[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest Guitar Solos of All Time

SheikYerbuti

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vol. 8 (5/2/70: Binghampton) and Vol. 22 (5/22-24/68: (Lake Tahoe).

Closer on the former, Opener on the latter.....

I put up the one from Harpur College.

Here's a little more food for thought...

The Dweeze

The Stunt Guitarist

BTW, ZPZ is coming around again but without Vai or Bozzio.

I like bass players better anyway. Mike Watt? I'll take a rippin' Whisperin' While Hollerin' solo over most tappers any day of the week.

What can be romantic to mike watt?

He's only a skeleton

His body is a series of points

No height, length, or width

In his joints he feels life

His strongest connection between the yelling and the sleep

Pain is the toughest riddle

He's chalk, he's a dartboard

His sex is disease

He's a stop sign!!!

Double Nickels is easily one of the greatest albums of all time. An American original.

And while we're on bass players, how about a shout out for Les Claypool. . .saw him live on the Frizzle Fry tour about 15 years ago. . .playing a 6 string fretless, singing and dancing around like an idiot all at once. . .just jaw-dropping.

:D

Pink Floyd "One of These days"

Outlaws "Green grass and High tides"

Rainbow "Man on a Silver Mountain"

Lesly West "Mississippi Queen"

Most all Van Halen, love some of the stuff off Diver Down and Mean Streets

Tom Morello is a friggin' brilliant guitarist so love his stuff with Rage or Audioslave

Santana "Open Invitation"

Jeff Beck "Guitar Shop"

Ten Years After "I'd love to change the World"

The Who: anything off of Who's Next

Stone in love or Anyway You Want It - Neil Schon, Journey. I remember this guy could RIP! I saw him live in the ealry 80s and he could jam with anyone.

I must say, my favorite Neil Schon solo is the one for Send Her My Love. Not a lot of notes, but oozing with feeling.

I'm with TimC...I love me some Hall & Oates Van Halen.

There are, of course, others...I've never liked Jimmy Page as much because his solos to me sounded real choppy. Zakk Wylde, Vinny Moore, Brian May, Vai, Eric Johnson (especially, the cleanest guitarist I've ever heard), Satriani, etc.

Outlaws "Green grass and High tides"

Thanks, Hugh! The Outlaws were fantastic in their old days. They would go with 3 leads at once. Alot of their early stuff sounded country but man those boys could jam. Knoxville Girl has a wicked jam in it as well as South Carolina.

Alex Lifeson of Rush could jam. Just listen to their debut album. Two cuts off of that album that have excellent jams are Before And After and Here Again. I was challenged to a fight in 9th grade by a dude that was alot bigger than me. I was paranoid about it but didn't want to be known as a wuss, so I psyched myself up by listenin to Before And After. Needless to say I was fearless. I took my lumps but got the better of the dude in the end and gained much respect all thanks to a Rush song. :D

Someone else mentioned Michael Schenker of UFO. I have never heard anyone play the guitar faster than this one solo he does on a song called Reasons Love off of the No Heavy Petting CD. Simply incredible!

Oh...I love Van Halen's Drop Dead Legs, as well as Eruption, and one of his that I think got lost in the shuffle is One Foot Out The Door. I think Van Halen has some great riffs though...Ain't Talkin' Bout Love being probably my favorite.

A guy that simply never got any props was Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult. Listen to Dominance and Submission off the Secret Treaties CD. Awesome solo.

Excellent call.

What about Ronny Montrose. Wasn't there a cut called Space Station #5 or something? Bad Motor Scooter was a trip.

I actually saw Montrose w/ Gamma and Shenker w/ UFO open for Cheap Trick (way) back in the day. Both were far better than Cheap Trick. :D

Ten Years After "I'd love to change the World"

Was wondering if anyone was going to mention "The Fastest Guitar in the West". LOL The album "Recorded Live" is must have if you like guitar at all. At least IMHO. Alvin Lee can flat out motor and that has to please those that require long guitar solos.

Yeah, Eruption is a monster, but back in high school I knew 3 kids who (after years of trying) could play it note for note. I ain't ever heard anyone play Hot for Teacher verbatum.

One of my friends was asked to learn the Hot for Teacher solo in about his third year of guitar lessons. I don't think it's THAT difficult.

Viola Lee Blues is one of the best, yet unheard Dead songs.

The best "melt-your-face" rock soloist is Trey Anastasio from Phish. It's hard to pick just one song - the overall "shredding" factor is incredible. He can rip jazz licks then transition into a heavy-metal style lick then finish it all with some nice major-key cartoon speed solo preceded by nice bluegrass stuff. Mid 90s Phish just shreds for guitar soloing.

Oh...I love Van Halen's Drop Dead Legs, as well as Eruption, and one of his that I think got lost in the shuffle is One Foot Out The Door. I think Van Halen has some great riffs though...Ain't Talkin' Bout Love being probably my favorite.

Yep. Eddie's riffs are legendary. Unchained is probably my fave.

Too bad alcohol ruined his life. :D

Was wondering if anyone was going to mention "The Fastest Guitar in the West". LOL The album "Recorded Live" is must have if you like guitar at all. At least IMHO. Alvin Lee can flat out motor and that has to please those that require long guitar solos.

Standing at the Station from TYA's Rock'n'Roll Music To The World also has some great guitar work.

Viola Lee Blues is one of the best, yet unheard Dead songs.

Yup they did not play it often in concerts ...kid posted a link to it in an earlier post on this thread ...amazing song

One of my favorite songs ( many versions of it have come out and played by many artists ) which has some great guitar playing , is stormy monday by the allman brothers

Gonna toss one out here that always seemed to stick with me even though I don't know the guitarist. The solo from Flirtin' With Disaster by Molly Hatchet.