps part of my stance here is that I hate people who do stupid things on the road. Missed your turn? Well sucks for you. Go through the intersection, find the next place to turn around legally and get back on your way. Don't whip across 3 lanes or (just as annoying) stop in the lane you're in and try to weasel into the turn lane holding up a bunch of people behind you because you're too freaking selfish to own your mistake and waste your own time rather than everyone else's.

yeah, but making an illegal turn into oncoming traffic, from a lane going straight where there were TWO left turn lanes...that is pretty f'n reckless, and the likelihood of bad accident should be pretty easily foreseeable. the law usually makes distinctions between recklessness and mere negligence, and this would seem to be case where that distinction came into play.

good point.