[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How Many Rounds for a draft

gbpfan1231

What do you guys suggest for a number of rounds for a 12 team league. Our draft is changing the number of rounds this year and I don't agree with it.

We start QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, K, Team Def (8 total).

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

We have 9 starters and 8 reserves - so we draft 17 players/rounds to fill out the roster. Some years, if the draft is way too long, we stop at 16 and give everyone 1 free ADD.

The number of slots is normally around double the number of starters regardless of the league size, so around 16 would work.

I agree. I'm in a 15 round and that isn't enough. It does invite strategy and improves waiver pools somewhat but I think a minimum of 16 is good. I would say 16-18.

How active do you want the waiver wire to be?

Use a rule of thumb of double the required number of starters, and work from there.

If you want your waiver wire to be active, reduce the rosters by a player or two from that doubling. Be forewarned that you may see drastic swings in team strength distribution throughout the season, because viable starters will always be available throughout the season, and owners can't handcuff their best players with reduced rosters. I would strongly suggest a blind bidding WW system with reduced rosters so that distribution of FAs is more equitable.

If you want more secure rosters and less WW activity, increase the doubled number by a player or two. It won't kill WW activity, but owners will be able to protect studs with handcuffs in a couple of cases, meaning more savvy FF owners will be better rewarded during their drafts. This also encourages owners to take a flyer or two with later round selections.

How active do you want the waiver wire to be?

Use a rule of thumb of double the required number of starters, and work from there.

If you want your waiver wire to be active, reduce the rosters by a player or two from that doubling. Be forewarned that you may see drastic swings in team strength distribution throughout the season, because viable starters will always be available throughout the season, and owners can't handcuff their best players with reduced rosters. I would strongly suggest a blind bidding WW system with reduced rosters so that distribution of FAs is more equitable.

If you want more secure rosters and less WW activity, increase the doubled number by a player or two. It won't kill WW activity, but owners will be able to protect studs with handcuffs in a couple of cases, meaning more savvy FF owners will be better rewarded during their drafts. This also encourages owners to take a flyer or two with later round selections.

Valid points. This is how my league views it. We are a 12 team league and allow 14 roster spots. We don't have a mandatory TE spot but start 3 WR instead. We want an active waiver wire during the season. We also wanted to prevent teams from hoarding runningbacks. With the onslaught of RBBCs this seems to be somewhat less of a valid argument now. All-in-all though, we want owners to keep participating throughout the season and by keeping the roster size lower this seems to work. A team decimated by a key injury or two isn't necessarily relegated to the sidelines for the rest of the season and can try to bounce back through a somewhat fruitful waiver wire.

Edited by Crispy