[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blind Bid vs Last to First Waivers

Ok so it seems like blind waivers is better here the only problem I foresee is the injury bug to one team. LT goes down and he has to bid big to get the back up, then for some god forsaken reason he has another player hurt. Is there a way to avoid this one guy due to bad luck basically giving up due to the fact he did not bid enough or have enough money to bid on that second player?

Ok so it seems like blind waivers is better here the only problem I foresee is the injury bug to one team. LT goes down and he has to bid big to get the back up, then for some god forsaken reason he has another player hurt. Is there a way to avoid this one guy due to bad luck basically giving up due to the fact he did not bid enough or have enough money to bid on that second player?

That's the breaks of the game.

If he is a quitter like that because of some tough breaks, you don't want him in the league anyway.

Yeah, it's called handcuffing. Good owners protect their studs. Bad owners get to pay through the roof bidding for the backup because they didn't handcuff their top dog when they had the chance.

Yeah, it's called handcuffing. Good owners protect their studs. Bad owners get to pay through the roof bidding for the backup because they didn't handcuff their top dog when they had the chance.

And real savvy owners snag other peoples handcuffs before they do so they can trade them to them at a premium....

You do realize that the worst to first idea is very common in professional sports. Why in the world should the Raiders be allowed to pick first in the draft this year? Just because their team is inept, it's unfair to the Colts that they were allowed to have the first pick. You sound like a proponent of complete free agency, not waiver wires.

Major league baseball uses a worst to first system for clearing waivers.

You make it sound like it's an absurd idea but it has been embraced for years by sports for years. :D

Oh and I agree that BB is more fun. Just saying, there is some logic to worst to first.

You're talking apples and oranges. You can't compare and use the same rule/s for Fantasy Football that are used in pro football or other sports. Why don't we just throw out the serpentine draft and keep letting the same owner pick first in every round? Cause it doesn't make sense in FantasyLand, that's why. Just like using worst to first shouldn't be the chosen method for adding FAs.

Damn right I am!

:D

I read Puddy's line and before I even read yours I knew a comment would be coming from you. :wacko:

You're talking apples and oranges. You can't compare and use the same rule/s for Fantasy Football that are used in pro football or other sports. Why don't we just throw out the serpentine draft and keep letting the same owner pick first in every round? Cause it doesn't make sense in FantasyLand, that's why. Just like using worst to first shouldn't be the chosen method for adding FAs.

I read Puddy's line and before I even read yours I knew a comment would be coming from you. :D

some leagues do..... goes back to what bc was saying before.... what is better for particular leagues?

i am in a variety of leagues that do things differently. my preference is ww/fcfs...not because i am lazy or don't want to put thought into it, but because it touches directly on the way i view fairness. going on the assumption that teams haven't reached appathy (if so, they likely won't pick up players anyway), i don not believe that it is most fair to allow the best team an equal chance as the worst team to attain the most desirable unclaimed players. i see it as rich getting richer and poor getting poorer.

Why don't we just throw out the serpentine draft and keep letting the same owner pick first in every round? Cause it doesn't make sense in FantasyLand, that's why.

I can't believe you would even consider a serpentine draft? How in the world is it fair that Puddy got LT with the first pick because he had a higher dice roll. Everyone should have the same chance at LT. Therefore you should only participate in auction leauges. :D

Edited by Puddy

some leagues do..... goes back to what bc was saying before.... what is better for particular leagues?

i am in a variety of leagues that do things differently. my preference is ww/fcfs...not because i am lazy or don't want to put thought into it, but because it touches directly on the way i view fairness. going on the assumption that teams haven't reached appathy (if so, they likely won't pick up players anyway), i don not believe that it is most fair to allow the best team an equal chance as the worst team to attain the most desirable unclaimed players. i see it as rich getting richer and poor getting poorer.

Maybe it's just the bad memories I have of being in one of my local leagues years ago when things weren't online. The Commish would said WW opens at 7:00 on Wed night, FCFS. I'd call at 7:00 on my clock and he's say oh it's only 6:58 on mine then I'd call 2 minutes later and he'd say someone just picked him up right before you. I asked who and he'd say his brother. :D What a sham they were running. Anywho to each is own, I guess. Whatever makes it more fun and enjoyable for each league is cool with me.

I can't believe you would even consider a serpentine draft? How in the world is it fair that Puddy got LT with the first pick because he had a higher dice roll. Everyone should have the same chance at LT. Therefore you should only participate in auction leauges. :D

Maybe I should do that as it would be the fairest way. Thanks Puddy.

Maybe it's just the bad memories I have of being in one of my local leagues years ago when things weren't online. The Commish would said WW opens at 7:00 on Wed night, FCFS. I'd call at 7:00 on my clock and he's say oh it's only 6:58 on mine then I'd call 2 minutes later and he'd say someone just picked him up right before you. I asked who and he'd say his brother. :D What a sham they were running. Anywho to each is own, I guess. Whatever makes it more fun and enjoyable for each league is cool with me.

sounds like you guys went straight into fcfs free agency...... which i am not crazy about. it shouldn't be a mad dash for the most desirable players at a given time. i prefer having a waiver period where you submit your add/drops, then it gets processed serpentine (w-to-f; then f-to-w, etc) at a certain time. then after ww, a fcfs fa until kickoff. your shady commish certainly tainted your experience with it, but that is not the way a typical ww worst to first works.

irish -

Have you considered seeking counseling?

Have you ever played in a league with a true waiver period followed by the FCFS period? It sounds like from all you have posted in this thread and in some of the threads for other leagues that you haven't yet you are so vehemently oppossed to it.

FCFS right away is far and away the most "unfair" system as it rewards those who have constant computer access and penalizes those who have something in their lives (a job, family, etc.) that preclude them from hovering at their computer constantly refreshing the ESPN home page for any potential tidbit.

Blind bid is a fun way and probably the most challenging and gives the biggest advantage to the more savvy owners. A good method for a very competitive league.

Open bid is another good method that lends itself to different strategies than a blind bid. You have bid ploys where an owner may try to bid up a player another owner wants, etc. or you need to try put up a player you think is not on anyone elses radar so you can snag them cheaply.

WW/FCFS is great for a competitve league or a more casual league. IT is also good IMO for a dynasty/keeper league where owners are in it for the long term and in the sense of pushing towards league parity, the worst team should get first crack at free agents. Savvy owners still have an advantage if they are wiseenough to pick up the up and coming players a week or two before they are on everyone's radar. This is also why most keeper/dynasty leagues have draft order based on order of finish (though I am a proponent of a lottery for the bottom x number of teams to dissuade tanking)

Worst to first is a horrible way to do it as bad teams should not be given first crack at making their team better just because they're bad. Blind-bidding is the way to go as it is the fairest. Everyone has an equal shot at all FAs.

I agree 100% with what he said. Iwill not play in a league with the "worst to first" free agency! Yea, let's reward the owners who didn't draft well :D

The way my league does it is we have a 24 hour blind bid process where everyone can bid on any player anywhere from $2.00 to $20.00, high bidder wins. Then beginning at 7:00 am on Wdnesday morning it turns in to a FCFS system for the rest of the week. The blind bid system works great and builds our free agency money to where we are able to pay the team with the high score of the week at least $50.00 every week ($850.00 for the season) Everyone in our league loves this system!