[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Perseid meteor shower peaks tonight

myhousekey

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/home/8935687.html

August is the best month overall to view meteors from the Northern Hemisphere, according to Robert Lunsford, operations manager of the American Meteor Society. And conditions are ideal this year because the Perseid meteor shower peaks on the new-Moon night of Sunday–Monday, August 12–13.

The Perseids are one of the two strongest and most reliable annual meteor showers. (The other is December's Geminids.) And while some showers produce brief bursts lasting just a few hours, the Perseids have a broad peak. So don't despair if clouds are forecast for Sunday night — or if work obligations prevent you from staying up until dawn on Monday. Even now, a week before the peak, you can see up to a dozen Perseids per hour if conditions are perfect. That's stronger than some meteor showers at their best!

The meteor rate increases to roughly 30 per hour in the predawn hours on Saturday, 45 per hour on Sunday morning, and 80 per hour before the sky starts to get light on Monday morning. That's for a single observer at a dark-sky site in the north temperate latitudes.

On any given night, activity starts slowly in the evening but picks up by 11 p.m., when the radiant gets reasonably high in the sky. The meteor rate increases steadily through the night as the radiant rises higher, peaking just before the sky starts to get light, roughly 1½ to 2 hours before sunrise.

Just saw a huge meteor fly thru the sky. I've seen lots of "shooting stars" in the past but this one definitely took me by surprise with how bright it was and how long it streaked across the sky. Hopefully as the night goes on (and the light pollution dies down) the show will be even better.

Edit: The ones I've seen were going from east to west...

Edited by myhousekey

just saw one or two.... nothing unusual though.

did see a light go accross the sky... didn't seem like a plane.

edit: so far the ones i've seen are coming from the west...how about you?

Edited by Bier Meister

started to see more of them.. some with decent sized tails... the ones i am seeing are going east to west.

a fricking neighbor who isn't there has their porch light on.

Edited by Bier Meister

I was hoping to catch some on the camera last nite, similar to the northern lights i did last year. It may be cool to do long exposures with the streaks across the sky and lake michigan in the background. I was out about an hour but saw nothing from 1-2am. If its clear i mat try again tonight or early am

Edited by Cunning Linguist

Went out Tues AM (about 1:45 AM EST) and saw 6 in about 20 mins. - one real nice reddish streak & fairly wide. The more amazing thing was just the number of stars you could see in the sky - it was difficult to pick out the major constellations with all the stars - really nice look at the Milky Way.

Went back out again at 5 AM - saw 3 more.

Didn't go out last night, but might try again tonight if we don't get rain.