[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

digital cameras?

detlef

Olumpus Stylus SW. Might be a little more than $300, but not much.

7.1 mega pixel, good picks, and most importantly (if you get the newest model), waterproof to 30' and shockproof from 5'. Can take pics underwater. Very small. Good LCD screen (no viewfinder, though).

The zoom isn't great, but it's okay for a point and shoot.

check out the reviews on stevesdigicams.com

Olumpus Stylus SW. Might be a little more than $300, but not much.

7.1 mega pixel, good picks, and most importantly (if you get the newest model), waterproof to 30' and shockproof from 5'. Can take pics underwater. Very small. Good LCD screen (no viewfinder, though).

The zoom isn't great, but it's okay for a point and shoot.

check out the reviews on stevesdigicams.com

Just looked this up at bestbuy.com. Looks like $379.00. You take this camera underwater??? I am heading to South Africa and doing a shark cage dive and it sounds like this may be perfect???

thanks for the info.

Just looked this up at bestbuy.com. Looks like $379.00. You take this camera underwater??? I am heading to South Africa and doing a shark cage dive and it sounds like this may be perfect???

thanks for the info.

Checkout the warranty. I read where it's advertised to take underwater shots, but the warranty won't cover damage from underwater use, mainly because there is no way of telling how deep the camera went when it sprung a leak.

I am heading to South Africa and doing a shark cage dive and it sounds like this may be perfect???

thanks for the info.

Are you frickin' serious? That is AWESOME!!! The wife and I have been talking about doing this for some time now but haven't heard much about it. Take a ton of pics and post them here. :D

Checkout the warranty. I read where it's advertised to take underwater shots, but the warranty won't cover damage from underwater use, mainly because there is no way of telling how deep the camera went when it sprung a leak.

I would imagine that if you bought it at a reputable store (ie. not best buy), that this would not be an issue...most stores would rather replace the merchandise than have an issue.

I bought a Canon PowerShot SD 450 a couple of years ago off of E-Bay (unused) for about $300 and have been very impressed with its picture quality and durability. I believe that the newer PowerShots have gone down in price and you should be able to get one with 7 MP and 4x optical zoom (16x total) for < $300.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I have a Kodak easyshare Z-something or other and I would definitely NOT recommend it. It works great in bright sunlight, but try to use it indoors or at night and it is completely worthless. Spent about $275 on it about two years ago. Wouldn't give you $20 for it if I only knew.

Any of the Canon Powershot series is a great buy. Don't get all pulled into "megapixels". They try to sell you on higher and higher numbers, but for everyday pics, you can save a lot of money by going 5 or 6 (model numbers begin with A and are followed by something like 510 or 630) instead of 10 megapixels and be 100% happy.

I bought a powershot two years ago with 3.2 megapixels, and regularly put new photos on my desktop, take pictures for work, vacation, etc. They look great. Canon software is really easy to use. The cameras take normal AA batteries. They have optical zooms. You should be able to get one for around $200 including a bigger memory card.

I know two other people who have similar models (including a 62 yo non-techie) and they love the cameras too.

I bought a Canon PowerShot SD 450 a couple of years ago off of E-Bay (unused) for about $300 and have been very impressed with its picture quality and durability. I believe that the newer PowerShots have gone down in price and you should be able to get one with 7 MP and 4x optical zoom (16x total) for < $300.

Canon Powershot (or whatever it's called now). Reasonably priced, great pics, and the little "movie" feature also includes sound - not sure how it is now, but a few years ago when I bought mine, that was extremely rare.

I think I'm leaning this way right now

I bought a powershot two years ago with 3.2 megapixels, and regularly put new photos on my desktop, take pictures for work, vacation, etc. They look great.
About sums it up for me. FWIW I also read something (in Consumer Rpts I think) that said basically anything over 6 megas is overkill and rarely if ever will you notice a diff between that and those w/more. Hell I can't tell a diff between mine and those.

About sums it up for me. FWIW I also read something (in Consumer Rpts I think) that said basically anything over 6 megas is overkill and rarely if ever will you notice a diff between that and those w/more. Hell I can't tell a diff between mine and those.

My wife is an ex-photographer so when I first started looking at cameras a few years ago I was looking at all of these high end billion pixel cameras with all the fancy zooms and f-stops. She slapped me upside the head and told me they were a waste of money unless I planned on getting into the business. :D

We bought the sony slim shot camera for $400 and haven't had an issue yet. Point and click.

My wife is an ex-photographer so when I first started looking at cameras a few years ago I was looking at all of these high end billion pixel cameras with all the fancy zooms and f-stops. She slapped me upside the head and told me they were a waste of money unless I planned on getting into the business. :D

well, the extra megapixels are nice if you want to make prints larger than 4x6, and, more importantly, if you've got the optics to take advantage. so like on an SLR, i don't think you'd really want less than 10mp. but on a point-and-shoot, i can't see why you'd really want MORE than 6-8mp.

Check 'em out on newegg.com. They've come down in price even further than I thought.

newegg

Thanks for the link. I've been looking to upgrade so that I could do some amateur wildlife photography, but don't have the disposable income for a mid-range digital SLR ($1,000+). However, the S5 IS (12x optical zoom, 48x total :D ) at $435 looks like it may be a viable option.

Thanks for the link. I've been looking to upgrade so that I could do some amateur wildlife photography, but don't have the disposable income for a mid-range digital SLR ($1,000+). However, the S5 IS (12x optical zoom, 48x total :D ) at $435 looks like it may be a viable option.

Man, if it had RAW support, that camera is very competitive w/ an SLR.

one of those super-zoom point&shoots is right up your alley then. like this bad boy.