[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SUPERBAD

TDFFFreak

Saw this movie last night. For those that don't know, it's about 3 awkward highschool seniors trying to score some booze for some girls so they can get laid. By the same group (although different director) that brought you 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up.

40 Year Old Virgin is still tops for me, but this movie comes in a close second followed by Knocked Up. Some of the jokes are hit and miss, but overall this film straddles the line between funny and just wrong (in a good way). Maybe I related to this film a bit too much, but it was a lot of fun. Go in with expectations of a high school comedy with good laughs, but don't search for any real deep meaning to it. I think many of you Huddlers should like this one.

I'm giving this film an A-.

P.S. Not for the kids. I wouldn't let any child under the age of 14 see this film.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Saw this movie last night. For those that don't know, it's about 3 awkward highschool seniors trying to score some booze for some girls so they can get laid. By the same group (although different director) that brought you 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up.

40 Year Old Virgin is still tops for me, but this movie comes in a close second followed by Knocked Up. Some of the jokes are hit and miss, but overall this film straddles the line between funny and just wrong (in a good way). Maybe I related to this film a bit too much, but it was a lot of fun. Go in with expectations of a high school comedy with good laughs, but don't search for any real deep meaning to it. I think many of you Huddlers should like this one.

I'm giving this film an A-.

P.S. Not for the kids. I wouldn't let any child under the age of 14 see this film.

It has received outstanding reviews by both critics and movie watchers. My 14 year old son wants to see this movie "Super Bad" (badaboom). What in it is bad? My understanding is that it sets some record for crude language, but what else is in there other than the bad language? Some critics thought the movie would become a classic, that it was American Pie only with "heart".

It has received outstanding reviews by both critics and movie watchers. My 14 year old son wants to see this movie "Super Bad" (badaboom). What in it is bad? My understanding is that it sets some record for crude language, but what else is in there other than the bad language? Some critics thought the movie would become a classic, that it was American Pie only with "heart".

I guess I'll put a SPOILER ALERT here, even though it's tough to spoil comedy - if you type "then a guy gets hit in the face with a pie" is isn't funny, it's in the execution.

Let's see, from what I recall:

- yeah, there's is more than enough crude language to satisfy the needs of a 3rd world country. F-bombs aplenty

- there's a scene where Seth talks about his grade-school compulsion to draw pictures of dicks - compete with various drawings of dicks. More dick drawings run over the closing credits, and they are absolutely hilarious (the Mr T dick and Tiananmen Square dicks were awesome). I can understand not wanting your 14 y/o to see it though.

- the guys go to an "older" party where there is plenty of drug use - oh, and a gross incident involving a woman's period

- the guys DO get some action - lots of references to blow jobs and some comical sex scenes with no nudity. All 3 of the principal females are over 18 so don't feel guilty about your lust (because they are HOT).

As far as whether or not you want YOUR 14 y/o to see it, you know your kid better than I do.

I don't think much of what is in here would have been out of my wheelhouse at 14; for some kids it would be a VERY bad idea. And I think many parents would have a tough time sitting through the movie with their 14 year old, even if the kid is worldly enough to know EXACTLY what is going on.

The period blood at the party was pretty funny and, hey, it's natural. I don't really want to have to explain that to any of my children thanks to a movie...

As some said earlier, a 14 year old probably knows much of what's in this movie, but that may be pushing it. I think I'd personally set the bar somewhere around 15 or 16, but then again I may be fooling myself.

Most adults can enjoy this movie though.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I guess I'll put a SPOILER ALERT here, even though it's tough to spoil comedy -

if you type "then a guy gets hit in the face with a pie" is isn't funny, it's in the execution.

Let's see, from what I recall:

- yeah, there's is more than enough crude language to satisfy the needs of a 3rd world country. F-bombs aplenty

- there's a scene where Seth talks about his grade-school compulsion to draw pictures of dicks - compete with various drawings of dicks. More dick drawings run over the closing credits, and they are absolutely hilarious (the Mr T dick and Tiananmen Square dicks were awesome). I can understand not wanting your 14 y/o to see it though.

- the guys go to an "older" party where there is plenty of drug use - oh, and a gross incident involving a woman's period

- the guys DO get some action - lots of references to blow jobs and some comical sex scenes with no nudity. All 3 of the principal females are over 18 so don't feel guilty about your lust (because they are HOT).

:D

Very funny, laughed out loud on plenty of occasions.

Definitely way over the top for young teenagers......even if they know what it's all about I wouldn't want to endorse the frivolous outlook on sex and relationships by taking my young child/teenager to see it. :D

When we were leaving there was a woman walking out with two young girls probably around 12 years old :D

Definitely recommend it though :wacko:

Definitely way over the top for young teenagers......even if they know what it's all about I wouldn't want to endorse the frivolous outlook on sex and relationships by taking my young child/teenager to see it.

Ah, but the resolution nicely undercuts the frivolous (more accurately "immature") outlook on male-female relations presented throughout the film.

Ah, but the resolution nicely undercuts the frivolous (more accurately "immature") outlook on male-female relations presented throughout the film.

True but I still think the in your face raunchiness is too much for still developing minds and sends the wrong message...whether or not in the end it turns out that the right decisions are made the over the top content, although friggin hilarious, are crossing the line for young ones.

True but I still think the in your face raunchiness is too much for still developing minds and sends the wrong message...whether or not in the end it turns out that the right decisions are made the over the top content, although friggin hilarious, are crossing the line for young ones.

Yeah. I think with adult eyes we can see the message by movie's end, but less developed, more immature minds might soley focus on the getting booze and getting laid aspect. I like having a daughter just a little less after seeing this movie. Purely out of fear about young boys' intentions and the dangers of impared judgement thanks to consuming alcohol... :D

Yeah. I think with adult eyes we can see the message by movie's end, but less developed, more immature minds might soley focus on the getting booze and getting laid aspect. I like having a daughter just a little less after seeing this movie. Purely out of fear about young boys' intentions and the dangers of impared judgement thanks to consuming alcohol... :D

I was interrupted while typing my last post and that was supposed to be the main point I was going to make :D Thanks!

Oh yeah and I agree on the having daughter thing.

I wouldn't argue that point at all.

Just trying to cut off anyone who might say that the movie has no redeeming aspects.

Well, brought my 14 and 1/2 year old son to see it much to his delight.

Okay, everyone was right on the mark with their comments.

It was peppered with tons of F-bombs and just about any other term you might hear in a lockeroom. I think it was "tarantino" quality language. There were constant references to sex acts (sort of the point of the movie sort of). I was never wildly uncomfortable watching it with my son though I came pretty close on a few scenes that ended or took a turn just in the nick of time.

It was about as "guy movie" of a comedy that I can ever remember seeing. Not sure women would enjoy it nearly as much if at all. I would NEVER bring a daughter to it, not even if she was 25 because that would be very uncomfortable to me. It was a moralistic tale though and gave me fodder to discuss drinking and sex with my kid which was an upside and while it showed plenty of drinking and even some drug usage, it didn't really glorify it and often showed how stupid is really is.

I enjoyed it, would have a lot more not with my son though. It was very close to the mark about average high school kind of guys. They could have made it an PG-13 movie by curtailing the constant stream of curse words and sexual references and maybe ending a few scenes about ten seconds short but it would have been a different movie if they did. I would say it probably is not suitable for a boy under 16 in any case and not suitable for a girl of almost any age. They just won't think it is nearly as funny.

LOL...my dad had a good friend with a daughter my age. We went golfing one day and my dad asked how Kim was doing now that she was a junior in high school.....Don responded that he liked her boyfriend but was very uneasy with him....."because I know why he is there!!!" And know that I have a 13 year old daughter....that is so TRUE!!!!!

not suitable for a girl of almost any age. They just won't think it is nearly as funny.

Well I don't know if my wife and a couple of our friends that are female would fall under the "girl" category but they - especially my wife - really enjoyed it. My wife was about to start crying she was laughing so hard... at the end.

When you're high school aged, your whole brain is focused on raunchiness. :D

It was about as "guy movie" of a comedy that I can ever remember seeing. Not sure women would enjoy it nearly as much if at all. They just won't think it is nearly as funny.

:D My wife loved it. I know of a few other women who did as well.