[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am TORN!

In my local, we do a modified keeper; a player can only be kept for one year and then goes back into the pool. 12 teams, each have the option of keeping one player from the prior year. You pay their auction value from the prior year plus $5. It's a $300 cap, 14 player auction. No PPR, performance scoring. TE's and WR's are the R position. Always start 1 QB, 1 K, 1 DEF and the remaining 5 players can be 2 RB, 3 R or 3 RB, 2 R or 1 RB, 4 R.

This off-season, I traded away Brees and DeAngelo Williams for $20 and Michael Turner for $9, giving me a $329 cap (we can trade up to $400 in the off season ). I then acquired Steven Jackson for $30 plus his keeper value of $93. This left me with $206. I named him my keeper. Once all teams named their leepers, I acquired Travis Henry for $30. This leaves me with SJax and Henry as my 1-2 and $176 to spend.

Now my brother (who is in my division; we play 2x) and owns Bush (his cap remaining is $265), has offered me $135 for SJax. I'd be at $311. As far as money goes, I'd then be third: one owner is at $333 with no keepers, another is at $324 with MJD, and then I would have Henry with $311.

I love my backfield but know there is great value at the RB spot this year. The two guys ahead of me would blow their cash on LT /LJ/Gore, so I'd be top guy cash-wise...but without my stud SJax. Other keepers: Addai, MBIII, Gates, Thomas Jones, Maroney, Brees, Turner, Westy.

Thoughts?

Edited by The Wolf

I have no experience in auction leagues but I don't understand you wanting to trade SJax to someone in your division who already has Reggie Bush. I don't understand those other keepers but like I said with no auction experience it is tough for me.

The question you have to ask is can you replace SJax production with the money you will receive for him and will your team be better off without him. Do you get to keep another player if you trade him?

Good luck, but I wouldn't trade him unless I got a lot more money and knew I could get LT/LJ/Gore in the auction.

Yeah I am not seeing the potential value in having a big wallet. There won't be anything there you can't afford. I'd say keep SJ (the consensus #2 RB) and roll with a little less cash.

In my local, we do a modified keeper; a player can only be kept for one year and then goes back into the pool. 12 teams, each have the option of keeping one player from the prior year. You pay their auction value from the prior year plus $5. It's a $300 cap, 14 player auction. No PPR, performance scoring. TE's and WR's are the R position. Always start 1 QB, 1 K, 1 DEF and the remaining 5 players can be 2 RB, 3 R or 3 RB, 2 R or 1 RB, 4 R.

This off-season, I traded away Brees and DeAngelo Williams for $20 and Michael Turner for $9, giving me a $329 cap (we can trade up to $400 in the off season ). I then acquired Steven Jackson for $30 plus his keeper value of $93. This left me with $206. I named him my keeper. Once all teams named their leepers, I acquired Travis Henry for $30. This leaves me with SJax and Henry as my 1-2 and $176 to spend.

Now my brother (who is in my division; we play 2x) and owns Bush (his cap remaining is $265), has offered me $135 for SJax. I'd be at $311. As far as money goes, I'd then be third: one owner is at $333 with no keepers, another is at $324 with MJD, and then I would have Henry with $311.

I love my backfield but know there is great value at the RB spot this year. The two guys ahead of me would blow their cash on LT /LJ/Gore, so I'd be top guy cash-wise...but without my stud SJax. Other keepers: Addai, MBIII, Gates, Thomas Jones, Maroney, Brees, Turner, Westy.

Thoughts?

Well its alot to take in, but I actually like your idea. Simply put giving your brother S.Jax would cripple his team. Basically he would live and die by what Bush and SJax do. I don't see a huge downside on this divisional trade. I think it would set you up nicely to make a run at grabbing 3-4 quality running backs (top producers in no ppr Perf. leagues). With Henry and the cash you could definitely target some upside producers like Parker, Rudi, Benson, McGahee and also grab some nice top tier wr to give you a killer 3 RB, 2WR combo for your starters. I think the guy with the most cash has to make a play at a top running like LT, but the 3rd cash guy could easily make a play like you to really have some depth and a killer starting lineup. I really like S.Jax but I would make the move based off the limited keeper list you have shown here. Just my opinion though. :D

You have Henry & Jackson & $176 to spend in a $300 cap league?

There's no way I trade off Jackson. Sure, you'd kill your bothers cap number, but there's something to be said in FF for running 2 strong to studly RBs, so long as it doesn't decimate you finacially.

I'd stand pat if I were you & wait for the top 5 WRs to go off the board at hefty prices, and then dive in. You're looking to be in very good shape with your team being built around this corps, and if Henry performs you'll be able to recoup cap space next year by selling off either Jackson or Henry.

While I thik Def. makes some solid points about hurting your brothers overall team, that is just one team.

Overall, I think you are better off heading into the auction with your top 2 RBs set with SJax and Henry. As BB said, I would sit back when the big names fly around early at inflated prices (those top RBs and the upper tier 1 WRs like Smith, Chad Johnson, etc.), which should get you to a point of having two strong RBs and being in fairly solid financial shape when the real meat of the auction comes around (the lower tier 1 WRs/upper tier2 guys and the available tier 2/3 RBs) that would fill out the core of your starting lineup. I would focus my cash on those spots, and not overspend on a top tier QB. I probably also avoide overspending on a TE unless you somehow get the opportunity to get one of the 3-4 elite ones at a discount price if the other teams have way overspent.

To be completely candid though, my auction experience is limited to one league that I hav been involved in, but our rules include contracts, etc. so the keeper decisions are as much based on that as the cost of players. But, I think you will be making your best bet to win the league by holding onto SJax and pairing him with Henry as a potent 1-2 RB punch

Personally, I don't like the idea of making your team better by making your brother's worse. Sure, you may tie his hands on cash, but there will always be sleepers that outperform their ADP/auction value.

I think Jackson and Henry plus a good amount of cap space is a nice start. I'd go that direction.

Edited by Fatman

I would just like to clarify that my point was not that you would screw your brother and thats a good reason to make the trade. My point was that your brother would screw himself financially because of the trade, which means little downside on trading with the division rival (other then losing SJax.)

Now I would consider it because I think it would be feasible that you could build a roster of 3 Quality RB (not Studs btw) and 2 Stud Wideouts. I would imagine that you could do something like Henry, Parker, & R. Johnson (RB) and S.Smith, Driver (WR). Obviously it all depends on the auction, but when you have cash you can pick and choose your battles as I'm sure you know. Cautiously bid others up, and spending the cash on the players you want. I guess its all on what you want to do.

Now if you plan to build for depth I think its a good deal. If you plan to go after Tomlinson, L. Johnson, or maybe even Gore, then the trade is bad move. Specially since the other 2 high teams definitely should be going after 1 of those 3. All depends on your style. Just my thoughts again (cause I know this isn't a popular opinion)

Edit for typos

Edited by Def.

Fellas, thank you for the input.

Sound strategies, BB and BC. I refused the trade. With nearly 60% of my cap to spend on my remaining 12 players, I am in fine shape. In an auction, you always want to be the guy with the most cash and I lost sight of the primary objective...building a team around players who score. I have two top guys in the fold now so there is no need to make a move.

I'll be patient, price enforce so others spend more of their cap dollars, and then make my moves using information above.

Personally, I don't like the idea of making your team better by making your brother's worse. Sure, you may tie his hands on cash, but there will always be sleepers that outperform their ADP/auction value.

Not to mention he'll still have SJax and Henry - in at least two of my leagues, teams with no RB depth made the title game due to the great week-to-week performances of LJ, LT, and SJax.

I'd like to say get rid of SJax and go after Addai or Westy...and then bolster another area.....

but the truth is...I'd sit tight with Jackson because of the room you have left as-is....

with the current backfield you have now and still 176 left...that is unreal..

maybe I am not clear with what all is going on - but I would keep S Jax.

This is the type of player you kill for. He (like LT) might as well fill two roster spots because that is how he will produce. T Henry is nice - but scarey.

No way would I want to face my brother-in-law twice a year with SJax and Bush. If you make this trade you might find the leagues other owners (and TimC - he never misses a good running out of town) at your door with pitchforks and torches...