[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you think food should be labeled according to its country of origin?

wiegie

What do you think?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think food should be labeled according to its country of origin?

• yes
    • no
    • before I answer, let me check to see how my political party of choice feels about this question so that I can give the right answer

Pretty much with any non-food product you buy, you will see a "made in where-ever" label on it somewhere. This is not this case with most foods (seafood being the main exception).

Do you think that a regulation should be passed to require "country of origin" labels on food and beverages?

Pretty much with any non-food product you buy, you will see a "made in where-ever" label on it somewhere. This is not this case with most foods (seafood being the main exception).

Do you think that a regulation should be passed to require "country of origin" labels on food and beverages?

I don't see why not.

I am completely for this. I also am completely for buying as much from as close to your home as you can. It is better on so many levels. Money stays in your community, perishables are typically fresher, less energy is wasted shipping things all over the world, you have more certainty over what is in it...

Around here there is a program called Eat Local Triangle. For a month, participating restaurants feature at least one item using "completely" local ingredients. The quotes are because you are allowed a little slack for things like spices and such. Basically, all the meat, dairy, starches, and veggies need to be from within 200 miles of the area. They would have made it closer but wanted to include seafood from the NC coast. We did a 3 course menu each night featuring such and still continue to focus on as much local meat and veggies as possible.

Do you really actively attempt to do this? I don't but couldn't imagine being successful if I tried.

Absolutely. I'm in the manufacturing industry and we're losing tons of work to China, so it has a very negative effect on my business, so I pay very close attention when purchasing anything making sure I am not supporting those that are hurting my wallet.

Absolutely. I'm in the manufacturing industry and we're losing tons of work to China, so it has a very negative effect on my business, so I pay very close attention when purchasing anything making sure I am not supporting those that are hurting my wallet.

So it's not really a China bias but an 'any country outside the U.S.' bias, no?

A somewhat related question, are you a nudist?

So it's not really a China bias but an 'any country outside the U.S.' bias, no?

A somewhat related question, are you a nudist?

No, it's 100% a China bias. And I do lie naked in my backyard on occasion, but only when the neighbors are around.

I don't think the reason most items show country of origin is to educate consumers on that. It's more political. Apparel comes to mind and the textile and apparel industry have historically had very strong lobby's in D.C. With all the trade agreements, quota's etc. each country has origin requirements to ensure they are getting the duty they 'deserve'. Maybe there hasn't been as much protectionism in the food industry :D

Edited by Puddy

without China I wouldnt be in business....people complain as it is about the cost of items and as much as I would love to have our products made here I cant(mainly because there arent any plants here but you know what I mean)....I am however having a local seamstress make us replica colonial outfits but that is going to be on a very small scale and they will unfortunately have to be priced accordingly

+1 :D